Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 06:35:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Secrets of ocean birth laid bare 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5191384.stm#graphic

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Temple of Neith

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Temple of Neith  (Read 5515 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2008, 07:31:55 pm »

Hi, Ian and Mark!!

My $.02 worth, if I may:

I have NO concrete reason at all for what I think, except a 'gut feeling' that I ALWAYS had
about the Greeks and Atlantis: - this is probably the ONLY fact that was 'made up' in the
Atlantis tale.  Either by the priest to flatter Solon, or by Solon to make Greece important
in this narrative. 

I lean to Solon being the one to insert his country in the story.  Were not Greece important,
this 'tale' may have been lost with the passage of time......also, were the Greeks not involved,
it may not even have earned a 'listen'.  After all, isn't the word HUBRIS Greek?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 07:39:20 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2008, 01:11:33 pm »

I hear you, Bianca, but I have to say, if the Greeks weren't involved with the war, what would be the point of the whole story..?  I've heard that analysis before, George Erikson also seems to think that the Greek involvement was up for debate.

I actually hold a differing view. There was a prehistoric war between an ancient power in the Atlantic, we've lost it in time (records before 2000 bc are pretty sketchy), and the reason why we don't have any records of it is because Sais (and the Temple of Neith) was destroyed, where the story was recorded. 

The questions we need to ask ourselves is what part of the Peloponnese was Plato referring to when he was talking about ancient Greece?  I'm guessing that parts of that are now underwater right now, Greece used to be much bigger in ancient times.

The other question we need to ask is, just what constituted Atlantis?  Records being vague as they are, I am still guessing it either emanated from Spain, Morrocco, the Canaries, or somewhere out in the Atlantic.
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2008, 01:15:38 pm »

This is a really cool book that Helios used to push all the time at AR:

Plato Prehistorian: 10,000 to 5000 B.C. Myth, Religion, Archaeology (Paperback)
by Mary Settegast (Author) "The speaker of this passage from Plato's Timaeus was a very old priest of the city of Sais in the Egyptian Delta..."

Fascinating look at prehistoy, August 14, 2002
By  Jeff Hicks (Mansfield, MA United States) - See all my reviews

Prehistoric cultures have always been a mystery unto themselves. How "civilized" were they and what knowledge was passed on to the earliest civilizations of Egypt and Sumer (and in turn future civilizations like Greece) is debatable.
The purpose of this book is to show that Plato may have been referring to actual events that took place during the end of the last ice age. This is not a book about an Atlantis that was comprabable to 2002 technology. This book is about prehistoric cultures that were widespread throughout Europe that were more advanced than current thought would lead us to believe. How advanced is really the question as this book only refers to the possiblilities while presenting it's case. Anyway the belief is that at the end of the last ice age water levels were much lower, hence cultural meccas were wiped out leaving the lesser cultures to carry the torch, when the water levels began to rise to present day levels. These cultures were the Atlantians and the Greeks who fought, according to the priests of Egypt. There's much more to the story but that's the start of it.
This book is very well written and researched. You certainly get a sense of Miss Settegast opinions but she sticks to the facts when reviewing her case. I have read a dozen or so books on the subject and this is by far the best of the lot. If Plato's story is true (and I believe it was to Plato just because of the Solon reference alone), then this is a vey sound theory. Oh and one more thing.... Anyone who thinks that Egyptian and Sumerian civilizations appeared out of nowhere might have a differnt take after reading this book, especially the section about Catal Huyuk.  Comment | Permalink

I recommend that every serious Atlantis researcher pick it up, it is the best book on the ancient evidence for the Magdalenian culture that most likely was Atlantis, and guess what?  They did find evidence for an ancient war - not one with high tech weapons, prehistoric ones, but a war just the same.
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2008, 01:19:44 pm »

Hi Ian ,

Yes that is the passage that has had me puzzled for a long time , I just dont get it. At this point,I am forced to just consider that the ancient Greeks had a poor understanding of their own 'ancient history' which is actually well attested for .Afterall ,Solon didn't even know about Atlantis or his cities great deed of the past.

But then , isn't that chronology for the floods being put forward by the Egyptian priest ?? or is it merely Critias' assertion?? 

something to look into there. Huh Undecided

Hey Mark,

I think that Critias is just repeating what the Egyptian priest is telling him, I think that the Greeks probably only knew of the flood of Deucalion. The same can be said for the reference to the Athenian kings.  You'll note that Georgeos seizes on it to put Atlantis in his favorite timeframe (1500 bc), while conveniently ignoring the reference to the two cataclysms prior to Deucalion.

I think that this was just the earliest time in the Greeks memory.  The Flood of Deucalion story is actually their version of the Noah's Ark story (the tales are similar), and we know that the Noah story was at the start of Christian mythology, shortly after Adam and Eve.
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2008, 01:59:40 pm »

QUOTE:

".......I've heard that analysis before, George Erikson also seems to think that the Greek involvement was up for debate."

George Erikson?  Wow, I am impressed!   

Seriously, Ian, I am no expert, like I said, it's just a 'gut feeling' and, since it is you and Mark that I
was addressing, I was not 'shy' to give my $.02 worth (I consider you BOTH my friends).  I would
never be so bold with any others, I am a Leo and have always been reluctant to make an a** of
myself in public......

Thanks for the 'heads up' on the book.  I am looking forward to reading it, if it's affordable.

Love and hugs,
b
Report Spam   Logged

Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2008, 01:28:29 pm »

Hey Bianca,

Of course we're your friends!  Did you order that book yet?

Thing is, I am not really convinced that George is right about that.  If the war didn't take the place, what would be the whole point of the story, not to mention, how would the Egyptians or Greeks have heard of it?  We have to remember neither people were much for sea-faring, especially towards the Atlantic.

Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2008, 02:26:31 pm »

The book will have to wait 'til next month, Ian.  Even a second-hand one is not possible now,
due to some unforseen expenses I just had.....(money is the root of all evil, if you haven't
got it - I say.....)

You are probably right about the war with Athens.  As I said, mine is just a 'gut feeling'.......

Hugs,
b
Report Spam   Logged

Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2008, 01:27:25 pm »

Hi Bianca,

I hear that, there is always some unforseen expense coming up.  Too bad being an independent researcher doesn't pay anything does it?

It is a good book, I would also recommend Hancock's "Underworld," which I thought was the best of his books.
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2008, 09:55:45 am »

Thanks, Ian.  I will keep both books in mind.

Maybe you'd like to post those titles in the 'Reccomended Books' thread?
Report Spam   Logged

Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2008, 09:48:40 pm »

Sure, Bianca, which forum is that thread in?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: