Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 06:07:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE SEARCH FOR ATLANTIS IN CUBA
A Report by Andrew Collins
http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/articles/atlantiscuba.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

the Richat Structure

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Richat Structure  (Read 11633 times)
Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: January 22, 2007, 09:43:10 pm »

Presumed natural structure similar to Plato's circular city:

Report Spam   Logged

"The most incomprehensible thing about our universe is that it can be comprehended." - Albert Einstein

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 09:46:37 pm »

From Johnee:

This prominent circular feature in the Sahara Desert of Mauritania has attracted attention since the earliest space missions because it forms a conspicuous bull’s-eye in the otherwise rather featureless expanse of the Gres de Chinguetti Plateau in central Mauritania, northwest Africa.
Described by some as looking like an outsized ammonite in the desert, the structure [which has a diameter of almost 50 kilometers (30 miles)] has become a landmark for space shuttle crews.
Initially interpreted as a meteorite impact structure because of its high degree of circularity, it is now thought to be merely a symmetrical uplift (circular anticline) that has been laid bare by erosion. Paleozoic quartzites form the resistant beds outlining the structure.
The reason for the high degree of circularity is not clear.
Report Spam   Logged

"The most incomprehensible thing about our universe is that it can be comprehended." - Albert Einstein
Mark of Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 02:27:43 pm »

Great pics of the "Richat Structure" Brooke .....There is  a similar feature 50km west-southwest of Richat called the "Semsiyat dome" according to the late-great Ulf Richter at the Milos Conference in 2005 .it is only  5000m in diameter tho.
  I notice that in Brookes quote ,Richat  "... has a diameter of almost 50 kilometers... " ,whereas Ulf says it has a diameter of 35 km .  hmmm  ,trivial i guess .

Here's the abstract of his paper  http://www.atlantis-schoppe.de/richter.pdf
That last sentence on page 4 ,i wonder if anyone has made a search for them .
if that address doesnt work i guess i can send the file  ,,   much useful info and ideas in it .

Mark
Report Spam   Logged
Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 03:48:17 pm »

Hi Mark, I've never heard of the Semsiyat dome, I'll look into it, I thought that the Richat Structure was unique.

You mentioned Ulf and the Milos Conference, did you attend that youirself and meet him?
Report Spam   Logged

Mark of Australia

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 10:28:11 am »

Unfortunately not , i never met Ulf ,and i only heard about the Conference after the fact ,  i definitely plan to go the Conference in 2008 .  But from the abstract of Ulf's presentation ,I think he did make a great contribution to Atlantology  ,I believe the uplifted salt dome theory to be correct ,I had previously subscribed to the the volcanic crater theory of Atlantis' circular shape.

Mark
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 03:28:13 am »

Nice Photos 

http://hometown.aol.de/SLVehicles6/Doming-Craters/Dome.htm
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 03:35:31 am by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Mark of Australia

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 11:42:52 am »

HI Qoais

...And this is a response to Julia's belief that the Richat structure must be Atlantis. At face value,I can see why anyone with a basic understanding of Atlantis might think the Richat Structure (RS) to be Atlantis herself. But because the size and location of it do not match Plato's description I don't think it is Atlantis. It does however seem to be the same type of geological feature as the site of Atlantis according to Plato. So let's say that Atlantis is also one of these features but smaller ,with a diameter of 10km or so. That the RS is in the general region of the world where Atlantis is supposed to be, aswell as the Semsiyat dome not far off , it is plausible that another example of this type of geological feature was used as the site of Atlantis.

So I do think that RS is 'evidence' in favor of Atlantis.You just have to now find one of those features on the ocean floor.Then you will have Atlantis..

Although, I consider there is a slight chance that RS could actually be Atlantis ,but it's a long shot.Of course ,it means that after having sunk ,it rose again .This would require a complete rearrangement of the western Sahara.Interestingly ,the ancients seemed to think there was an inland sea there,I don't recall where I read that though unfortunately.....
If Rs is Atlantis atleast the search area is narrowed to a very small location ,the centre circle of RS. I look forward to expedition updates thanks Julia. Tongue.
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 02:08:28 pm »

Hi Mark
I know everyone things Atlantis is underwater, but I think the timeline is wrong, and Atlantis existed back when the land masses were still moving about and thumping into each other.  The Libyan desert used to be a great lake.  It drained out and became the desert.  Cataclysms totally change the landscape, and yes, Atlantis could have been thrown up again.  Remember, after the great flood, everything went "dark" for a very long time.  Plato mentions some kings or something that people have forgotten.  Some people think Atlantis existed at the time of those kings.  That's not necessarily true.  The priest was just telling him, that the Greeks had forgotten tons of stuff, including people who had done great deeds.

This picture shows how the world supposed was, millions of years ago.  How do scientists know it was "millions" of years ago, and how do we know the earth hasn't been inhabitated for millions of years?

From this, it looks like there WAS a great lake in Africa, and I'm sure over time, everything shifted about causing major earth changes.  The world was way different when Plato wrote, than when Atlantis was born.  Plato would have no other means of describing a power coming out of the ocean than what the geography of his day dictated.  Maybe he knew the lay of the land was different, maybe not.  Perhaps it wasn't important to the story.  Maybe he would have clarified that if he'd finished.  But if the desert was a huge lake, with an exit out the west to the ocean, then Plato would still be correct in saying the power came from the ocean.  In HIS day, this would mean thru the Straits of Gibralter, but in the days it really happened, that may not have been the case.

I think it would be very clever of the people to use a structure like the RS to their best advantage.

Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

julia

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 11:02:20 pm »

well Mark How do you know Platos description was the exact measures.I didnt see in Spain anything like Atlantis..I think this was an Island from Morocco to mauritania and Atlantis was connected from the south.And When Atlantis was destroyed the people migrated to sopain(tartessos ) and to the Middle east.May be  the city was on that already ready structure andwas destroyed by a tsunami andafter that thousands of years passed the people forgot how big it was and where it was..until the satellite picture.How can this structure  be spo similar to Atlantis.This is not an accidental similarity..
I thinkCity of atlantis was on this structure .Are you paying attention of those rocks??Why Are thre rocks on this structure(Little rocks May be these are broken down walls of the city..
Report Spam   Logged
Titiea

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 02:48:39 pm »

Hi Julia et al.

There are also circular concentric structures in North sudan, but I feel they are irrigation zones for cutivation as a canal joins them from the Nile (to verify).
Please tell me how I can paste  jpg pictures from Google Earth here ?

Cassandra

Report Spam   Logged

In archeology, ancient traditions must be considered, unless new findings will prove the contrary.
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 06:35:49 pm »

Hi, Cassandra/Titiea,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

If you go back to the main page, you'll see at the very top a section called MESSAGES.  Click on
it and you'll find a subsection that reads HOW TO POST PICTURES.  A lot of us learned how from
that.

I hope you enjoy your stay!

Love and Peace,
Bianca
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Mark of Australia

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 10:00:28 pm »

Welcome to the forum Titiea

I was unaware of the circles in the Sudan ,might be worth checking it out.As for posting pics ,I second what Bianca said . Smiley

Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 10:22:53 pm »

Libya is on the left, Egypt top right, Sudan bottom right.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 10:24:07 pm by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 10:30:52 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Titiea

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 08:28:12 am »

They are not the same as the mines. I don't know how to past here views from Google Earth...
I don't know how to copy the URL of Google view.

However here are the coordinates of the two plane circular concentric structures : 17° 19' 29.09" N,  33° 48' 59.31 E. If you know the processus, put them here. Thank you for your help.
Report Spam   Logged

In archeology, ancient traditions must be considered, unless new findings will prove the contrary.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: