Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 02:20:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Plato's Atlantis: Fact, Fiction or Prophecy?
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=CarolAnn_Bailey-Lloyd
http://www.underwaterarchaeology.com/atlantis-2.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Plesiosaur

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plesiosaur  (Read 6639 times)
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2007, 09:41:11 pm »

Mark,

All the eyewitnesses who claim to have seen a monster in Loch Ness claim it to look like a plesiosaur.  I think it is an awfully big coincidence that plesiosaur fossils have also recently been found in Loch Ness, don't you?  Of course, scientists are quick to write it off as a coincidence!
Report Spam   Logged
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2007, 09:42:51 pm »

Here is the original article, if you are interested!

Pensioner finds 'Nessie' fossil

Experts say the find is not related to Nessie
A Jurassic fossil discovered in Loch Ness by a Scots pensioner could be the original Loch Ness monster, according to Nessie enthusiasts.
The fossilised remains of a 150-million-year-old plesiosaur was discovered by pensioner Gerald McSorley, from Stirling, submerged in shallow water on the bank of the loch.

The long-necked, carnivorous sea reptile which ruled the world's seas between 200 and 65 million years ago - during the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods - bears a striking resemblance to modern images of the Loch Ness monster.

Experts have described the find as extremely interesting, but stressed that it is not related to the famous creature.

Loch Ness did not exist until the last Ice Age - which finished about 12,000 years ago.

The find is very interesting because nothing of its nature has ever been discovered on the shores of the loch before

Dr Lyall Anderson
National Museum of Scotland 
The fossil clearly shows four perfectly preserved vertebrae, complete with spinal chord, and blood vessels, set in grey limestone.

Scientists at the National Museum of Scotland confirmed that the find - the first of its kind in Scotland for more than a century and the first ever at Loch Ness - is evidence that the 35-ft-long monster once existed in the area.

Nessie hunters, who are keeping the exact location of the find a closely guarded secret, will now search the area further for more extensive remains.

Mr McSorley, 67, found the fossil after stumbling in shallow water near the bank of the loch.

More searches

"I literally tripped over the fossil in the water," he said.

"When I put my hands down to steady myself I saw something unusual and picked it up.

"Once I had cleaned off about an inch of green algae, and I could see the texture of the bone, it became clear I had an important fossil. "

Mr McSorley took his find to the National Museum in Edinburgh, where scientists confirmed it was of an adult plesiosaur.

Gerald McSorley discovered the fossil

Mr McSorley, a former scrap merchant, added: "I have always believed in the Loch Ness monster, but this proves it for me.

"The resemblance between this and the sightings which have been made are so similar."

Dr Lyall Anderson, a curator at the National Museum who has examined the fossil, said it formed part of the backbone of a plesiosaur which would have existed in Scotland between 150 and 155 million years ago.

He said: "The find is very interesting because nothing of its nature has ever been discovered on the shores of the loch before.

"It could be that further remains exist in the same area.

"The closest we have is the discovery of plesiosaur fossils at Eathie on the Moray Firth 150 years ago."

Gary Campbell, the president of the Official Loch Ness Monster Fan Club, said it was possible that it was a fossil which originated in the local area.

"On the other hand it could have been planted - probably not by the man who found it, but we have a history of things being planted on the loch conveniently for people to find," he speculated.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3069803.stm
Report Spam   Logged
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2007, 09:44:07 pm »

Sinohydrosaurus fossil displayed in Hong Kong Science Museum
Report Spam   Logged
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2007, 09:44:59 pm »

Styxosaurus
Report Spam   Logged
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2007, 09:46:09 pm »

Thalassiodracon hawkinsi, a Plesiosaur from the Early Jurassic of England
Report Spam   Logged
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2007, 09:47:07 pm »

Thililua longicollis, a plesiosaur from the Late Cretaceous of Morocco
Report Spam   Logged
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2007, 09:48:14 pm »

Trinacromerum bentonianum, a plesiosaur from the Late Cretaceous of Kansas
Report Spam   Logged
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2007, 09:49:16 pm »

Umoonasaurus demoscyllus, a plesiosaur from the Early Cretaceous of Australia
Report Spam   Logged
Mark of Australia

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2007, 10:01:11 pm »

Thanks Melody ,

Am I interested !?!  ,It's very interesting!!  I had not heard of that discovery ,If it turns out to be genuine and not planted I think that pretty much explains the myth of Loch Ness ,but I 'm no expert on this subject.

They need to excavate, it would be virtually impossible to plant an entire fossil Plesiosaur! or even much more than a few pieces.

Report Spam   Logged
Melody Stacker
Superhero Member

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2007, 01:27:42 am »

Sure, Mark!  You'll notice that the experts are quick to say it is unrelated to the real Loch Ness Monster, by the way.  According to their plan for the past, the Loch wasn't formed until after the last Ice Age, 12,000 years ago, while this fossil is 150 million years old! 

I always thought that the scientists were a bit quick in dismissing it, though. Here is the exact creature that everyone is looking for in Loch Ness, and they dismiss it!  I think that the Loch was formed much earlier, during a warm spell, and that these creatures have been living there for years.

I'll check on the find more later when I have time.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: