Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 05:41:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: USA showered by a watery comet ~11,000 years ago, ending the Golden Age of man in America
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050926/mammoth_02.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Iran, how best to deal with it?

Poll
Question: Iran's nuclear aspirations are a problem. What is the best way to handle it?
Bomb them back into the Stone Age. - 4 (23.5%)
Negotiate with them, like we did with North Korea. - 13 (76.5%)
Total Voters: 17

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iran, how best to deal with it?  (Read 717 times)
Roy McGiness

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 11:21:41 am »

I say we bomb them!  A nuclear powered Iran will surely supply the Islamic fascists with nuclear weapons as well, and that is something we cannot have.
Report Spam   Logged
the Hawk

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 01:04:06 pm »

Invest in gold and euros!  Just as they can buy up America, we can invest in property overseas. 
We have to remember, it's a global economy.  

Do you work for COINTELPRO  ??  Huh

No, are you a LIBERAL??
Report Spam   Logged
the Hawk

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 01:07:01 pm »

How are Iran's nuclear ambitions a problem?

Why is it an issue that even requires being "deal(t) with"?

They are a sovereign nation. Does not the right to self determination extent to them as well?
This "preemptive" action that has been taking place is not human. I find it perfectly acceptable to defend oneself after you have been attacked. Not before!

If you walk down the street and arbitrarily shoot someone, you will go to jail. Even if you we acting on good intelligence (that had lied to you before Wink) that said the victim may have, at some time in the future, been able to attack you, you go to jail because it is wrong. This, however, is exactly what the United States and our groupies (coalition) are doing.

One must remember that most, if not all, of what we here in the U.S. read, see, or hear about Iran is propaganda, in the purest sense of the word.

The people that are spouting this propaganda are the exact same people that said their was "weapons of mass destruction in Iraq".

They have lied to us many times before. Why should we believe them now?

I for one think that it would be perfectly acceptable if Iran built nuclear power plants. They could even build nuclear weapons (everybody else has them USA, England, Russia, France, Pakistan, India, China, Israel?, ...) if they so choose. However, if they actually attacked another country, physically not just with words, then they should feel the wrath of the entire world. Up until that point they should be considered free and soveriegn, and should have the ability to progress, as a country, in any way that they see fit.

The right to self determination is one of the tenants of a free society. Who are we to pick and choose who gets that right?

Jake

Jake, I find your worldview a bit naive. Iran supports several terrorist squads that would just love to get their mitts on a nuclear weapon where, I imagine they would like to make their world tours - blowing up Israel, Madrid, London and New York.  Do you really think that Iran would not give them the means to do so when they are already giving them their missiles?
Report Spam   Logged
the Hawk

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 01:08:04 pm »

I say we bomb them!  A nuclear powered Iran will surely supply the Islamic fascists with nuclear weapons as well, and that is something we cannot have.

I agree with you, Roy, we need to bomb them, bomb them again, and after that is all over with, we need to bomb them some more.

God Bless America.
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 01:41:40 pm »

You two call yourselves   C H R I S T I A N S?
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Trent
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 03:11:53 pm »

I agree, Bianca, it is sure hard to figure the people out who call themselves Christians these days. A lot of them sure don't behave in a very Christian manner.

Maybe a better word for the would be, say,

hypocrites..?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 03:12:27 pm by Trent » Report Spam   Logged

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 03:55:19 pm »

Hi, Trent,

I'd say ATTILA AND THE HUNS is more suitable, under the guise of Christianity.

Wasn't it Ghandi who praised Jesus but could not say anything good about His followers?

Blessed be,
b
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 04:15:01 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Jake

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 10:03:42 am »

But you forget Bianca2001, they are portraying themselves just as a true "Christian" would. If one reads the entire bible, you get a sense that indeed might makes right, and any harm that you bring upon another people must surely be their "god's" will.  Cheesy

Furthermore,
Iran supports several terrorist squads

Hawk, can you support these assertions with any material outside of the U.S. media (their credibility is already strongly in question Wink)?

Yes most people in Iran have good cause to not like our government very much. After all we did assassinate their leader and install one of our own. Oh thats right they, the people of Iran, ousted him and put up a leader of their own choosing. I guess thats why our government does not like them very well either (heavens forbid, a country that will not submit to our will!).

Jake
Report Spam   Logged
Roy McGiness

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 10:35:35 am »

Jake, maybe you're too young a feller to remember, but those crazy iranians also took our embassy captive back in 1979.  Did you ever hear of that?
Report Spam   Logged
Jennifer O'Dell
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2007, 01:30:51 pm »

Dick Vader / Darth Cheney

Bill Mitchell
Mitchell's cartoons used to appear in print. Then during a National Arts Journalism Fellowship, he was given a T-1 connection, a Mac and shown the Web. He's been AWOL from newspapers, living in the Northern Rockies and publishing online since '95. Comments? Yell at Mitchell
Report Spam   Logged
Jake

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2007, 04:07:03 am »

Jake, maybe you're too young a feller to remember, but those crazy iranians also took our embassy captive back in 1979.  Did you ever hear of that?

Do we know why they did this?

How about, the fact that they were taking control of their country from an oppressive leader that we, the United States, had (re)installed into power. It seems only logical to me that they would want to rid their country of the influence that gave them the "Shaw", as well.

The fight for Iranian oil is not a new battle.

In 1951 the Iranian parliament voted unanimously to nationalize the oil industry. This push was led by Dr. Mohammed Mossadegh, who a month later was elected prime minister of Iran. This did not please England, as they lost the Anglo-Iranian oil company. Consequently they placed an embargo on Iranian oil. Then U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower and his Secretary of State, John Foster Dulles, directed the C.I.A. to work with British intelligence in masterminding a coup that eventually toppled Mossadegh from power.

The overthrow of Mossadegh put the Shaw (Mohammad Reza Pahlavi) back into power (1953). In 1975 he (the Shaw) abolished the multi-party system of government and ruled through a one-party state, in autocratic fashion.

In 1979 the Ayatollah Khomeini returned to Iran, and established a revolution that brought about the dissolution of the monarchy. The Ayatollah appointed an interim government of his own, and the Shaw was forced to flee Iran.

The Shaw became a man without a country after that. He went to Egypt, later lived in Morocco, the Bahamas and Mexico. But he became ill with lymphoma and needed medical treatment. President Jimmy Carter gave him permission to enter the United States for treatment, the decision angered the Iranian revolutionaries.

The revolutionaries demanded the Shaws return to Iran, to face trial. President Carter's refusal led to the (Nov. 4, 1979) kidnapping of workers at the U.S. embassy in Tehran. It is interesting to note that this was not the first time the revolutionaries took over the U.S. embassy in Tehran. The first time was Feb. 14, 1979 but the revolutionaries withdrew. They came back only after we (the U.S.) refused to extradite the Shaw back to Iran to face a trail.

Here is another point to ponder.

On July 3, 1988 the USS Vincinnes (US Navy Guided Missile Cruiser) while in Iranian waters shot down an Iranian airliner (Iran Air Flight 655).

In reference to this downing of the airliner, then Vice President George HW Bush said "I will never apologize for America, I don't care what the facts are..."

The Iranians historically have far more to fear from western powers than "we" have to fear from them.

Jake

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind.

And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so.

How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar."

- Julius Caesar -

Report Spam   Logged
Roy McGiness

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2007, 10:37:29 pm »

Jake, there is no excuse for condoning hostage taking - none!  You start making apologies for that, where does it end?  Some people probably think those nutty Muslims were justified in taking out the Trade Centers, too.  You don't condone criminal acts - period.

As for George H.W. Bush not apologizing, I am sure he (or somebody working for him) would have if it weren't an Iranian jet liner we shot down. We haven't had diplomatic relations with the Iranians since 79.
Report Spam   Logged
Jake

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2007, 12:41:40 am »

That's all well and good, because we do not take hostages, we just shoot down airliners.

Not having "diplomatic relations" with a country does not allow one to shoot down whatever aircraft flies from their airspace. Especially civilian traffic.

The whole not having "diplomatic relations" thing, is funny on its own.

Have you ever heard of IRAN CONTRA?

Apparently we do not have to have "diplomatic relations" with a country to supply them with weapons. Wink

I have stated why I believe that they present no clear danger to us, or anyone else for that matter. (Still waiting on the info about the terror squads)
However, my views aside, it is obvious that this build up of public support will lead to the attacking of Iran, their supposed/real retaliation, and the removal of the few rights that we have left to "protect" us.

They are not a threat to us, we are a threat to them.

It is obvious to me that you "Roy", are not interested in talking facts. You are here to spout one liners and direct the flow of the posting.

Incidentally I will give you credit for the topic 'Why are people not voting Republican.' Most of the other people that are posting on that topic are simply following your lead. All that they can talk about now is how you, supposedly, look, what your drinking habits may be, and (now) how your money was not "god" given or how "god" does not like republicans better (or something to that effect). (HereForNow stuck to his guns (very eloquently) for a while, but even he lost out to the twinkie comment.) Most are no longer talking about the issue at hand, the Republican's policies.

You, "Roy", as brilliantly simple as you are at misdirection, shall not hear anything else from me. I do not believe that there is anything worthwhile to be gained from playing the he said/she said game with you.

Furthermore, on the topic of Democrats and Republicans, I am gathering names and numbers to make a comprehensive post on how I feel they are the same. I did say that I will not post again on the topic 'Why are people not voting Republican?', thus I will not. I will defend my view later this week, when I have some time to sit in front of the computer for a while. (As HereForNow pointed out, some of us have to work to get along in this life  Wink)

Jake

“The proposition is this: that in a time of war the commander of an armed force... has the power... to suspend all civil rights and their remedies, and subject citizens... to the rule of his will... If true, [our] republican government is a failure, and there is an end of liberty regulated by law.”
  - David Davis - (1815-1886)

Report Spam   Logged
Lawrence Fragg

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2007, 01:36:31 am »

Jake, I would hate to think of what would happen if people like you were in charge of the government.  We'd end up apologizing (apparently for existing in the first place), betraying our friends and letting the Arabs bomb us at will, with our only response a vain attempt to understand their motives.

You'd offer therapy and sympathetic understanding when we should be bombing the hell out of them.

In the Republican Party, we have a name for people like you, it's called "delusional." 
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: