Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 06:03:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hunt for Lost City of Atlantis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3227295.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

BURMA : This Happened While You Slept Lastnight

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BURMA : This Happened While You Slept Lastnight  (Read 278 times)
Jake

« on: October 02, 2007, 04:19:29 am »

We always seem to forget that there are still millions of people in this world who may as well be slaves.

These people simply want to be free and have the right to self-determination.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=484903&in_page_id=1811

As the "civilised" western countries fight over oil and power.

Jake

"Democracy is when the indigent, and not the men of property, are the rulers."
Aristotle
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 11:23:52 pm by Jake » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Majeston

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 06:01:33 am »

Jake

"Democracy is when the indigent, and not the men of property, are the rulers."
Aristotle

Sure Jake,

You're such a progressive sound thinker. 
Let's not just make the indigent the rulers,  let's make the rulers of everybody the LAZY, INDIGENT, DEFORMED, OBESE, IGNORANT,  CRIMINAL, MYOPIC,  YOUNG & INEXPERIENCED,  DEVIATE;  QUEER;  UNEDUCATED; THE RULERS FOR ALL OF US.   AND LET'S NOT FORGET THE ASTROLOGERS.  LOL
 Grin
Report Spam   Logged

"melody has power a whole world to transform."
Forever, music will remain the universal language of men, angels, and spirits.
Harmony is the speech of Havona.

http://mercy.urantia.org/papers/paper44.html
Sarah
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 11:46:07 pm »

I rather like Jake's point of view. True, he could do with a little more respect for the Jews, but he seems to fancy himself a champion of the downtrodden.

Perhaps it is about time they had a champion.  Look where the world has come to with none but the wealthy, the overprivilieged and the powerful ruling it for all these years. 

Our leaders would do well to have a little more humility.  Our best leaders are those who have suffered - Franklin Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln, David Ben-Gurion, John F. Kennedy.  Mr. Bush hasn't suffered a day in his life, which is why he makes such a  poor leader.

Sarah
Report Spam   Logged

"If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, may my right hand fail..." - King David, Psalms 137:5

http://www.zwoje-scrolls.com/shoah/index.html

http://www.holocaustchronicle.org/
Jake

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 10:36:07 am »

Thank You Sarah,

Wouldn't it be nice if those in power did not come from so much power already.

Majeston, I was not the one who came up with this saying, I simply felt it appropriate to this topic. Most people do feel that Aristotle was a very "progressive and sound thinker".

Perhaps Plato might be more your speed. In his "Republic" the government has the majority of power while the people simply work for it. (Hey wait a minute that sounds familiar?  Wink)

Now lets see about this list of yours.

Lazy - by the nature of this action, these people would not want to lead anyway
Indigent - most of the indigent of this world are that way because of big governments/corporations they also are the ones who can make do with very little and usually find the most novel way to solve problems. Doesn't sound like that bad of a leader to me.
Deformed - It is not someones physical characteristics that make them good leaders. In fact a deformity would lead to humility. As Sarah so aptly put it, "Our best leaders are those who have suffered..."
Obese - Once again, just because someone is bigger that a rail does not mean that they are incapable a leading. Physical size has no bearing on intelligence, or ability to lead. Please refer to Sarah's quote.
Ignorant - Well we already have a leader that fits this statement (Who did you vote for?)
Criminal - All crimes are dictated by the law. A law that the Government makes. It would tend to follow that some of the laws from a bad, oppressive, totalitarian type government would also be bad, and thus some of the criminals might not be that bad. Mind you I am note advocating that child rapists or mass-murderers should be put in charge. I am saying that not all those that are "criminal" are bad.
Myopic - Once again it can be argued that we already have a leader who exhibits this trait. (Who did you vote for?)
Young & Inexperienced - You cannot judge the quality of a leader by his or her age or experience. Those are merely factors impressed upon us by the current political system. When the Declaration of Independence was written, how much experience did those men have at revolting against their rulers? Furthermore Edward Rutledge, of S. Carolina, was only twenty-six years of age when he signed. In addition, the current Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, was only fifteen years old when he was officially installed in his position. Age, nor experience matters much when one looks at the ability to lead.
Deviate - This is a standard, once again, impressed upon a people by their political or "spiritual" leaders. In ancient Rome, you were not considered a deviate if you took part in glutenous orgies. In ancient Greece it was not deviant of a man to covet young boys. Today it is. Now I am not condoning either of these examples, I am using them to show how the public deviation of a person can be entirely subjective. I am fairly certain that we all have a thing or two that others would consider deviant. (Be truthful with yourself now Wink)
Queer - How can ones sexual orientation make them an unsuitable leader? I do not think that it should even factor into the equation anywhere other than Fox News.
Uneducated - Once again (Who did you vote for?)
Astrologers - Many a great leader, even in the current age, would not leave home without an astrologer by their side. Most astrologers, that I know, would make very good leaders.

But I digress.
This topic is about the Burmese people and thier, violently, oppressive government. I do hope that someone will comment on this topic rather than my view of the world.

Jake

(P.S. I have the upmost respect for the Jewish people. It is the state of israel with which I have an issue or two. Wink)

Report Spam   Logged
Jake

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 11:26:09 pm »

Burmese soldiers shooting demonstrators:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7ba_1191451163&p=1

Aren't U.S. backed military coups just swell!  Wink

Report Spam   Logged
Jake

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 07:00:40 pm »

I find it curious that as the militant government of Burma has effectively blocked the majority of information coming into and ,more importantly, blocked most of the information getting out of that (police) state, we do not even discuss it.

Based on the other forums that I have seen, this one's occupants seem to exhibit a great deal of intelligence, for the most part. However, when a subject comes up that has any bearing, at all, with life today, it is usually met with silence. Save for the few of us who dare post.

We need to have some dialog about the issues that are occurring now. These are the issues that we may, even in the smallest ways, be able to change for the better. Just talking about issues of civil rights violations, that are happening while you sleep, can make a difference. Awareness has always been the precursor to change.

Jake
Report Spam   Logged
KMFDM
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 07:38:28 pm »

I totally agree with you, Jake, however, since Burma has stopped information from going in and out of Burma, there really isn't a whole lot of news.

We all know that the only way the American government would get involved would be if there was oil involved.  Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Jake

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 10:57:11 pm »

By Lee Rogers - IntelStrike Contributing Writer 

George W. Bush has declared the Constitution null and void yet again. This time, Bush has used the crisis in Burma as an excuse to issue an executive order that further undermines the Constitutional rights of the American people. Thus far Bush has declared himself a dictator in the case of a national emergency, has stomped on the Constitution by abolishing the fourth amendment through a vaguely worded executive order that claims the government has the power to block the property of people without due process who might be undermining democracy in Lebanon and by abolishing the fifth amendment through another vaguely worded executive order that claims the government has the power to block the property of individuals who undermine Iraq reconstruction including Iraq war protesters.
Bush’s new executive order claims the government has the power to block the property of people who might be directly or indirectly supporting the Burmese government. The executive order was issued today and can be accessed here. The language in this new executive order is very similar to the previous aforementioned executive orders and expands the scope of people who the government can seize property from without any sort of probable cause, warrant or due process.

In the first section of this new executive order Bush expands the scope of the national emergency declared back in 1997 as the excuse for its issuance. He also uses vague language to determine the criteria for seizing an individual’s property. According to the language in the executive order, an individual who the government determines provides even accidental indirect support without any sort of due process can have their property seized. The first section of the executive order is shown below.

I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, hereby expand the scope of the national emergency declared in Executive Order 13047 of May 20, 1997, and relied upon for additional steps taken in Executive Order 13310 of July 28, 2003, finding that the Government of Burma’s continued repression of the democratic opposition in Burma, manifested most recently in the violent response to peaceful demonstrations, the commission of human rights abuses related to political repression, and engagement in public corruption, including by diverting or misusing Burmese public assets or by misusing public authority, constitute an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States, and I hereby order:

Section 1. Except to the extent provided in section 203(b)(1), (3), and (4) of IEEPA (50 U.S.C. 1702(b)(1), (3), and (4)), the Trade Sanctions Reform and Export Enhancement Act of 2000 (title IX, Public Law 106–387), or regulations, orders, directives, or licenses that may be issued pursuant to this order, and notwithstanding any contract entered into or any license or permit granted prior to the effective date of this order, all property and interests in property of the following persons that are in the United States, that hereafter come within the United States, or that are or hereafter come within the possession or control of United States persons, including their overseas branches, are blocked and may not be transferred, paid, exported, withdrawn, or otherwise dealt in:

(a) the persons listed in the Annex attached and made a part of this order; and

(b) any person determined by the Secretary of the Treasury, after consultation with the Secretary of State:

(i) to be a senior official of the Government of Burma,

the State Peace and Development Council of Burma, the Union Solidarity and Development Association of Burma, or any successor entity to any of the foregoing;

(ii) to be responsible for, or to have participated in, human rights abuses related to political repression in Burma;

(iii) to be engaged, or to have engaged, in activities facilitating public corruption by senior officials of the Government of Burma;

(iv) to have materially assisted, sponsored, or provided financial, material, logistical, or technical support for, or goods or services in support of, the Government of Burma, the State Peace and Development Council of Burma, the Union Solidarity and Development Association of Burma, any successor entity to any of the foregoing, any senior official of any of the foregoing, or any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to Executive Order 13310 or section 1(b)(i)-(v) of this order;

(v) to be owned or controlled by, or to have acted or purported to act for or on behalf of, directly or indirectly, any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to Executive Order 13310 or section 1(b)(i)-(v) of this order; or

(vi) to be a spouse or dependent child of any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to this order or Executive Order 13310.

In section 5 of the executive order Bush states that the Constitution is null and void as it pertains to this executive order. This section states that because of the ability to transfer funds or assets instantaneously that the government does not need a warrant or provide an individual with due process in order to seize an individual’s property because it would make the purposes of the executive order ineffectual. This is similar language that Bush has used in his previous unconstitutional executive orders. Section 5 of the executive order is shown below.

Sec. 5. For those persons whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to section 1 of this order who might have a constitutional presence in the United States, I find that because of the ability to transfer funds or other assets instantaneously, prior notice to such persons of measures to be taken pursuant to this order would render these measures ineffectual. I therefore determine that for these measures to be effective in addressing the national emergency declared in Executive Order 13047, and relied upon for additional steps taken in Executive Order 13310, and expanded in this order, there need be no prior notice of a listing or determination made pursuant to this order.

Bush does not have the authority to say that he can seize the property of people without a warrant or without due process simply because there is technology to transfer funds instantaneously. Like Bush’s previous executive orders this new one pertaining to Burma is a clear violation of both the fourth and fifth amendments and shows yet again that he is hell bent on tearing the Constitution into a million pieces. Due process, appropriate search warrants and other protected rights referenced by the Constitution are not mentioned anywhere in this new executive order.

George W. Bush is a traitor to this country and he needs to be held accountable for his actions. How can a President get a way with issuing three similar executive orders which between them all declare the fourth and fifth amendments and for that matter the Constitution null and void in a so called free country? The answer is simple, the United States is not a free country and anybody saying so is a liar.
http://www.blacklistednews.com/view.asp?ID=4561

Well, at least somebody is following the situation in Burma.  Cheesy

The only problem, isn't this a civil rights topic.  Wink

Jake
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: