Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 01:39:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Underwater caves off Yucatan yield three old skeletons—remains date to 11,000 B.C.
http://www.edgarcayce.org/am/11,000b.c.yucata.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

An Inconvenient Truth

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Inconvenient Truth  (Read 7399 times)
Proteus

« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2007, 03:04:18 pm »

Same old Merl, each time he begins losing an argument (and, coincidentally, his "poise" as well), he begins to call out the old ball and chain (Meta) for back-up.  I imagine, if things begin to get really heated, we shall be seeing "Shep" here as well.

Guys,

I don't the patience of Brooke or the resolve of Merl, so I'm just going to pick and choose what I feel like commenting on.  Jason, most of your last replies make you look like an angry teenager and it's you who is acting the fool.

Says who, yourself?  Being Merl's wife, Meta, that doesn't actually make you the most impartial observer now, does it?  Anyone who has read any of this can see that the young man has always been calm, even respectful at times, whereas, Merl has consistently played the part of an ass. Must be pleasant being outclassed by a college student.

First and foremost, I think it's obvious that Merl's trying to explain the complexity of the process to you without rubbing your noses in the obviousness of some of it.  Since I really don't care, I'll go right ahead and do it.

To explain the complexity of the process, one has to have a grasp of it first and, near as I can tell anyway, this is simply another line of his bull (i.e., "I've decided the theories behind global warming has no merit, therefore everyone else should come to that conclusion as well").  Neither of you has actually managed to rub anyone's nose in anything, you are forever rescuing one another, though, it seems.

You are lucky, I would have made it harder on you by asking you to explain the significance of all the measurements of deuterium concentrations, oxygen isotope compositions, isotopic composition of O2 and N2, N20 levels and isotopic composition, sodium ion concentrations, CO2 and methane levels, and 14C concentrations. 

And that has exactly what to do with any of this, Meta (or is is Merl this time)? Even if deuterium is a contributor to the effect of global warming, CO2 and methane are still considered to be the overall causes. Of course, other elements effect climate, the reason greenhouse gases get the most blame is because they trap heat in the atmosphere and warm the earth.  The more greenhouse gases are trapped, the more the earth is warmed. Strip away all the other factors people factor into this - solar variations, lag times, even storms  and that is still what you have.  It has been proven time and again over time, and it is proving itself again right now.

I think it's obvious that neither of you are interested in questioning the data so I don't see why you don't just come right out and say it.

You mean, it's obvious that none of them share his skepticsm.  Why doesn't Merl just come right out and admit it, he's a global warming skeptic?

Instead, you make jokes, pick at him and tell him he's all messed up.

Except that if you read back over the last page, hubbie Merl is the one making all the jokes and telling people they are all messed up, Meta.  The college students look more mature than he does!

Your tactics really do look juvenile to those of us who have a basic grasp of chemistry and didn't mind reading the information he referenced.

Juvenile?  Excuse me, isn't he the one insulting people and calling in his wife for back-up?  How juvenile is that?

You should try looking at the data for once.  At the very least it will make you a better informed supporter.

You don't know that any of us have or have not looked at the data, and you don't even know if any of us have seen more data than either of you.  Glad to hear that you are not quite the global warming skeptic that he has become, Meta, perhaps, in that case, you would also like to debate Merl..?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: