Atlantis Online
April 18, 2024, 11:51:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists Confirm Historic Massive Flood in Climate Change
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20060228/

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Animal Abuse: What It Is & When to Speak Up

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Animal Abuse: What It Is & When to Speak Up  (Read 48 times)
Brittany
Superhero Member

« on: September 30, 2007, 03:13:56 am »

Animal Abuse: What It Is & When to Speak Up
Posted Mon, Sep 17, 2007, 10:00 am PDT

What exactly is animal abuse? To me, a human is abusive toward an animal when he doesn't respect the animal as a different -- but equal -- being.

If a human is frustrated or angry at a dog and therefore strikes out at it, I consider that abuse. When a human is struggling with rage issues or other stresses in his own life and takes it out on a dog, that is also abusive.

But abuse is never acceptable. There is never a good reason to strike a dog. Establishing leadership and setting rules is not the same as punishing or instilling fear in a dog.

Never correct an animal out of anger or frustration. When you do, you are usually more out of control than your dog is. And whatever your excuse for such behavior, you are doing more harm than good. You are likely to set back your dog's progress, because animals do not respond to frustrated or angry energy -- they will only perceive you as unbalanced.

As a pack leader, your job is to teach. And to accomplish this goal, you must always remain in a calm-assertive state of mind. For some people, this may be a challenge -- but perhaps that is why this animal is in your life, so that both of you can learn a healthier way of behaving.

You can help stop the cycle of violence. Learn the laws and statutes pertaining to animal abuse and neglect in your area, and if you suspect that an animal is being abused or neglected, please speak out by contacting your local humane society, animal shelter, or animal control agency immediately. These agencies usually have the authority to enforce their own local laws related to animals, as well as the ability to investigate and resolve the situation. But they rely on citizens like you to be alert and to report animal suffering. You may choose to remain anonymous, though providing your name and contact information will allow the group to follow up with you if necessary.

For more on this important subject, please visit my Web site:

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/features/againstabuse.php
Report Spam   Logged

"Silence lays steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and we who walk here, walk alone."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Brittany
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 03:15:52 am »

Showing an animal strong leadership and giving it rules is not the same thing as instilling fear and punishing it. A quick, assertive touch is not the same as a strike.

Never strike a dog. Never let an animal push your buttons. Never, ever correct an animal out of anger or frustration. When you try to correct your dog out of anger, you are usually more out of control than your dog is. You are fulfilling your own needs, not the animal’s. The dog will sense your unstable energy and often escalate the unwanted behavior.

You are there to teach and show leadership. If you’re going to correct your dog, always remain in your calm-assertive state of mind. For some, this may be a challenge, but perhaps that is why this animal is in your life, so that both of you can learn a healthier way of behaving.

The first time I witnessed animal abuse was when I moved to Mazatlan as a child. It tore me up inside to see people throwing rocks at dogs and swearing at them. Later, as an adult, I witnessed first hand the effects of abuse on dogs. I have seen animals that have been hit and kicked, neglected puppies tied to trees in backyards for days and dogs denied food and water.

One memorable case is Popeye. Popeye lost an eye in an illegal dog fight. After this, his owners abandoned him. With his new vision impairment, Popeye felt vulnerable, grew suspicious and became very aggressive toward other dogs in an attempt to intimidate them.

Rosemary was also used in illegal dog fights. When she lost a particularly important fight, her owners poured gasoline over her and set her on fire. A rescue organization stepped in and saved her life, but the horrific experience turned her into a dangerously human-aggressive dog.

Luckily, I was able to rehabilitate both Popeye and Rosemary and provide them with the proper leadership they needed to be fulfilled and feel safe. However, not all dogs are this fortunate. Out of fear, abused dogs may attack, and even kill, humans. Society often sentences these dogs to death, even though it was because of humans they became aggressive.

Help us stop the cycle of violence. If you know of an animal that is being abused or neglected, please speak out. Contact your local humane society, animal shelter, or animal control agency immediately. These agencies have the authority, in most areas, to enforce local laws related to animals, as well as the ability to investigate and resolve the situation. They rely on citizens like you to be alert and report animal suffering. You may choose to remain anonymous, though providing your name and contact information will allow the group to follow up with you if necessary.

For more information, please visit:
The Human Society of the United States
American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/features/againstabuse.php
Report Spam   Logged

"Silence lays steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and we who walk here, walk alone."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: