Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 07:29:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ice Age blast 'ravaged America'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6676461.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Meeting a Dog for the First Time

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meeting a Dog for the First Time  (Read 496 times)
Brittany
Superhero Member

« on: September 30, 2007, 03:09:06 am »

Meeting a Dog for the First Time
Posted Fri, Jun 01, 2007, 10:00 am PDT

By Cesar Milan

Anyone who has ever interviewed for a job knows the importance of a first impression. To a dog, every new human being is an interviewee, and the impression you make during the first encounter is crucial to the development of a healthy relationship!
Some important things to remember:

1. Do not initiate contact with the dog. No matter how great the urge to crouch down to her level to play, remember that a new dog doesn't see you as a playmate. Until she has time to assess you and make up her mind, you're a stranger.

2. Allow the dog to analyze your scent. A dog sees the world in a different way than a person does. We sometimes assume that they will respond to us if we communicate by sound first, then sight, then smell. It might surprise some people to learn that they actually have it backwards! Let her explore your scent fully before attempting any other interaction. Do not touch, talk to, or make eye contact with her during this ritual. Once the dog is satisfied that there is no more to smell, she will give you a sign. Submission may come in the form of a friendly rub or touch, inviting you to give affection.

3. If the dog displays signs of aggression, the important thing is not to panic. A calm-assertive stance from you coupled with avoiding direct eye contact shows her that you are not a threat. If the aggression continues, make clear to your host that you are uncomfortable and have them remove the dog in a calm, firm manner.

4. If the dog has decided to ignore you, don't force attention or affection on her. The dog means no offense; she's just not interested. The best thing to do is just ignore her as well.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 03:10:13 am by Brittany » Report Spam   Logged

"Silence lays steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and we who walk here, walk alone."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Diana13

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 09:55:08 am »

When I applied on my first job, I failed because I do not have a good resume. Now, resume prime is ready to help applicants to have a good resume. It is something that the employers would love to see. It can be a good factor when applying. It may stand as your edge over your competitors.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: