Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 03:19:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Towering Ancient Tsunami Devastated the Mediterranean
http://www.livescience.com/environment/061130_ancient_tsunami.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

ShadowGram (SG) Official Dark Shadows (DS) News Online Update # 410

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ShadowGram (SG) Official Dark Shadows (DS) News Online Update # 410  (Read 99 times)
It Crawled from Out of the Sea, the Leviathon from the Depth

« on: October 21, 2018, 10:22:40 pm »

ShadowGram (SG) Official Dark Shadows (DS) News Online Update # 410

Sunday,  October 21, 2018

**** Dan Curtis: Old School/New School Special Tribute & Video Highlight Retrospective

**** New DS-inspired music video starring Kathryn Leigh Scott in the role of Elizabeth Collins Stoddard.

**** HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS and NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS on TCM

**** Discovery of the Long-Lost Lyndhurst Garden Film

SHADOWGRAM UPDATE NUMBER 410

Sunday, October 21, 2018

An Official Internet Publication of SHADOWGRAM – THE DARK SHADOWS NEWSLETTER

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

**** DAN CURTIS: OLD SCHOOL/NEW SCHOOL: Special Tribute & Video Highlight Retrospective Honoring the DS Creator & Producer-Director of Classic TV & Film Horror/Gothic Romance

Thursday. Oct. 25, 2018 from 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm

The Paley Center for Media, 25 W 52nd St., New York, NY 10019

Host by Paley curator David Bushman

Including discussion with Dan Curtis Productions' Jim Pierson

Admission:  $12 advance / $15 door

Description:   In the early 1970s, just before Hollywood auteurs like Wes Craven and John Carpenter invented the modern horror film . . . producer/director Dan Curtis dominated television horror with a series of programs reinterpreting traditional genre tropes . . . Curtis had earlier built his reputation as a purveyor of a different kind of horror – first with the Gothic-turned-supernatural daytime soap Dark Shadows (1966 to 1971) and then with a series of TV movies and specials airing between 1968 and 1975, including The Night Stalker, The Night Strangler, Trilogy of Terror, and adaptations of such classic monster tales as Dracula, Frankenstein, The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Turn of the Screw, and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. 

Knowingly or not, Curtis . . . tapped into the zeitgeist of the time – the turbulent sixties, the paranoid seventies – by imbuing classical, literal monsters with human dimensions, beginning with Dark Shadows, whose conflicted, Hamlet-esque vampire, Barnabas Collins, spoke to the outlaw culture of the late sixties. . . With The Night Stalker (1972), scripted by horror legend Richard Matheson (I Am Legend, The Twilight Zone), Curtis once again turned to the classic creature of the night, in this case a vampire terrorizing young women on the streets of Las Vegas, but, in the age of Watergate, stirred in a political cover-up, foreshadowing a rash of literary and cinematic paranoid thrillers. . .

Join us as we explore these and other titles in Curtis’s horror oeuvre, exploring his thematic and aesthetic preoccupations, his evocation of the times, his own influences, and his influence on the men and women who have followed in his footsteps. . .

A preview of the upcoming documentary release Master of Dark Shadows will also be featured.

https://www.miskatonicinstitute.com/events/dan-curtis-old-schoolnew-school-nyc/

****  NEW DS-INSPIRED MUSIC VIDEO STARRING KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT

From the blog post:  Pop singer-songwriter Kyle Motsinger pays homage to Dark Shadows with his new single, aptly called “Dark Shadows.” . . . The accompanying visual, premiering today, is a masterfully-crafted piece of throwback cinema, opening up on a late-night rendezvous to a decrepit mausoleum. Motsinger, who plays the fair-skinned, long-haired protagonist, finds himself at the loving mercy of a vampire named Barnabas Collins, a direct reference to the show, Dark Shadows.

Motsinger’s own fascination with the show and its motifs informs his artistic choices and perceptive direction. With “Dark Shadows,” the New Yorker stages his own gruesome but spellbinding fantasy. “I found my way into the song by imagining myself falling in love with vampire Barnabas in that gothic house of Collinwood,” he says of the dark-club song, which he co-wrote with producer Lorant Duzgun. . . . . Motsinger met Scott in what can best be described as “a moment of serendipity that I’ve never experienced before,” he says. “I sent her the song later and invited her to star in the music video as the character of Elizabeth, the family matriarch originally played by silver screen legend Joan Bennett.” Scott graciously accepted the invitation, and in the video, she dons a dazzling gown given to her by Bennett some years ago.

Online link to the video:

The Music Video Blog:

http://bsidesbadlands.com/kyle-motsinger-kathryn-leigh-scott-dark-shadows-video-premiere/

**** HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS and NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS on TCM

“House of Dark Shadows” and “Night of Dark Shadows” will be seen on Turner Classic Movies early Sunday morning on October 28 at 1:30 am and 3:30 am.  NOTE:  They are listed on the TCM schedule for October 27, and that schedule runs after midnight.  Their schedule for the 28th starts at 6:00 a.m.

**** DISCOVERY OF THE LONG-LOST LYNDHURST GARDEN FILM:

This research has uncovered early images of the property dating to the 1870s as well as documentation from around the turn of the 20th century. . . . Staff found very little such documentation of the grounds dating from between the beginning of the 20th century and the early 1960s, when the National Trust acquired Lyndhurst. Until, that is, an unassuming reel of 16mm film surfaced in the Lyndhurst archives—and opened a new world of living color.  The reel, which was found sitting at the back of a closet, was labeled “Lyndhurst Gardens, 1972,” but on it were 33 minutes of edited color footage from 1942. (Staff were able to establish the date based on a license plate that appears in the film.) The film captures various locations around the garden landscape in long, panning shots.  The discovery of this film is significant because it offers, for the first time, a tangible look at the landscape during the period when Lyndhurst was owned by Anna Gould.

https://forum.savingplaces.org/blogs/special-contributor/2018/08/02/discovery-of-the-lyndhurst-garden-film

This Online Official DARK SHADOWSNEWS ONLIKE UPDATE is an Official Internet Publication of SHADOWGRAM – THE OFFICIAL DARK SHADOWS NEWSLETTER

Marcy Robin – ShadowGram

Shadowgram@aol.com OR Shadowgram1@yahoo.com

Each ShadowGram News Update is posted FIRST through the ShadowGram Group List at Yahoo.com and each Update post is then dispersed to other social media.

You can join the SHADOWGRAM Group List at:  http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/ShadowGram/

You also can request an invitation to join the free Group List. To do so, please email Marcy Robin at ShadowGram@aol.com  OR shadowgram1@yahoo.com

***** SHADOWGRAM’S 50+ YEARS OF “DARK SHADOWS” ACTIVE SUPPORT & INVOLVEMENT

These SHADOWGRAM OFFICIAL DARK SHADOWS ONLINE NEWS UPDATES provide the latest official, confirmed news and announcements for a wide variety of DS-related events, projects, merchandise, and more.

SHADOWGRAM began announcing/reporting/updating the definitive DS news in print 40 years ago in April, 1978. I launched the Online Updates in September, 2001. All my DARK SHADOWS /  SHADOWGRAM / DS FESTIVAL work has always been as a volunteer service for all aspects of the series, those responsible for it, and for DS fans of all ages everywhere, then and now.

Over all the years, I’ve worked directly and closely in numerous capacities with many cast/crew members, Dan Curtis Productions, the DARK SHADOWS FESTIVAL, MPI, Big Finish Productions, Hermes Press, Decades, the media, industry contacts, and others involved with DS then and now. They directly share with me their DS-related news, information, project details, and messages to the fans for SHADOWGRAM to announce, report, and share. I am a co-founder of the DS FESTIVAL – we held the first FEST in 1983 in San Jose, CA – and I am on the all-volunteer staff of each DS FESTIVAL event.

Every SHADOWGRAM OFFICIAL DARK SHADOWS NEWS ONLINE UPDATE premiere-announces and reports the latest confirmed information provided directly to me by the above and many established DS and other sources. I appreciate and thank all who participate and support SG.

PLEASE always include SHADOWGRAM's complete e-mail addresses and Yahoo Group List link information in all your online sharing.

ShadowGram@aol.com

Or

Shadowgram1@yahoo.com

For more information or questions: Please email with your full name and full email address to Marcy Robin at: ShadowGram@aol.com

Thank you.

Marcy Robin –  SHADOWGRAM

__._,_.___
Posted by: shadowgram1@yahoo.com
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: