Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 04:17:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remains of ancient civilisation discovered on the bottom of a lake
http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20071227/94372640.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Breaking: James Gunn Fired From Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking: James Gunn Fired From Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3  (Read 285 times)
Behold, I am Death, Destroyer of Worlds
Superhero Member

« on: July 21, 2018, 02:30:44 pm »

Max EvryJul 20, 2018
2K3
image:

Breaking: James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

UPDATE: James Gunn has released a statement to Entertainment Weekly on his firing from the upcoming Guardians sequel, saying:

“My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative. I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time.’

“Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today. Even these many years later, I take full responsibility for the way I conducted myself then. All I can do now, beyond offering my sincere and heartfelt regret, is to be the best human being I can be: accepting, understanding, committed to equality, and far more thoughtful about my public statements and my obligations to our public discourse. To everyone inside my industry and beyond, I again offer my deepest apologies. Love to all.”

The original story follows.

In a shocking development (via The Hollywood Reporter), Walt Disney Studios has fired writer/director James Gunn from the forthcoming Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, the sequel to the filmmaker’s first two massively successful Guardians films for Marvel Studios. The move comes after several conservative personalities pulled old Tweets by the director from 2009-2012 in which he made transgressive jokes about **** and pedophilia. He has since ceased posting on his Twitter account.

“The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him,” said Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn in a statement.

Before leaving his account, Gunn tweeted, “Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I’ve developed as a person, so has my work and my humor.”

Earlier this year, director James Gunn revealed that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 would be released in 2020. Filming was scheduled to start this Fall in Atlanta, but it is unknown if the film will keep to this schedule. The third Guardians film was meant to be the final outing for the original team lineup, and set up future films in the cosmic arena of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

This is not the first time Gunn’s irreverent humor has come back to haunt him. In 2012, not long after he had been given the job to helm the first Guardians, an article posted on his site in 2011 titled “The 50 Superheroes You Most Want to Have Sex With” came under scrutiny. While it was Gunn’s attempt to parody sexist attitudes of comic fans, some of his writing was a bit too extreme and often mirrored real-life comments from toxic fan culture.

“A couple of years ago I wrote a blog that was meant to be satirical and funny,” Gunn said in a statement in 2012. “In rereading it over the past day I don’t think it’s funny. The attempted humor in the blog does not represent my actual feelings. However, I can see where statements were poorly worded and offensive to many. I’m sorry and regret making them at all. People who are familiar with me as evidenced by my Facebook page and other mediums know that I’m an outspoken proponent for the rights of the gay and lesbian community, women and anyone who feels disenfranchised, and it kills me that some other outsider like myself, despite his or her gender or sexuality, might feel hurt or attacked by something I said. We’re all in the same camp, and I want to do my best to make this world a better place for all of us. I’m learning all the time. I promise to be more careful with my words in the future. And I will do my best to be funnier as well. Much love to all.”

While the controversy ultimately did not cost Gunn his job at the time, the cultural climate has shifted in recent years, with Marvel parent company Disney recently firing Roseanne Barr from her hit sitcom Roseanne for making racist remarks on Twitter. It is unknown who will take over for Gunn on Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, or if the film will be cancelled altogether. The first film was a critical and box office smash, grossing $773 million in 2014, with the 2017 sequel Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 grossing $863 million. Gunn’s blend of edgy humor and genuine emotion set to a classic rock soundtrack helped define the series, and even served as an advisor to the Russo Bros. when they took on the characters for this year’s Avengers: Infinity War.

Keep checking back to ComingSoon.net for more developments in the fate of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.

Read more at http://www.superherohype.com/news/419225-james-gunn-fired-from-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3#UGhdmVzTdtVDfHCG.99
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Behold, I am Death, Destroyer of Worlds
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 02:34:02 pm »

IS JAMES GUNN A 'GUARDIAN' OF SEXISM AND HOMOPHOBIA?
MAX EVRY
11/29/2012

We were pretty excited when Marvel tapped "Slither" director James Gunn as their unconventional choice to helm 2014's comedic sci-fi comic adaptation "Guardians of the Galaxy," as he had the perfect blend of genre love and satiric bent.

Unfortunately, that penchant for wild satire may be coming back to haunt him today, as geek girl site The Mary Sue unearthed a post from February, 2011 on James Gunn's site titled "The 50 Superheroes You Most Want to Have Sex With," which was voted on by fans and then given extensive commentary by Gunn himself. And therein lay the problem.

While it seems like a lot of the "jokes" reveal a bit of a sexist/homophobic streak, if not downright misogyny, an argument could be made that the whole idea of the list itself is meant to be absurd, especially when Gunn calls Gambit "the Galactus of C*ck!"

Here are three particularly unwholesome passages by Gunn; judge for yourself whether this is tongue-in-cheek or foot-in-mouth:

Sue Storm (Invisible Girl): "A+ choice, guys! Just once wouldn’t you want to look back and forth from a pretty blonde’s face, to your **** actually having an orgasm inside of her ****?! I know I would."

Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman): "The whole time I’m f**king her I can’t get her face out of my mind as the skrull leader who tried to conquer the world. I know it’s not her fault, but I just can’t help it. So I finish on her face to help block out the painful memories. There. That’s better."

Wally West (The Flash): "Many of the people who voted for the Flash were gay men. I have no idea why this is. But I do know if I was going to get f**ked in the butt I too would want it to be by someone who would get it over with quick."

Yeah, can't exactly say any of those are knee-slappers, but in Gunn's defense, it's kind of his style to walk that edge. After all, this is the guy that made an episode of "PG-****" called "Nailing Your Wife" (around the time he divorced actress Jenna Fischer, mind you) featuring Nathan Fillion killing Aria Giovanni with a nail gun through the head.

Comics editor Rachel Edidin has come out saying that people close to Gunn insist this was most definitely written to parody lady-hatin' nerds that exist by the thousands, but may have fallen wide of the mark.

"If Gunn’s list is satire, it’s bad satire," says Edidin, "because it skews incredibly close to material that’s not only already out there, but that comes from official media and in some cases industry professionals. There’s a significant slice of the comics community that is that misogynist and homophobic, and says so loudly and frequently."

While we're willing to give Gunn the benefit of the doubt, it's pretty inarguable that this was a failed attempt at un-PC humor, and was most likely taken seriously by a fanbase that prefers its superheroes in outfits that are less-than-2-degrees away from bondage gear. This is not unlike Zack Snyder's extremely degrading female empowerment movie "Sucker Punch," which the filmmakers and cast stressed was all about parodying female stereotypes in comics and video games, but really just enforced images of them as whores in skimpy outfits.

Gunn has already removed the offending items from his site, as well as "Nailing Your Wife," oddly enough. But when you're put at the helm of a high-profile $100-million+ Disney movie, this is the kind of scrutiny you can expect. Removing the piece is not enough, and he will definitely have to make a statement of some kind in the coming days and hopefully create an intelligent dialogue about these attitudes... or just be given the boot by Mickey Mouse.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2769765/james-gunn-guardians-of-galaxy-sexism-homophobia/
Report Spam   Logged
I Am a Fugitive from the Chain Gang
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 10:13:53 am »

Tens Of Thousands Of Fans Urge Disney To Rehire James Gunn

https://centurylink.net/player/category/entertainment/article/newsy_now-tens_of_thousands_of_fans_urge_disney_to_rehire_ja-newsy
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: