Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 01:00:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Site provides evidence for ancient comet explosion
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/nationworld/story/173177.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Living With Astrology....Or, Astrology in My Own Life

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Living With Astrology....Or, Astrology in My Own Life  (Read 688 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: September 28, 2007, 07:28:33 pm »

Living with Astrology... or Astrology in My Own Life

By NEPTUNIA

Astrology is a language. If you understand this language, the sky speaks to you. It tells you what you were born

for and how you can best actualize the potentialities of your own nature. - Dane Rudhyar

When I found astrology over 30 years ago it was quite an impressive experience for me: it was like I had found a key to almost everything. Consequently I draw up and calculated tens of thousands of charts, and became so familiar with my own chart that I know it probably forwards and backwards and even in my dreams. As a lifelong student I never took any astrology courses, probably there weren't any at that time in Finland, but I read all the books I could lay my hands on: from classical astrology to all kind of mumbo-jumbo stuff. It gave a good perspective to astrology.

And I also studied all kinds of astrological techniques, from birth charts to progressions, transits and primary directions, from midpoints to Arabic parts, from return charts to horary astrology, from asteroids to black Moons and invisible planets, from draconic charts to harmonic charts. And also from the Western system to the Eastern system. It meant a lot of drawing and calculations, because there were then no computers calculating and drawing up charts. What did I learn about astrology from all that?

First and foremost I learned the importance of the birth chart itself, and next the value of dwads in all deeper studies. And I also learned that to be a good astrologer you also need a lot of concentration. Reading all that stuff and studying all those charts gave me a very good idea of what really works in astrology, and what doesn't. Or rather: what works for me and what doesn't. As I see it, astrology is a veritable 'leave it or take it' world where you must learn to pick up ideas and astrological methods that are best suited for your personality and your way of thinking.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 08:41:45 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 07:33:45 pm »

NOT FORTUNE-TELLING

True astrology is a form of philosophy and has nothing to do with delving around in other people's future. - Thorwald Dethlefsen

In the beginning of my astrological career I probably - like many other new astrology students - imagined that stars would know my fate and all. Now I am no longer sure about that. Something astrology knows about my fate, but not nearly everything: my fate is in bigger hands.

Many people feel that knowing their astrological prospects prepares them to meet their future and helps them to live a more meaningful life. I didn't see it that way. For me knowing what astrology 'predicted' about my future was like living everything - even the most difficult events - twice, first in studying them astrologically and then as events.

Finally I gave up transit studies almost altogether when my progressed MC crossed my radix Saturn and my progressed Ascendant my radix Pluto almost at the same time. There were enough dark Plutonian and Saturnian dramatics in my life without adding more dark dramatics to them by studying astrological transit interpretations. Looking at the ephemeris just made me anxious, it didn't help. Listening to my own inner feelings and studying my dreams was more helpful.

Nowadays I usually know - roughly - where the transiting Saturn is just now and a bit more, but I almost never study transits beforehand, only afterwards in trying to find meanings in what has already happened.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 07:35:24 pm »

I understand well that many astrologers and astrology students find transit studies helpful in making good choices and decisions. Yet I have sometimes thought that even they often intuitively know their own futures without any astrological help, but they don't trust their own intuitions and thus give the credit to astrology. In my earlier years, when I still sometimes looked what stars had in store for others, I was often quite baffled when people told me that it had "all happened just as you said". And their reports didn't yet sound like that at all.

The main impression was that most people were - at some level - quite aware of what was going to happen in their lives; they 'knew' their own future but didn't consciously know that they knew. They needed an astrologer to put it all into words. They wanted to give the credit to astrology because that made their own intuitions feel more real - and consequently, they often 'remembered' that I had said something that supported their own intuitions, even when I hadn't. But still, astrology was helpful for them: Astrology acted as a language they could use to handle their life situations and their own intuitions better. And that is the main point: not who saw what and how.

In my own life I didn't experience that things would have happened the way they should have happened according to astrology. For some mysterious reason I never learned - or perhaps I didn't want to learn - to use astrology in decision-making, for me decisions had to come from within, not from astrology. Astrology was quite useful but only afterwards, when the decision was already made. If I tried to use astrology beforehand, it felt like I had been interfering artificially in the natural flow of life - and that my astrological interference would just spoil things.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 07:37:42 pm »

BEING YOUR OWN ASTROLOGER

In order to understand astrology one must learn it for oneself. - Thorwald Dethlefsen

To learn more about astrology and about myself I also got several astrological analyses of my own chart from many astrologers. And those analyses were unbelievably different, it was hard to believe that they were all about the same person. Yet all astrologers saw something - just enough to make you think that there was something in astrology. In other words, astrology came alive in those analyses, although I couldn't believe that astrology would be as omnipotent as some astrologers clearly seemed to believe.

I was also slightly bothered by the educational attitude of some astrologers, it felt like they were trying take my life in their hands. Perhaps it was partly because my own attitude: I was a new astrology student eagerly waiting for answers and enlightenment. At that time I knew nothing about the limits of astrology, and I had no idea of how much astrological interpretations depended on the personality of the astrologer.

But although I still knew very little about astrology, I wasn't ready to believe that astrologers would know my karma or my former incarnations. I still don't believe that. Fortunately most astrologers didn't claim that much.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 07:39:36 pm »

All those analyses gave me an excellent overview of how many different ways there was to approach astrological interpretations. And how different astrologers were as personalities. Paradoxically I learned most of those analyses that were complete failures: they taught me a lot about what astrology can do and what it can't, which meant that I no longer could accept any astrological theory or interpretation without studying it carefully and thus finding out by myself out what astrology really was.

Gradually I learned that the most meaningful way - at least for me - was to see astrology as a symbolic language, which could be used to study just about everything. And I also learned that to get the best out of astrology you had to study it yourself.

No amount of astrological theory could ever have made me so eager to find more about astrology than a couple of strange interpretations about me. I just had to find out, how and why different astrologers could see me in so many different ways. Or rather why some astrologers apparently didn't see me at all, or even saw things that didn't exist. When I learned more about astrology I also found out one probably reason for false interpretations: it must have been Neptune in work.

In astrology it is often said that things ruled by Neptune are not what they seem. And Neptunians are hard to define. Apparently I had been too, like a typical Neptunian I - with my Sun conjunct Neptune - apparently had had an invisible identity.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 07:41:12 pm »

Probably this invisibility was also behind the fact that those analyses was so enormously different: they were just as different as astrologers who had made them, apparently astrologers had projected a lot of their own personalities on them. It's, of course, something we all do, we project ourselves on everything we do, astrologers and laymen alike.

The problem is that with Neptunians projections often get worse and sometimes completely overshadow the personality of the Neptunian. And thus every Neptunian would probably benefit immensely from knowing a lot about astrology by themselves so that they could avoid false interpretations.

In other words: Every chart - and especially a chart of a Neptunian - has many possibilities and aspects that even the best of astrologers can't see, yet with some astrological knowledge the chart owner herself or himself can see them. And there is another benefit in knowing astrology yourself: you learn to separate the influence of the astrologer's personality from the interpretation, especially if you know something about the astrologer's own chart.

Astrological knowledge makes you also able to get more out from astrological consultations. Another thing I learned was that, if you can afford it, it's often wise to get another opinion: by comparing different astrological interpretations you'll come closer to the truth.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 07:42:31 pm »

I think that astrologers talk too little about how any astrological interpretation is always a personal opinion, not a truth or a fact. Yet, a strong personal influence is not necessarily always a drawback. A wise and mature astrologer with a very colorful personality can be an excellent astrologer just because of this colorfulness. Such an astrologer can inspire people and get them interested in finding out things by themselves. And the personal impact doesn't necessarily spoil anything, because the more colorful the personality of the astrologer, the better the client will know what is happening: that it's all about inspiration, not necessarily about hard facts. Many clients seem to be looking for inspiration just as much as for interpretations.

Things are sometimes more complicated with a less colorful personality, it's hard to see the impact of personality if the astrologer just dryly lists the 'facts'. With such an astrologer the personal equation may have even stronger influence than with a more colorful personality. The influence is just harder to detect. And this is important because I think that the personal equation is often stronger in astrology than in other human sciences. The same unscientific reputation of astrology as a cosmic or spiritual wisdom, that is a big part of astrology's charm and power, is also bound to create illusions of omnipotence of astrology both in the minds of clients and astrologers. In any case, too many people still believe that astrology reflects an inevitable fate, or that astrologers can see into the depths of other people's psyches and know all the answers.

And no astrologer can truly be such a wonder creature. Even if astrology had such a wonderful power and magic, astrological interpretations would still be made by human beings. And human beings, even at their best, see the world and other people through themselves. Thus only the person herself or himself can see all there is to see in her or his astrological chart, even the best astrologer sees always less. Furthermore, no chart depicts everything, we all have potentials not shown in our charts. In other words, life offers us more freedom and surprises and possibilities than we eager astrology students sometimes quite inadvertently let others believe.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 07:44:38 pm »

THE GIFT OF ASTROLOGY ?

The value of astrology - psychologically speaking at least - does not reside in his ability to tell what is likely to happen (he can never say more!) as much as to help the client to understand fully and in terms of his total being what is happening, or has already happened. - Dane Rudhyar

From the beginning my main interest in astrology has been on the area of psychological or spiritual astrology, mundane astrology or event-oriented astrology - or astrological predictions have never been of great interest to me. Neither has astrology ever been a religion for me. And it even couldn't be. Rather, I have sometimes been forced to move carefully in the astrological world in order not to wander to such outskirts of astrology that might be in conflict with my religious convictions. A small amount of New Age mumbo-jumbo doesn't bother me unless it begins to influence my religious thinking.

In other words for me religion - or rather God, not religion as such - always comes first. I see astrology as a natural part of God's world - and God can, of course, speak through astrology as well as through many other things - but when and how He does it, isn't always so easy to see.

And I also believe that God can, at any time, transcend all the astrological laws and probabilities, or to act according to higher laws that are yet completely unknown to astrology and astrologers. And may even remain so. But that is something you can understand and experience only intuitively, for the most part it all remains a mystery that is altogether beyond astrology.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 07:46:47 pm »

But the great value of astrological synastry (comparing of astrological charts) hasn't remained a mystery for me. Yet I do not believe in choosing your partners or friends astrologically. For me, life chooses, astrology just analyses and interprets. But astrology can be quite useful in unraveling many mysteries in complicated human relationships, especially in those familiar situations where one partner - consciously or unconsciously - tries to manipulate or control the other one, which can, as we all know, be done even through astrological means.

Knowing some astrology yourself is a veritable self-protection technique in such situations. Astrology doesn't solve problems, but it gives a new perspective and insights that can help the manipulated person to avoid becoming an unconscious victim of the other person.

When, for instance, a friend obstinately tries to change you despite all your protests, it's easier to come out unscathed from the pressure if you know and remember how, for example, her or his Pluto (desire for power, manipulation, collective unconscious) is sitting exactly above your own Moon (receptivity, unconscious).

Being aware of the common Plutonian desire for power is a kind of victory already, because then you are not as quick to internalize all kinds of manipulative claims than you might be without such a knowledge. In this respect I see dwads as the number one technique in astrological relationships studies: they reveal better than any other technique all kinds of unconscious power struggles and dictatorial tendencies.

Dwads often help you see, for instance, hidden mental violence for what it is: the worst kind of violence.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 07:48:37 pm »

Thinking back I can say that astrology has played a very important role in my life - and will continue to do so - but the role of astrology has also changed a lot. I no longer expect astrology to have all the answers I probably once did. Now I know all about astrology's limits and pitfalls - or perhaps not all but a lot - which means that I no longer run after every new technique or idea, instead I choose very carefully methods and ideas I accept and use.

At the beginning I was probably looking mostly for self-understanding through astrology, now it sometimes goes the other way around: I am trying to understand astrology better through my own self-understanding.

During the years I have probably become somewhat more critical in my astrological studies, but this hasn't taken anything away from my appreciation of astrology, on the contrary. Knowing the limits of astrology has just made the real stuff come out. Nowadays I no longer think that every birth chart would reflect the chart owner equally well; in some cases it may, for example, describe the environment better than the native.

And even in such cases we can't automatically draw the conclusion that the person in question would be realizing herself or himself any less than someone whose personality is more closley like her or his chart. There are just so many different lifes, paths and tasks, astrology doesn't tell all about them. The problem is that the chart itself doesn't show whether it is more about the person or about the environment.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 07:51:13 pm »

But perhaps this is also a part of astrology's charm: it works on many different levels and doesn't give any ready answers. And it speaks about different things to different people - and also reveals different things to same people at different stages of their lives. My own questions have changed a lot under my astrological journey:

When I was younger I was mainly trying to understand myself and my fate, later on I concentrated more on other people and the world around me, and still a bit later also on astrology as astrology. And also on the relationship between astrology and religion.

But what about the future? I wonder how I will see astrology when I am really old - if a Gemini rising type ever gets truly "old". Perhaps I could sum up my astrological future like this: You always need something interesting and stimulating - and also entertaining - things to keep your mind busy. Not just trivial games or pastimes but something deeply meaningful. And astrology is just that, I could say that it is almost unbeatable in this respect. Thus I could describe my astrological future using the excellent definition of astrology by another Gemini rising type - astrologer Roger Elliot:

Astrology is a serious metaphysical game. It creates a model of the psyche which you can poke, handle, take apart or expand to your heart's content. - Roger Elliot

Neptunia, in July 2005

http://koti.mbnet.fi/neptunia/astrome1.htm
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 07:57:53 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 08:13:37 pm »

Cosmic Counsel

Science and religion have roundly denounced it for hundred of years, yet it finds its way into

newspapers, movie studios—even the White House. What makes Astrology so compelling?

by Damon Goldsmith

Have you ever felt you were part of something larger than yourself? That there is a deeper meaning to the world—something beyond the physical senses? A force that flows through the universe, surrounding us and binding us together? If so, you're probably either a Jedi, or you believe in astrology.

Astrology has enjoyed a new popularity in the second half of the 20th century. Millions still practice it worldwide. In the US, newspapers and magazines carry daily and weekly horoscopes. Americans will buy 20 million books on astrology this year, more than four times the number two years ago. Celebrities such as Shirley Temple Black claim to use astrology in their daily lives—even Ronald and Nancy Reagan openly admitted to using astrology to help them make decisions while in the White House.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 08:16:36 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 08:18:51 pm »

Movements of Astrology

Ancient peoples used astrology to make decisions of every kind: when to hunt, fish, plant, harvest, make war, make peace, and make love. In Roman times the practice of astrology by ordinary citizens was punishable by death; only the Emperor was allowed to consult an astrologist for advice.

The ancient Greeks were instrumental in establishing the foundation for modern astrology. They associated mythical figures from the Greek pantheon to the stars and gave physical and emotional attributes to the planets of the zodiac. Natal, or birth charts became an integral part of astrology during this time as well. Astrology found its way into a number of different disciplines including art, history, religion, and early science.

By the 17th century astrology faced criticism from the church, as well as the blossoming scientific community. The heliocentric theory of planetary motion—developed and refined by such luminaries as Copernicus, Galileo, and Johannes Kepler—proved that the Earth was not the center of the universe.

Their findings unhinged the very framework of astrology, which has since struggled—without much success—to incorporate new astronomical findings into itself. The intervening years have seen astrology's popularity dwindle, as science has served to explain many of the astral phenomena that it once addressed. Only in the last century has astrology regained some of its former prominence.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 08:20:00 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 08:20:29 pm »

Born of Two Worlds

Yet astrology's most ancient roots were intertwined with both religion and science. The mathematical computations that were applied to the orbits of stellar bodies to determine charts were the earliest forms of astronomy. Astrology's attempts to explain what the heavens were and relate their movements to humanity's own actions were similar to the questions many religious followers asked of their gods.

The scientific and religious community, often at odds with one another, have found common ground in denouncing astrology. Both have attacked it, claiming that it is neither science nor religion, but an occult and outdated practice.

The Bible specifically warns against astrology in the books of Isaiah, Leviticus, Acts, and Deuteronomy. Though many religious scholars believed in the idea of magic, or celestial influence, they did not believe in the practice of it.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 08:21:57 pm »

Scientific Observations

To many scientists, the idea that planetary bodies billions of miles away somehow can affect human behavior is absurd. The scientific community contends that there has yet to be any evidence proving a relationship between the position of planets at a given time, and the events, personality, or actions of an individual born at that time. In its own words, astrology does not provide an understanding of stellar phenomena . . . only an interpretation.

Many arguments have been made against astrology. The central and most relevant criticism from the scientific community involves the zodiac, or basic horoscope that astrology uses.

Because the imprecise measurements of early astronomers, the zodiacal calendar that was created 2000 years ago no longer accurately reflects the zodiac we see in the sky. The signs listed in daily newspapers are thus 2-3 weeks away from their original postions in the calendar.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 08:23:54 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: