Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 12:49:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Giant crater may lie under Antarctic ice
http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn9268

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Prehistoric 'sea monster' was truly gigantic

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prehistoric 'sea monster' was truly gigantic  (Read 147 times)
Aspects of the Material World
Superhero Member

« on: April 10, 2018, 10:15:27 pm »

Prehistoric 'sea monster' was truly gigantic
Posted on Tuesday, 10 April, 2018

Skull of Shonisaurus - another large ichthyosaur. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Machairo
Scientists have found the fossil remains of an ichthyosaur that was almost the size of a blue whale.
The blue whale's status as the largest creature to have ever lived on planet Earth may be in jeopardy following the discovery of a truly enormous species of prehistoric ichthyosaur.

These dolphin-like marine reptiles, which lived alongside the dinosaurs, first appeared around 250 million years ago and survived up until around 90 million years ago.

While some ichthyosaurs were known to have reached significant sizes, this newly discovered species, which was unearthed in southwestern England, is the largest yet.

Measuring a whopping 85ft in length, it was a true monster of the prehistoric seas.

Its discovery could also indicate the possible existence of other, even larger ichthyosaurs.

"As soon as I saw it in person, my jaw just hit the floor," said marine reptile experts Dean Lomax. "I realized this was a giant ichthyosaur and the biggest thing ever found in the UK."

At about 85 feet long, the 205-million-year-old ichthyosaur was roughly the size of a modern blue whale https://t.co/aehkBeA8QR
    — National Geographic (@NatGeo) April 9, 2018
Report Spam   Logged

All that we see is a dream within a dream.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: