Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 08:31:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Update About Cuba Underwater Megalithic Research
http://www.timstouse.com/EarthHistory/Atlantis/bimini.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The victims of the Douglas High mass shooting

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The victims of the Douglas High mass shooting  (Read 238 times)
Kristina
Superhero Member

« on: February 15, 2018, 12:42:52 pm »

The victims of the Douglas High mass shooting

Miami Herald logo Miami Herald   
Miami Herald

Rene Rodriguez, Monique O. Madan, Alex Harris and Martin Vassolo

2 hrs ago

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/breakingnews/the-victims-of-the-douglas-high-mass-shooting/ar-BBJaSQb?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp
 





Former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon arrives for a closed-door meeting with the House Intelligence Committee on Feb. 15, 2018.

Bannon returns to House Intelligence Committee under subpoena

Slide 1 of 7: Jaime Guttenberg

Slide 2 of 7: Martin Duque (right) with his older brother Miguel Duque (left).

Slide 3 of 7: Assistant football coach, Aaron Feis

Slide 4 of 7: Gina Montalto

Slide 5 of 7: Nicholas Dworet

Slide 6 of 7: Meadow Pollack

Slide 7 of 7: Joaquin Oliver

Slide 1 of 7: Jaime Guttenberg
Next Slide

1/7 SLIDES © via Facebook 

Jaime Guttenberg

Slideshow by photo services

The identities of some of the 17 people killed in the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School are starting to emerge.

— Jamie Guttenberg, a student at the school, was killed during the rampage. Her father, Fred, shared the tragic news in a Facebook post.

"My heart is broken. Yesterday, Jennifer Bloom Guttenberg and I lost our baby girl to a violent shooting at her school. We lost our daughter and my son Jesse Guttenberg lost his sister. I am broken as I write this trying to figure out how my family get's through this. We appreciate all of the calls and messages and we apologize for not reacting to everyone individually. Jen and I will be figuring things out today and so we ask that you respect out privacy. We will be getting messages out later regarding visitation. Hugs to all and hold your children tight."

— Martin Duque, a 14-year-old freshman, was at school Wednesday and died in the shooting. His older brother Miguel, who graduated from Douglas High last year, shared the news via an Instagram post early Thursday morning. "Words can not describe my pain," he wrote. "I love brother Martin you'll be missed buddy."

— Aaron Feis, an assistant football coach who was critically injured after jumping in front of the shooter to protect students, died from his wounds early Thursday morning. The school's football team announced the news on its Twitter account. Athletic Director Chris Hixon was reportedly wounded in the shooting.

— Gina Montalto, a 14-year-old freshman, served on the school's winter guard team. She died late Wednesday night, friends and family confirmed on social media. Montalto had been missing after the shooting and was not answering her phone.

One of her color guard instructors from middle school, Manuel Miranda, posted about her death Wednesday night.

"My heart is broken into pieces. I will forever remember you my sweet angel," Miranda told the Miami Herald. Miranda taught Montalto last year at Westglades Middle School in Broward. "She was the sweetest soul ever. She was kind, caring always smiling and wanting to help."

The Stoneman Douglas winter guard group was scheduled to perform at a regional event in Tampa this weekend.

— Nicholas Dworet, a senior who had just received a swimming scholarship to the University of Indianapolis, was killed. Glenn Greenwald, a journalist with The Intercept, shared the news on Twitter.

— Alyssa Al Hadeff, a 15-year-old freshman, had been reported missing by her grandmother on Wednesday after the shooting. Her cousin Ariella Del Quaglio confirmed the student's death via Facebook on Thursday.

— Luke Hoyer was confirmed to have died on the third floor of the school by family members.

"This has devastated our family and we're all in shock and disbelief. Our hearts are broken. Luke was a beautiful human being and greatly loved," posted his uncle, Toni Brownlee on Facebook. "Also, pray for the other families whose loved were also murdered so cruelly."

His aunt, Mary Stroud-Gibbs, also shared her pain: "Our Luke was a precious child, who just went to school yesterday not knowing what was to come."

— Carmen Schentrup, a 2017 National Merit Scholar semifinalist, was confirmed dead Thursday morning by several friends on social media.

— Meadow Pollack, a senior, planned to to attend Lynn University​. She was confirmed dead early Thursday. “Please say a prayer for the family of an amazing girl I got to call my bestfriend growing up,” posted her friend Gii Lovito on Facebook. “Her life was taken way too soon and I have no words to describe how this feels.”

— Joaquin Olivier, 17, was born in Venezuela and moved to the U.S. at the age of three with his family. He had become a U.S. citizen in Jan. 2017.

His Instagram account includes several photos with his mother and sister, with whom he was extremely close. His girlfriend Victoria González confirmed he was killed in the massacre.

— Alaina Petty, 14, was confirmed dead, according to friends and family.

“There are no hashtags for moments like this, only sadness,” said Claudette McMahon Joshi, Petty’s great aunt. “ Our hearts are with them and all the families touched by this tragedy.”

— Cara Loughran was confirmed dead by a peer counselor at her church.

“RIP Cara, and fly with the angels. You will be greatly missed, and we will always love you and celebrate your beautiful life,” her neighbor wrote on Facebook.

— Chris Hixon, the athletic director at the high school, was confirmed dead by family and friends Thursday. He previously served as South Broward’s athletic director.

— Alex Schachter, a marching band student, was confirmed dead by a former instructor as well as by Congregation Beth Am in Longwood.

— Scott Beige, 35, was a geography teacher at the school who unlocked his classroom to allow panicked students to take shelter inside during the shooting. He was struck and killed by a bullet while closing the door behind them.

Kelsey Friend, one of the students whose lives he saved, told CNN “When he opened the door, he had to relock it so that we could stay safe, but he didn’t get the chance.

Directly addressing Beigel’s family, Friend said “Thank you for bringing and having this amazing person in life and giving him the power to be stronger than I could have ever been.”

The Broward County Sheriff’s Office is withholding the full list of names of victims until all family members are notified.

———

(El Nuevo Herald Staff Writer Johanna A. Alvarez contributed to this report.)
Report Spam   Logged

"Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances."

Thomas Jefferson

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: