Atlantis Online
March 19, 2024, 02:13:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Haunting 1963

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Haunting 1963  (Read 305 times)
Brittany
Superhero Member

« on: November 12, 2017, 04:23:34 pm »

The Haunting film locations
Film locations: Warwickshire

The Haunting, 1963
Director

Robert Wise
Cast

Julie Harris
    Claire Bloom
    Richard Johnson
    Russ Tamblyn
    Lois Maxwell

visit the film locations

Stay at: Ettington Park Hotel, Alderminster, Stratford-upon-Avon (tel: 0845.072.7454)

Brave the Eerie Evenings
Trivia

Avoid Jan de Bont’s dreadful 1999 remake of The Haunting
The Haunting location: Ettington Park Hotel, Alderminster, Warwickshire

The Haunting location: ‘Hill House’ in the original classic film: Ettington Park Hotel, Alderminster, Warwickshire

Photograph: flickr/Aidan McRae Thomson

A genuinely scary, low-key haunted house suspenser from the director of The Sound of Music, no less. Forget the FX heavy remake, this film achieves its effects through suggestion and imagination. Set in the United States, where ‘Hill House’ was supposedly “built in the most remote part of New England”, it was actually filmed in the UK.

The great Gothic house is actually about five miles southeast of Stratford-upon-Avon in Warwickshire. Supposedly the most haunted house in Britain, the 60-room mansion has been converted into a luxury hotel. The Ettington Park Hotel, is on the A34 in Alderminster.

http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/h/haunting.html#.WgjInLiE0e4
Report Spam   Logged

"Silence lays steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and we who walk here, walk alone."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Brittany
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 04:25:53 pm »

The Haunting, a 1963 movie directed by Robert Wise
Foreword about The Haunting
Introduction

This web site is dedicated to The Haunting, a 1963 masterpiece directed by Robert Wise, starring Julie Harris, Claire Bloom, Richard Johnson and Russ Tamblyn.

http://www.the-haunting.com/
In its full black and white glory, The Haunting is widely regarded as la pièce de résistance of the ghost movies genre, la crème de la crème, a must-see for all the connoisseurs.
Report Spam   Logged

"Silence lays steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and we who walk here, walk alone."
Brittany
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 04:27:00 pm »

mong the various descriptions available for the movie, I particularly like the one translated from the French DVD:
To conduct his experiments with paranormal phenomena, Dr. Markway gathers a team in an old mansion, reputedly haunted. During the first night, the guests are terrorised by strange noises. Eleanor is on the brink of depression and the Dr. Markway advises her to leave. She refuses, claiming that the house holds her back.
This web site

With this site, I'm inviting you to explore the movie and its secrets:

The Movie page (this page) is about The Haunting, the 1963 movie. From the technical details of the shooting, to the pictures of the delete scene, and up to an analysis of the psychology of the characters, it is meant to cover every aspect of the movie.
    The Books page is about The Haunting of Hill House, the 1959 book written by Shirley Jackson, that inspired The Haunting. It also features a comprehensive analysis of the book, as well as other suggestions of reading about Robert Wise or the movie.
    The Videos page is dedicated to all the video releases of The Haunting. From the oldest VHS/LaserDisc editions to the most recent Blu-ray editions.
    The House page is dedicated to Hill House aka Ettington Park, the mansion where the exterior shots of The Haunting took place. It also features a section about the Elstree and Borehamwood studios (MGM British Studios), where in the interior shots took place.
    The Promo page is dedicated to all the promotional memorabilia for The Haunting. Film stills, posters, lobby cards, MGM documents, and so on.
    The Paranormal page is dedicated to the paranormal events depicted in The Haunting.
    The People page is dedicated to the people who made The Haunting possible: The director, the actors, the screenwriter, the book author, the music composer, etc.
    The Journal page is the Journal of updates about this site dedicated to The Haunting, so that you can catch up with recent updates if you are a regular visitor.

http://www.the-haunting.com/
Report Spam   Logged

Brittany
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 04:27:33 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Brittany
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 04:28:59 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Brittany
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 04:31:18 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Brittany
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 04:39:37 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Brittany
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 04:46:38 pm »

ill House aka Ettington Park, Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
Ettington Park

The exterior scenes of The Haunting were shot in Ettington Park, Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK, Europe, whilst the interior scenes were shot in the MGM-British Studios, Borehamwood, UK, Europe.
Now
Foreword

It's very difficult to describe what it feels like for a fan to visit the house. When I turned 40 yo, for my birthday, I decided it was high time I paid a visit to Ettington Park aka Hill House for the very first time. I fondly remember the thrill when I peeked at the tower, above the trees, as I was approaching with my car. And then, after a curve, the house appeared. Of course, it looked so familiar and yet so strange (in colour!). I had booked one of the beautiful suites, right in front of the house, facing the park. What a memorable experience it was!

Ettington Park is a great location, great hotel, grand hotel to be accurate, with friendly staff and splendid rooms. I have found memories of my stay plus 1.500+ photos and videos to help me remember everything. If you are in Europe, I would highly recommend a visit.
Ettington Park, Photo #1050932

Ettington Park, Alderminster, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 8BU, UK, Europe, also known as Hill House.

This picture was taken the day I arrived, at the end of the afternoon, before dusk, before the dark comes. I like it because most of the pictures you'll find on Internet will show you a front, right side or back side picture, but no one seems to care about the left side of the house. Now you can see it too.

Funnily, I rarely slept so deeply. I woke up so relaxed every day! I immediately felt "at home"! I had the room that you see in the middle of the picture: a suite located on the first floor, on the left side of the house. This suite is absolutely gorgeous. I will publish more pictures later.
You're here for Shakespeare? Well, No!

It's almost a running joke. A lot of people — mostly hotel guests — will ask you: so, you're here for the Shakespeare festival too? [Replace festival by any Shakespeare-related event or place]. But, no, I'm not here for Shakespeare, I'm here for the House. I know Shakespeare was born right here, nearby, but, no, I'm not interested and not ashamed to say.

Practically speaking, I would strongly advise you to book a long time in advance, plus to check if your travel dates are not coinciding or colliding with a Shakespeare-related event, festival, retrospective, special exhibition, etc.
Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK, Europe

Isn't it ironic to think that Shakespeare was born in Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK, Europe, where you can also find the superb Ettington Park hotel — where the exteriors scenes of 'The Haunting' were shot?

If you stay at Ettington Park for a few days, a lot of the visitors of the hotel will be there precisely because of Shakespeare, and not for 'The Haunting'. Apparently, Shakespeare attracts more visitors. Weird, isn't?
On the map
Alderminster, Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK, Europe

Ettington Park
Alderminster
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
CV37 8BU
UK
Europe

Click here to display a Google Map

Exteriors
Ettington Park, Exteriors, Photo #1050868

http://www.the-haunting.com/the-haunting-the-house.html
Report Spam   Logged

Brittany
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 04:47:18 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Brittany
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 04:47:52 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Brittany
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 04:48:10 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Brittany
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 04:48:53 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Brittany
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 04:49:32 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Brittany
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 04:49:47 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Brittany
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 04:50:13 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: