Atlantis Online
April 18, 2024, 02:17:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

James Dean

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: James Dean  (Read 6803 times)
Jennifer O'Dell
Superhero Member

« on: September 26, 2007, 01:42:19 pm »

Legacy

James Dean was the first — and is one of five — to have been posthumously nominated for a Best Actor Academy Award and the only one so nominated twice. His estate still earns about $5,000,000 per year, according to Forbes Magazine.
Along with Blackboard Jungle, Dean's Rebel Without a Cause is frequently cited as having symbolized the growing post-war rebellion of 1950s teenagers as well as playing a part in the emergence of rock and roll as a lasting cultural phenomenon. His charismatic screen presence and very brief career combined with the publicity surrounding his death at a young age transformed Dean into a cult figure. His name is mentioned in countless songs, movies, and is a pop icon of apparently timeless fascination. Some examples of this:
•   Phil Ochs wrote a biographical song about James Dean called "Jim Dean of Indiana" and released it on what would be his final album.
•   James Dean was noted by writer/director George Lucas and actor Hayden Christensen as a direct inspiration for the latter's portrayal of Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones. [44]
•   Hilary Duff released a song on her 2004 self-titled album called "Mr. James Dean", in which she refers to the actor and also mentions his greatest movie Rebel Without A Cause: "You still will never be/ A rebel without a cause / A rebel to the first degree / Why don't you stop trying so hard? / 'Cause there's no men, man enough to be / Another James Dean" and also "Even when the world stops turning / There will never be another James Dean".
•   Dean's also mentioned in Billy Joel's song "We Didn't Start the Fire."
•   Dean is referred to as "just a careless driver" in British indie band Half Man Half Biscuit's song "99% Of Gargoyles Look Like Bob Todd."
•   Don McLean also mentions Dean in "American Pie"; the line goes "When the jester sang for the king and queen, in a coat he borrowed from James Dean..." an allusion to the young Bob Dylan's fascination with the 50's idol.
•   Dean is mentioned in the song "moviestar" made by Harpo.
•   Dean is mentioned in Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side."
•   Dean is also mentioned in American rock group Bon Jovi's song "These Days", the line goes "I guess she's tryin' to be James Dean."
•   James Dean is a title song on Bonnie Tyler album Silhouette In Red.
•   Rapper Jay-Z's song "Allure" off The Black Album lines mention "Even James Dean couldn't escape the allure/ Dying young, leaving a good looking corpse."
•   Dean may be the inspiration for the monologue at the beginning of Placebo's song "This Picture" and is mentioned in their song "2468:" "He kicked me out of the house and he burnt all my pictures of sweet Jimmy Dean."
•   Dean is the subject of the John Prine song "Picture Show".
•   The Eagles recorded a song called "James Dean" on their album On The Border. The lyrics note that Dean was "too fast to live, too young to die."
•   Hard Emo band Senses Fail mention James Dean in their song "Choke On This". "You can be my James Dean, I'll be your sweet queen."
•   Alternative rock moralists Anberlin reference Dean in their song "Dance, Dance Christa Pδffgen," from their second album Never Take Friendship Personal. The line goes, "So mysterious, shadows meet James Dean; She's intoxicating... soon your favorite drink."
•   Dean is mentioned by British indie band Space in their song "A Little Biddy Help from Elvis:" "Buddy Holly and Jimmy Dean could come to our wedding in the sky."
•   Deana Carter mentions Dean in her song "One Day At A Time" the line goes: "And Thelma and Louise, you got nothing on me, and you can tell ol' James Dean to get in line."
•   Dean is mentioned in David Essex's hit single "Rock On", in the line "See her shake on the movie screen, Jimmy Dean."
•   Dean is one of the stars referenced in Madonna's song "Vogue."
•   The Goo Goo Dolls has a song titled "James Dean", off of their album "Jed", where the subject dreams of being just like Dean, until 'And then you go and you tell me/that you found out Dean was gay...'
•   In Brian K. Vaughan's comic series Runaways, the titular characters meet up twice at the James Dean memorial at Griffith Observatory. The comic contains several other references to Dean and Rebel Without A Cause.
•   The Frank and Walters' song "This is not a song" contains the line "This song is not about old James Dean 'cause he's mentioned in too many songs already."
•   Dean has also been referenced in several country music songs, including Shenandoah's "I Wanna Be Loved Like That" with the opening lyric "Natalie Wood gave her heart to James Dean," and Sawyer Brown's "Some Girls Do" with the lyric "You was laughing at me, I was doing James Dean."
•   Elvis Presley was a noted admirer of James Dean. According to David Burner, "Both Dean and Elvis Presley conveyed a smoldering sexuality at the same time both threatening and androgynous."[45]
•   Rock band REM mentions Dean in their song "Electrolite": "Hollywood is under me/I'm Martin Sheen/I'm Steve McQueen/I'm Jimmy Dean."
•   Creator Matt Groening revealed in the Futurama Vol. 1 DVD Commentary that the character Fry was specifically drawn dressed like Dean, in the iconic red jacket, white t-shirt and blue jeans.
•   Morrissey is an admirer of James Dean, in the Music Video for Suedehead, he is seen stood looking sad at James Dean's Grave.
•   Lesław, vocalist and guitarist of Polish rockabilly band Komety is a big James Dean fan; his first band had a song called "Chcialbym Umrzec Jak James Dean" ("I Want to Die Like James Dean").
•   James Dean Bradfield, lead singer and guitarist of Welsh band Manic Street Preachers, is named after Dean as his father was a fan of the actor.
•   Joan Jett and the Blackhearts released a song called "Ridin' with James Dean" on their 1988 album, Up Your Alley.
•   The song "Rockstar" written by Nickelback mentions James Dean: "Somewhere between Cher and James Dean is fine for me"
•   James Dean Strother, Bassist for Seattle based band "bicycle" Capricorn Records was conceived in the back seat of a 49'Merc and named after his parents teen idol. [citation needed]
•   Daniel Bedingfield, British pop artist, has a song called "James Dean (I Wanna Know)" on his album "Gotta Get Thru This".
•   James Dean is referenced by the English band Bloc Party in their songs, "Helicopter" and "Rhododendron," (which was a bonus track off the album A Weekend In The City. In "Helicopter," the line goes, "Stop being so American/So James Dean/So blue jeans," while in "Rhododendron," he's noted as a movie star along with John Wayne and Brando.
•   Digging James Dean, a mystery novel by Robert Eversz, is about the desecration of his grave.
•   The subject, "Where were you when James Dean died?" is the topic of an interesting round-table male discussion at the end of Chapter 14 of the novel White Noise, written by Don DeLillo (1985).
•   The Killers' song, "Under the Gun" also references Dean.
•   Duo Evan and Jaron have a song on their album We've Never Heard of You Either called "Could've Been James Dean"
•   Nickelback has a song in their album "All the Right Reasons" titled "Rockstar" which references James Dean. The line goes "I want a new tour bus full of old guitars/My own star on Hollywood Boulevard/Somewhere between Cher and/James Dean is fine for me".
•   The song 'Ting-a-Ling' (2008) of Dutch band a balladeer is an ode to James Dean.
•   The Bay's radio commercial makes a reference to James Dean.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 09:09:17 pm by Jennifer O'Dell » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: