Atlantis Online
April 18, 2024, 04:41:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Timaeus on Atlantis in Eight Parallel Editions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Timaeus on Atlantis in Eight Parallel Editions  (Read 14463 times)
Mark of Australia

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2007, 04:32:51 am »

I'm saluting that one cicero .

The most annoying thing in Atlantology is the poor standard of scholarship that causes people to think it acceptable to make claims about ancient texts etc. without giving clear references to the source of their information.

It's unacceptable in books about Atlantis but I don't think Danaus has done anything wrong since this is 'just' a forum and anyone can ask him for the source. I would be a little irritated if his claim turned out to be a mirage though..

An example of what I would call pathetic in this regard, is a claim made in 'When the Sky Fell' by Rand and Rose Flem-Ath , it mentions twice how Athanasius Kircher claimed his map of Atlantis was originally stolen from Egypt by the invading Romans. There was no explanation for the source of this vital information. And when I finally got an answer from Rand Flem-Ath he just said he couldn't really remember how that arose !  Needless to say I am forced to ignore the claim now.

All I can say is if you're not sure of the claims you are making about ancient texts ,say so.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 06:39:11 am by Mark Ponta » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: