Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 12:38:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Towering Ancient Tsunami Devastated the Mediterranean
http://www.livescience.com/environment/061130_ancient_tsunami.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Library finds abolitionist text, memoir

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Library finds abolitionist text, memoir  (Read 72 times)
Carole
Superhero Member

« on: September 25, 2007, 12:51:25 am »

Library finds abolitionist text, memoir
Mon Sep 24, 3:37 PM ET

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - Volunteers sorting through donated books for a book sale found an abolitionist text and a slave's memoir, both dating back to the 1800s.

The books were discovered together last month in a single leather-bound volume that was clearly an unusual find, said Liza Holzinger, coordinator of the Bethlehem Area Public Library's book sale.

"When this appeared on my desk, I couldn't believe it," Holzinger said. "I was pretty impressed by it, especially after I started doing research on the topic."

The volume contained a first edition of Lydia Maria Child's 1833 book, "An Appeal in Favor of That Class of Americans Called African," and an 1840 second edition of "The Slave: Memoirs of Archy Moore."

Daniel Wilson, professor of history at Muhlenberg College, said Child's book was an early abolitionist text that received a lot of attention when it was published.

"They've got something valuable there," he said. "I'm not a book dealer, but this was a very influential text in terms of abolition and convincing people, particularly in New England, to adopt the abolitionist cause."

Holzinger said Child was a well-known author of popular novels and the advice manual "The Frugal Housewife." In "An Appeal," she wrote about the cruelty of slavery and its contradiction to the nation's founding principles.

There is no indication why the books were rebound together or who donated them, Holzinger said. She expects to price the volume for at least $500 at the book sale. The library is not interested in keeping the book because its rare book collection focuses on the Lehigh Valley, Holzinger said.
Report Spam   Logged

"To preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: