Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 10:20:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Has the Location of the Center City of Atlantis Been Identified?
http://www.mysterious-america.net/hasatlantisbeenf.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

:::Ancient Pyramids of China:::

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: :::Ancient Pyramids of China:::  (Read 3877 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: September 25, 2007, 03:44:20 pm »

The Pyramids of Xi'an

published: January 14,2005

"Today, in the twentieth century, no architect could build a copy of the pyramid of Cheops, even if the technical resources of every continent were at his disposal."

Erich von Däniken

Until recently scant attention was paid to the great funeral mounds of China. Located deep within the country near the ancient capital of Xi'an, they remained inaccessible and unknown to western outsiders for a very long time.

Then in 1947 an article appeared in the New York Times claiming that a Colonel Maurice Sheahan, Far Eastern director of Trans World Airline at the time had spotted an enormous pyramid that "dwarfed those of Egypt." Based on his over-flight estimations, the structure was at least 1,000 feet in height with a width of 1,500 feet.

Curious readers were left with a now notorious photograph of the pyramid that has been the source of much speculation, but with the communist regime in the process of taking control of mainland China, any chance of an expedition to confirm the sighting quickly faded.

Confusing the issue, the pyramid that Sheahan had described did not match the one in the photograph. The one he claimed to have seen had been located at the end of a valley, while the one in the photo was located in the middle of a plain.

Over time with no further proof available, the fantasists took over. Eventually it became known as the Great White Pyramid of China, "built of limestone with a crystal capstone." It was either located in China or Tibet depending on who was telling the account.

Finally in 1994 a German research named Hartwig Hausdorf took it upon himself to look into the issue of the Chinese pyramids. By his own claim he ventured into the "Forbidden Zone" and surreptitiously took photos that can easily be discovered on the web with his claims.

Basing his research on the diaries of Australian traders who supposedly were in the region in 1912, Hausdorf states that the pyramids were considered "very old" in the 5,000 year old records kept by a local Buddhist monastery.

In the best tradition of the X-Files - he then goes on to claim a cover up on the part of the Chinese government. They "refused me permission to go there, is this. In the immediate vicinity the Chinese government have built a launch pad for their space program, and of course, the area is sealed off to all foreigners. The Chinese are even more paranoid than the Americans, I think!"

Of course Hausdorf's next statement is "I am left to wonder what it is they are trying to cover up." and a credulous reader is left to believe that the pyramids of Xi'an are the work of extra-terrestrials.

The conceit that the cultures of old were somehow incapable of building monumental structures by themselves is more an indicator of the lack of understanding and education on the part of modern commentators than anything else. What we are faced with is chauvinism towards the accomplishments of the past, with not a touch of racism. Erich von Daaniken and his kind insult the accomplishment of our forerunners.

A critical customer reviewer of Hausforf's book on Amazon writes:

"Hausdorf approaches a fascinating subject without any serious understanding of Chinese mythology and culture. He unfortunately gives equal weight to the hallucinatory poetry of James Merril, dated pulp fiction stories of Western travelers, and second and third hand accounts of strange goings on in Asia. His high seriousness combined with gross inanity make it a very funny read, though. (He should have visited/studied at the ancient Taoist monastaries such as Wu Dang and have delved more deeply into the X'ian enigma by studying Qin Dynasty cosmology/mythology for at least some understanding of a truly "otherwordly" superadvanced culture).

Regarding the claims of great age, pyramidal type structures that date back more than 5,000 years have been found in north China, the work of a neolithic people called the Hongshan whose culture flourished from 4500 to 2250 B.C. Unfortunately for Hausdorf's claims, the pyramids of Xi'an, while old, were erected within historical times.

Nor can the Hongshan pyramid rival in size the later earthen tombs of the Qin and Tang Dynasties, being only three stories in height.

While I have never travelled to Xi'an to view the Chinese pyramids, I did the next best thing. Since I am not as well versed in Chinese culture as I would like to be, I asked someone who was.

A quick response followed.

"... the main pyramid in Xi'an, not the giant one, the first one is the tomb of Emperor Qin shi Huangdi, of the Qin dynasty. You can find a lot of references about him, including the movie Hero.

"As for empress, the giant pyramid, Wu of the Tang dynasty.

Here's some tourist guide and info stuff:

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/shaanxi/xian/qianling/index.htm

- Yinan Wang
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 04:00:22 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: