Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 01:25:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hunt for Lost City of Atlantis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3227295.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

A haunting in Northern California

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A haunting in Northern California  (Read 72 times)
Kendall Conway
Superhero Member

« on: January 08, 2017, 10:25:57 pm »

A haunting in Northern California
Posted on 12-28-2016 | Comment icon 0 comments

By: Anomalous_Zombie | Location: Northern California

I have always been, and still remain a healthy skeptic about anything paranormal. I maintain that 99% of all supposed paranormal occurrences can be contributed to something not so mysterious, and yet what about that remaining 1%?

Even as skeptical as I am, I believe it's foolish to dismiss the existence of unusual things and phenomena simply because they escape your understanding.

With that in mind, the following is my recollection of some strange and "ghostly" events I've experienced..

Toward the end of the 90's when I was around 10, my family moved to rural northern California, into a very old house that was built on the same location where an even older (1800's) hotel had burned to the ground. The very street I lived on was full of history, it even had a for-real 1800's style old west saloon that was in ruins and over-grown with vegetation!

Upon moving into that old house, my family and I quickly began to experience strange things. I remember vividly that we all at one point or another heard noises in the attic. Sounds pretty typical right? But it happened! I distinctly remember hearing footsteps for many nights after we moved in. Footsteps that were so deliberate and loud, you could hear the attic floor creaking and could almost sense the weight of someone above.

Sometimes the footsteps were accompanied by a persistent cough. These noises were so pronounced that I remember my dad getting his gun and going up to investigate, and yet he found no intruder or any signs of animals up there.

Soon enough, it wasn't just noises we were experiencing but other weird events. Things would often go missing from the place where we left them even though we'd just been using the item and were sure it was right where we left it. Family photos and shelves (or items on shelves) would fall off the walls randomly despite being securely mounted.

I remember the washroom door FLYING open all on its own on several occasions as though someone had taken a running shoulder into it, and every time this happened our pets became really spooked and seemed to nervously investigate the area. (We had several dogs and cats over the years there).

Our dogs would sometimes be left alone in a bedroom to nap only to start barking aggressively at an empty corner of the room and would be so disturbed by something that we'd have to coax them to leave that room..

My mom once attempted to "communicate" with a presence after a pull-down drape over a window suddenly went up by itself. At first she thought nothing of it and simply pulled it back down. After it went back up a short time later she pulled it back down again and it soon went up again! After pulling it back into place a third time she said something like "Okay, if you're trying to get my attention make it up again!" As if on cue, the blind was pulled again and went up!

The two most profound things I experienced there though were as follows: Despite all the weird occurrences, I never actually saw an "entity" except for once.. I was in the living room watching TV. My older sister and I were the only people in the house at the time. She was in her room with the door locked, talking to a friend on the phone. From where I was sitting I could turn my head and see into the hallway, and consequently into the bathroom just across from the hall entrance. We always left the bathroom door open when no one was in there. So, the bathroom door was open as usual, the light was off.. I got a strange feeling as I sat there in the living room, and from the corner of my eye I saw a "figure" a dark shape, merely a shadow vaguely as tall as a person. A "shadow person", as they're called.
-
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kendall Conway
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 10:26:45 pm »

Thinking it was my sister, I ignored it despite my uneasy feeling. Seconds later I heard the sound of water, and looked into the bathroom to discover that the water facet was running on full-blast all of a sudden. I nervously went into the bathroom and quickly turned the faucet off. I was still hoping it was my sister, (but never once had the bathroom light turned on.) I even went to her room (which was still locked) and when she answered the door she told me I was interrupting her phone call. I asked why she left the water on in the bathroom, and she told me she hadn't even gone in there. To this day that one always gets me racking my brain. ..

Oddly enough, one of the second most eerie experiences I had was also in that bathroom for some reason. I had been using the bathroom and after going to leave, the absolute moment I stepped under the ceiling light, the glass light fixture fell from the ceiling and shattered on the floor at my heels.

It wasn't until after we moved out of the house that my mom told me she was told by one of our neighbors that an elderly man who was a heavy smoker had died in the small bedroom in our attic before we moved in.

If anyone else were to tell me this story, I'd probably dismiss it as an over-active imagination, random strange (yet somehow normal) occurrences, or I'd just kinda shrug and go "I'd have to be there to believe it I guess." But in this case I was there, and I believe that old house was, for lack of a better word, "haunted".

What would you be willing to believe if those sorts of experiences were your own?

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: