Atlantis Online
April 16, 2024, 02:15:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DID A COMET CAUSE A FIRESTORM THAT DEVESTATED NORTH AMERICA 12,900 YEARS AGO?
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1963.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

In Memory of My Dog Candy

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In Memory of My Dog Candy  (Read 1666 times)
dhill757
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: July 29, 2016, 11:59:28 pm »

This morning I heard a shriek coming from a vacant bedroom in my house, just before I was getting ready to get up for work.  I walked into the room to find that my eleven year old pekingese Candy had just died. Old as she was, Candy was the baby of the group.  She was fine a week and a half ago, then, while giving her a bath, I discovered a bleeding tumor on her back paw. The vet was 90% sure it was cancer and said it should be removed. But when Candy went in for the operation, she had a panic attack and they could not do the surgery, for fear she wouldn't survive the anesthesia. Whatever happened at the Vet's office, Candy's breathing and appetite never recovered. Her breath fell in rapid pants and she refused everything but water. The Vet, meanwhile was clueless as to how to help her. This all culminated in the awfulness of this morning when I found her on the floor, dead, at least finally at peace.

I wish I could say Candy had an easy life, but she did not. She had the softest white fur and when she cried, she didn't sound like a dog, but like a small child. I will always remember that cry. Anyone who thinks dogs are just like any other animals never met a dog like Candy, who was as innocent as a baby, even towards the end. One of her litter was born stillborn, another died shortly after. Her sister, Princess, whom she was close with, was sold early on by my mother. Candy's mother, Buffy, also was not with us for very long. Like Missy, Candy was a great comfort to my mother as she lay in her bedroom, dying of heart disease and dementia. She was the friendliest of her litter, but, because she had a different mother than the other pekes, Buffy, who was disliked by the group, she was picked on mercilessly early on. She hated dog food, seemed to eat only things that were bad for her, and yet, had a voracious appetite.Candy was raised in my mother's bedroom and she came back today to die there as well.  I had a nickname for her, "Candy Goodness," because there wasn't a mean bone in her body.

I buried Candy beside Missy, whom she was friends with, a few few away from the small pups she had shared the womb with. Somewhere, the two of them are healthy and playing together again. Candy Goodness, you deserved far better than the things life had in store for you. Instead, you got only me. But if, in small way, in posting this, I can show people what a special little dog you were, maybe I can show you some small portion of the honor you deserve anyway. I will always cherish you, remember you always, for all of my days.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 10:42:13 pm by dhill757 » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

dhill757
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 12:01:11 am »

Candy as a newborn, with her mom, Buffy. She is the exuberant one on the left.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 09:12:26 pm by dhill757 » Report Spam   Logged
dhill757
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 01:32:14 am »

Report Spam   Logged
dhill757
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 07:56:35 pm »

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 08:04:55 pm by dhill757 » Report Spam   Logged
dhill757
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 08:08:38 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
dhill757
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 08:10:21 pm »

The next three pictures I took of Candy, taken just last week, the day before her surgery was scheduled:

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 10:34:42 pm by dhill757 » Report Spam   Logged
dhill757
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 08:19:52 pm »

I will love you always, Candy, my life is the poorer now that you are no longer a part of it.
Report Spam   Logged
dhill757
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 09:00:26 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
dhill757
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 10:19:31 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
dhill757
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 10:21:03 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
dhill757
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 10:33:13 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
April Kincaid
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 12:06:20 am »

So sorry about Candy, dhill757, she looked like a sweet little doggy. I can picture her crying, the way you described it.
Report Spam   Logged

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin
April Kincaid
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 12:10:48 am »

12 human foods dogs can eat and 5 they shouldn't
Whether you feed your pet table scraps or supplement his diet, here are good and bad foods for Fido.
Laura Moss
October 8, 2014, 11:55 a.m.

dog eating human food It's OK to give your furry friend a treat from your plate now and then. (Photo: Scott Barron/flickr)

We know it's best to avoid feeding man's best friend with table scraps, but sometimes those puppy-dog eyes get the best of us and we can't resist slipping them a treat from our plates.

But just because a food is good for us doesn't necessarily mean it's safe for dogs.

Here's a list of dog-approved people foods, as well as some items you should never share with your canine companion.

Keep in mind though that every dog is different, so try these foods in small amounts, and if your dog has a reaction to any of them, consult a veterinarian.
Do-your-doggie-good foods

Give your dog some peanut butter and watch his tongue go nuts. (Photo: Madeline G/Shutterstock)
Report Spam   Logged

April Kincaid
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 12:12:42 am »

Peanut butter: Giving your dog the occasional tablespoon of unsalted peanut butter is a treat you can both enjoy. (Just make sure your brand of peanut butter doesn't contain xylitol.) It's a great source of protein and healthy fats for dogs, and it's a perfect photo opportunity for you.
    Yogurt: High in protein and calcium, plain yogurt is an ideal treat for dogs, especially if your pooch suffers from digestion problems. Make sure you opt for yogurts that don't contain added sugar or artificial sweeteners.
    Oatmeal: Oatmeal is a good source of fiber, making it great for dogs with bowel irregularity issues, and it's also safe for dogs with wheat allergies. Before serving it to your pet, cook the oatmeal and don't add any sugar.
    Chicken: If your dog requires extra protein in his diet, cooked, unseasoned chicken is an easy addition to his regular food. It also makes a good meal replacement if you're out of dog food.
    Salmon: Dogs can benefit from omega 3 fatty acids too, so slip some cooked salmon into the food bowl for a healthier, shinier coat.
    Broccoli: This vitamin-rich vegetable can be a great occasional nutrition boost for dogs. However, it shouldn't make up more than 10 percent of a dog's diet as it could cause gastrointestinal irritation.
    Pumpkin: You can serve your dog pumpkin — raw or in a can — as a source of fiber or vitamin A. It's also a helpful addition to doggie diets if your pooch is experiencing digestion problems.
    Green beans: Nutritious and low in calories, green beans are a good choice that will load dogs up with iron and vitamins. Make sure to feed your dog only fresh beans or canned ones with no added salt. Something to consider: Most types of beans contain a type of protein called lechtins that, depending on the amount, can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea if not destroyed by cooking. Green beans only contain 5 to 10 percent of the lechtins in kidney beans, which cause the most problems, and green beans are typically safe when eaten raw. If you're still concerned, you may want to cook your green beans before serving them to your dog (or your family).
    Cottage cheese: This bland food is high in calcium and protein, so it can be a good addition to dog food. However, avoid it if your dog has issues digesting dairy.
    Other cheese: In small quantities, cheese is a great treat for pets, says the American Kennel Club, as long as your dog isn’t lactose intolerant (which is rare for dogs, but possible). Choose lower-fat options like mozzarella.
    Carrots: This vegetable is low in calories and high in fiber and vitamins. Plus, crunching on carrots can be good for dogs' teeth.
    Eggs: If your pooch needs a protein boost, scramble an occasional egg for a healthy snack. Eggs are high in protein, but they're also high in fat, so don't give your pet too many of them. Don't feed raw or undercooked eggs to your dog, cautions the American Veterinary Medical Association. There's the risk of contamination from bacteria such as salmonella, and that can make your dog sick.
Report Spam   Logged

April Kincaid
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 12:12:54 am »

Peanut butter: Giving your dog the occasional tablespoon of unsalted peanut butter is a treat you can both enjoy. (Just make sure your brand of peanut butter doesn't contain xylitol.) It's a great source of protein and healthy fats for dogs, and it's a perfect photo opportunity for you.
    Yogurt: High in protein and calcium, plain yogurt is an ideal treat for dogs, especially if your pooch suffers from digestion problems. Make sure you opt for yogurts that don't contain added sugar or artificial sweeteners.
    Oatmeal: Oatmeal is a good source of fiber, making it great for dogs with bowel irregularity issues, and it's also safe for dogs with wheat allergies. Before serving it to your pet, cook the oatmeal and don't add any sugar.
    Chicken: If your dog requires extra protein in his diet, cooked, unseasoned chicken is an easy addition to his regular food. It also makes a good meal replacement if you're out of dog food.
    Salmon: Dogs can benefit from omega 3 fatty acids too, so slip some cooked salmon into the food bowl for a healthier, shinier coat.
    Broccoli: This vitamin-rich vegetable can be a great occasional nutrition boost for dogs. However, it shouldn't make up more than 10 percent of a dog's diet as it could cause gastrointestinal irritation.
    Pumpkin: You can serve your dog pumpkin — raw or in a can — as a source of fiber or vitamin A. It's also a helpful addition to doggie diets if your pooch is experiencing digestion problems.
    Green beans: Nutritious and low in calories, green beans are a good choice that will load dogs up with iron and vitamins. Make sure to feed your dog only fresh beans or canned ones with no added salt. Something to consider: Most types of beans contain a type of protein called lechtins that, depending on the amount, can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea if not destroyed by cooking. Green beans only contain 5 to 10 percent of the lechtins in kidney beans, which cause the most problems, and green beans are typically safe when eaten raw. If you're still concerned, you may want to cook your green beans before serving them to your dog (or your family).
    Cottage cheese: This bland food is high in calcium and protein, so it can be a good addition to dog food. However, avoid it if your dog has issues digesting dairy.
    Other cheese: In small quantities, cheese is a great treat for pets, says the American Kennel Club, as long as your dog isn’t lactose intolerant (which is rare for dogs, but possible). Choose lower-fat options like mozzarella.
    Carrots: This vegetable is low in calories and high in fiber and vitamins. Plus, crunching on carrots can be good for dogs' teeth.
    Eggs: If your pooch needs a protein boost, scramble an occasional egg for a healthy snack. Eggs are high in protein, but they're also high in fat, so don't give your pet too many of them. Don't feed raw or undercooked eggs to your dog, cautions the American Veterinary Medical Association. There's the risk of contamination from bacteria such as salmonella, and that can make your dog sick.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: