Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 02:55:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Legal cemetery hunting places to go and see safely

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Legal cemetery hunting places to go and see safely  (Read 95 times)
Nosferatu

« on: May 16, 2016, 12:16:02 am »

There is a lot of illegal stuff that goes on with ghost hunting and cemeteries. I thought it would be nice to start a thread about where to go and when to go to cemeteries the safe and legal way....

I'm going to kick this off by asking folks not to give shout outs about how ghosts do or don't exist please. The point of this thread is to share helpful information, not debate the existence of ghosts.

A lot of popular haunted cemeteries have tours. Depending on where you are, there are historical tours, or art/grave rubbing tours. Famous battlefields too. If there is a tour, take advantage of it. Sometimes they are free, and often they charge a low ticket price. If you know of a local cemetery tour, speak up!

Most cemeteries that are NOT on private land have public hours. Often daylight or business hours. Respect that. A lot of "abandoned" cemeteries are not actually abandoned.

I'm going to kick this one off with a cemetery near and dear to my heart.. Bachelors Grove in Illinois.

This tiny little cemetery is often said to be abandoned. And it is not. There are continuous preservation and maintenance efforts going on by various groups. And ownership is somewhat in dispute at times, and this leads to less options on who can give the OK on groups that want to preserve the cemetery. Sometimes that leads to lapses that are forced neglect. But the property is owned, and police will for sure bust you and even ticket you for being there at the wrong time.
It is a heavily vandalized cemetery.

Legal hours that one can be there is sunup till sundown, like other Cook County parks. Legal parking is in the Rubio Woods lot, with the same sunrise to sunset hours. Between sundown and sunup you can and will be ticketed, and your car may be towed. Area residents that one might think to park and enter the cemetery another way are often called in to police.

Some Chicago tours may include BG on their list. In particular, tours that happen more around Halloween. There are legal daytime tours. There are no legal nighttime tours at this time.

Another lovely place in Chicagoland... Robinson Woods cemetery. This too is part of the Cook County park system, subject to sunrise/sunset rules. The cemetery itself it set in a small plot of woodland park, the property once part of the Robinson family. There is parking on site.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Nosferatu

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 12:16:38 am »

I would warn people about exploring cemeteries, especially at night when they are likely to look very suspicious, when they don't have explicit permission or where it's known to be open to the public at those hours.  I speak from personal experience where I was out for a walk taking photos and walked passed a graveyard a few miles from where I live.  It was around dusk and it looked like a great opportunity to take some nice photos of the graves silhouette against the setting sun, so I hopped the wall, just as a cop car rolled by.  Cop called me over and asked me what I was up to.  I explained that I just wanted to take some pics and the gate was locked.  He explained it was private property, that it was open during the day to the public and that he regularly swung by in the evenings (it's in an otherwise quiet rarely used side road) because it was known to be used as a site for local teens to go drinking and that graves had been vandalised.  He believed my story as I had a very obvious SLR camera slung over my shoulder so he just gave me a warning.  A more zealous cop and I could have possibly been done for trespassing.  Be warned folks.

I do love exploring old graveyards and am fortunate to have many interesting ones not far from me, including one that's a ten minute walk that is on a site believed to have been used as a church/monastery since the 7th century.  The current ruined church dates from something like the 16th century and the headstones currently there date back to the 18th century right up to recent years.

I find it interesting that people associate graveyards with ghosts, hauntings, etc.  I find graveyards, even at night, the most blissfully peaceful places to be.  When I was a student on my way home from visiting friends or from the pub, I used to take a shortcut (perfectly legal as the church grounds were left open all night long) through a churchyard that involved walking through the old graveyard to cut a few minutes off my walk home.  Never bothered me at all.  I fear the living a lot more than I do the dead.
Report Spam   Logged
Nosferatu

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 12:17:36 am »

one i know of is cliff cemetary in the keweenaw in michigan. it's not incredibly easy to get to; my friend who lives in the area told me the access trail is almost always flooded now (worn down by atv's). it's open to the public and you can go there any time, but i wouldn't go there alone at night, because the path is overgrown and flooded and it's easy to get lost.

this is a good article about the place:

http://rhombus.travellerspoint.com/95/

one thing they left off is that part of the cemetary dates from the big cholera epidemic that swept through the area in the 1860's. a number of gravestones with entire families listed, in the same year. very sobering.
Report Spam   Logged
Nosferatu

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 12:18:53 am »

I've always enjoyed visiting Undercliffe Cemetery near Bradford, Yorkshire.

For those of us in England it is a fairly large and well maintained place, many of the graves being old or of intricate design that would satisfy any morbid curiosity about who is there, their position and their wealth.

As for any paranormal aspect, apart from that odd feeling you get from being surrounded by so much death and misery I won't lie and say I've seen something or heard something. I haven't had any paranormal experiences but should you be inclined to believe in the paranormal, I am sure ANY cemetery of sufficient age would have enough negative energy to bring about some sort of manifestation.

For the rest of us, this is a very nice place overflowing with history. You could spend a good while there.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: