Atlantis Online
March 19, 2024, 04:52:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: FARMING FROM 6,000 YEARS AGO
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=156622&command=displayContent&sourceNode=156618&contentPK=18789712&folderPk=87030

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Dog travels 240 miles to his former home

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dog travels 240 miles to his former home  (Read 131 times)
Kyra
Superhero Member

Live Life to the Fullest!

« on: April 25, 2016, 05:36:25 pm »

Dog travels 240 miles to his former home
Posted on Monday, 25 April, 2016

The dog somehow made his way back home. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Thomas Vaclavek
An adventurous sheepdog has managed to make his way hundreds of miles to the home of his former owners.
Four-year-old Pero, who was given to a farmer in Cockermouth, disappeared on April 8th only to reappear 240 miles away at Alan and Shan James' Farm near Aberystwyth two weeks later.

"The farmer in Cockermouth was looking for a dog that could round sheep and follow a quad bike, and we thought Pero would be ideal for the job," said Mrs James.

"We'd been told that Pero had disappeared... but then, last Wednesday evening, April 20, my husband Alan went out to check on the animals after supper and there was Pero on our doorstep."

How the dog had managed to track down his old home over hundreds of miles remains a complete mystery and the couple are now looking for anyone who might have seen him during his trip.

"When he came back, he wasn't hungry or weak, so he must have managed to find food somewhere," said Mrs James. "He must have stopped in places along the way."

"It's a total mystery as to how Pero has managed to find his way back to us."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-36130437
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kyra
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 05:38:25 pm »

Sheepdog's '240 mile trip to former home' in Aberystwyth

A sheepdog originally from a farm in Ceredigion appears to have made the 240-mile solo journey back to its birthplace from its new home in Cumbria.
Report Spam   Logged
Kyra
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 05:38:55 pm »

Pero, a four-year-old working sheepdog, escaped from Cockermouth on 8 April only to reappear on the doorstep of Alan and Shan James' Farm near Aberystwyth a fortnight later.

His previous owners have no idea how he found his way back.

They now plan to keep Pero.

Mrs James said: "The farmer in Cockermouth was looking for a dog that could round sheep and follow a quad bike, and we thought Pero would be ideal for the job.

"We told the farmer to take him away and see if he'd be willing to work for him on his farm up north. And so Pero left us at the beginning of March."

But it seems Pero would not settle in his new home, and while out working on the farm, he bolted across the fields.
Report Spam   Logged
Kyra
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 05:39:30 pm »

Shan James: "It was big surprise to us all... Pero was on the doorstep"

"We'd been told that Pero had disappeared, and was nowhere to be seen " said Mrs James, who lives with their five children on the sheep farm in Penrhyncoch.

"But then, last Wednesday evening, April 20, my husband Alan went out to check on the animals after supper and there was Pero on our doorstep."

"It was a bit of a shock, and the dog was going crazy after seeing Alan.

"No one called us to say that they'd dropped the dog off, and even though he has a microchip no one's been in touch either to say that they've found him.

"It's a total mystery as to how Pero has managed to find his way back to us. We know that dogs can find their way home, but 240 miles is a long way to travel."

Now the family wish to find out if anybody has had an unfamiliar black and white sheepdog calling around looking for food at any time over the last two weeks.

"When he came back, he wasn't hungry or weak, so he must have managed to find food somewhere. He must have stopped in places along the way," she said.
Report Spam   Logged
Kyra
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 05:40:00 pm »

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-36130437
Report Spam   Logged
Kyra
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 05:40:22 pm »

That's how much a dog loves. I wish people loved back that much.
Report Spam   Logged
freetoroam

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 07:42:04 pm »

Our cocker is so loving and is loved so much, I know he would find he way back to us, but we would never ever give him away. He is family. I wonder if someone is prepared to give their dog away for no real valid reason, (getting fed up picking up their poo or taking it for walks, is no real valid reason) would, if they could give away their own child? I believe some would. I am really pleased that the family are now keeping him.
Report Spam   Logged
freetoroam

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 07:42:30 pm »

A good dog is never astray for long.
Report Spam   Logged
Baftonguay
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 09:21:23 pm »

This doesn't surprise me , My mother gave one of our dogs to a friend that needed companionship . She lives 125 or so miles from us. The dog showed up at our home 2 weeks later.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: