Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 08:52:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Secrets of ocean birth laid bare 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5191384.stm#graphic

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Can we mask the Earth from hostile aliens ?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we mask the Earth from hostile aliens ?  (Read 483 times)
Quagnon

« on: April 10, 2016, 12:04:24 am »

But we could use our lasers to be even louder. Instead of cloaking ourselves, we could make our transit signature so darn weird that aliens would have to take notice.

There's a big, interdisciplinary debate about whether we should try to contact intelligent life from other planets. To be fair, it's possible that we'd really, really regret it. Humans are kind of the worst, so intelligent life has a pretty bad track record so far.

"Our work offers humanity a choice, at least for transit events, and we should think about what we want to do," Kipping said in a statement.

But it could also be really great. And hey, the chances are slim anyway — especially now that we know it's pretty easy to hide from our best method for detecting Earth-like planets. I already worry that people are ignoring my texts because they hate me. Now I get to wonder if aliens might be pointing lasers at us because they think we're gross, and they just can't even.

Read More:

The hunt for extraterrestrials turns to the ‘dim bulbs of the universe’

Stephen Hawking announces $100 million hunt for alien life

Why NASA’s top scientist is sure that we’ll find signs of alien life in the next decade

Study suggests a new trick for finding alien civilizations

A new way of calculating distant stars’ gravity could help us find alien worlds

This broken space telescope keeps spotting new planets

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/03/31/scientists-have-a-wild-idea-for-hiding-us-from-evil-aliens/?tid=pm_national_pop_b
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: