Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 06:13:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ARE Search For Atlantis 2007 Results
http://mysterious-america.net/bermudatriangle0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Scientists bring a frozen brain back to life

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scientists bring a frozen brain back to life  (Read 384 times)
Quagnon

« on: April 09, 2016, 11:53:28 pm »

Scientists bring a frozen brain back to life
Posted on Friday, 8 April, 2016

Scientists have been looking for ways to cryopreserve humans for years. Image Credit: US Navy
In a world first, researchers have managed to successfully thaw a cryonically frozen rabbit brain.
The breakthrough, which is the first time anyone has ever restored a frozen mammal brain to "near perfect" condition, was achieved using a technique known as Aldehyde-stabilized cryopreservation which works by preserving the brain matter associated with learning and memory.

Up until now attempting to do this would have resulted in significant damage to the brain's neural connections, thus making any attempts at revival or resuscitation futile.

"Every neuron and synapse looks beautifully preserved across the entire brain," said Dr. Kenneth Hayworth, president of the Brain Preservation Foundation which five years ago challenged the cryonics research community to find a way to accomplish this very task.

"It’s the first time that we have a procedure that can protect everything neuroscientists think is involved with learning and memory. Given the results announced today, it seems to me that long-term memories are successfully preserved by this technique."

The next step for the team will be to preserve a larger mammal's brain - most likely that of a pig.

It is hoped that eventually technologies like this will make it possible to successfully preserve a human brain which can then be revived in the distant future.

It may even become possible to integrate a brain with a robot to bring that person back to life.

https://www.rt.com/news/332074-cryonics-rabbit-brain-regenerated/
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Quagnon

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 11:55:36 pm »

Frozen rabbit brain brought back in ‘near perfect’ condition in cryonics breakthrough
Published time: 10 Feb, 2016 19:28
Get short URL
© brainpreservation.org
© brainpreservation.org
Scientists are claiming a major breakthrough in the field of cryonics after a rabbit brain was frozen and recovered in “near perfect” condition – the first time an entire mammalian brain has been restored successfully.
Trends
Viral

The procedure has brought scientists a step closer to fulfilling the sci-fi goal of living forever by resurrecting the frozen dead or installing the human brain into a robot.

Researchers from 21st Century Medicine (21CM) used a new technique, called Aldehyde-stabilized cryopreservation, which protects brain matter associated with learning and memory.

The vascular system of the rabbit brain was filled with chemicals that allowed it to be cooled to negative 211 degrees Fahrenheit (-135 degrees Celsius). This rapidly stopped metabolic decay and fixed the proteins in place.

When the brain was later rewarmed and the cryoprotectant removed, the cell membranes, synapses, and intracellular structures remained intact.

This is being seen as a major development, since the current method of freezing a human brain can cause massive dehydration and crushed neural connections – essentially, too much damage for resuscitation.
© brainpreservation.org
© brainpreservation.org

“Not your father’s cryonics”

The results come five years after the Brain Preservation Foundation (BPF) presented the challenge to the cryonics research community. The 21CM research team, led by MIT graduate Robert McIntyre, received the Small Mammal Brain Preservation Prize, worth $26,735.

The judges used traditional electron microscopy to image hundreds of brain regions to ensure that the synaptic connections in the rabbit brain remained undamaged.

“Every neuron and synapse looks beautifully preserved across the entire brain. Simply amazing given that I held in my hand this very same brain when it was vitrified glassy solid,” said BPF president Dr. Kenneth Hayworth. “This is not your father’s cryonics.”

The full research paper, titled ‘Aldehyde-stabilized cryopreservation’, is published in the journal Cryobiology.

“This is a big deal,” BPF co-founder John Smart told Motherboard. “It’s the first time that we have a procedure that can protect everything neuroscientists think is involved with learning and memory. Given the results announced today, it seems to me that long-term memories are successfully preserved by this technique. This is not yet certain or universally agreed, but seems highly likely from my position.”

Human subjects?

The development has given hope to the possibility of revival from human cryopreservation and there are already willing guinea pigs eager to replicate Mel Gibson’s role in Forever Young.

AMAZING. We should all sign up. http://motherboard.vice.com/en_uk/read/a-rabbit-brain-has-been-cryonically-preserved-and-recovered-brain-preservation-prize
    Posted by Jason Silva on Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Does this mean I can finally move into my robot vessel?
    Posted by Myles Destro Gregory on Wednesday, February 10, 2016

I'll volunteer when the time is ready for human trial. Put me away for a millennium, and if I die in the process, so be...
    Posted by Robert Scarcella Jr. on Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Fear not, however, it’s still some time off before the plot of an Austin Powers movie is even a slight possibility.

READ MORE: Defrosted tiny animals come back to life, breed after 30 years in freezer

The next step is to preserve a large mammal. 21CM has already submitted a preserved pig brain for evaluation for this research. Lead researcher McIntyre plans develop this further with his new company Nectome, while 21CM returns to their research on reversible brain cryopreservation.

Success would confirm they have discovered a brain preservation technique which preserves memory.
https://www.rt.com/news/332074-cryonics-rabbit-brain-regenerated/
Report Spam   Logged
Quagnon

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 11:56:05 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Quagnon

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 11:56:27 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Quagnon

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 11:56:50 pm »

AMAZING. We should all sign up. http://motherboard.vice.com/en_uk/read/a-rabbit-brain-has-been-cryonically-preserved-and-recovered-brain-preservation-prize
    Posted by Jason Silva on Tuesday, February 9, 2016
Report Spam   Logged
Quagnon

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 11:57:03 pm »

Does this mean I can finally move into my robot vessel?
    Posted by Myles Destro Gregory on Wednesday, February 10, 2016
Report Spam   Logged
Quagnon

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 11:57:26 pm »

I'll volunteer when the time is ready for human trial. Put me away for a millennium, and if I die in the process, so be...
    Posted by Robert Scarcella Jr. on Tuesday, February 9, 2016
Report Spam   Logged
Quagnon

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 11:57:55 pm »

https://www.rt.com/news/329382-defrosted-micro-animals-life/
READ MORE: Defrosted tiny animals come back to life, breed after 30 years in freezer
Report Spam   Logged
Quagnon

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 11:58:24 pm »

I personally find that it is good science. People suffering from hypothermia from being in cold conditions or lack of oxygen from drowning or the like already have much better chances of survival without brain damage due to essentially putting them in a bath tub with ice. My opinion is that this could significantly help in those efforts.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: