Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 09:46:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hunt for Lost City of Atlantis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3227295.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Photo of ‘freakish lake monster’ terrifies the internet

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photo of ‘freakish lake monster’ terrifies the internet  (Read 260 times)
Shonnon
Superhero Member

« on: June 19, 2016, 08:43:15 pm »

Photo of ‘freakish lake monster’ terrifies the internet
A monster from the deep? Or just some Photoshop magic? This prehistoric-looking sea creature is terrifying the internet

The photo has been shared by thousands of social media users across the world
The photo has been shared by thousands of social media users across the world Photo: Ethan Tipper/Facebook

By Mark Molloy

9:04PM GMT 16 Feb 2016

Forget the Loch Ness Monster, this massive eel has apparently just washed up by a lake in New South Wales (NSW), Australia.

Father Ethan Tippa claims to have photographed the odd creature next to a boat ramp on the vast Lake Macquarie and later shared the image on Facebook.

smh: Giant eel, "messed up crocodile" or unidentified lake monster? https://t.co/Tm5F8ovLrk pic.twitter.com/zFL6XucFol
    — Twenty Times | News (@twentyxnews) February 16, 2016

He asked: “What the f--k is it?”

The photo has been shared by thousands of social media users across the world, with many speculating over what it could be and others claiming it has been digitally altered.

Marine biologist Julian Pepperell told the Newcastle Herald she believed it was a nocturnal pike eel, which are common in NSW waters, but he admitted it was hard to tell how big it really was from the photo.

“I think it's definitely a pike eel. The head is very indicative of that species," he said.

“It's hard from the photo to get an idea of the scale.”

He said the pike eel was probably quite old and would have given fishermen “the fight of their lives” if it was accidentally caught.

Alternatively, it may have died of old age or if it was hit by a boat, he said.

“There are certainly people who are bitten by them in boats,” he said.

“They have incredibly strong muscle and their teeth are geared towards inflicting slashing wounds.”

Australian Museum collector Mark McGrouther told Daily Mail Australia he also suspects it is a pike eel.

“This is the first time I have ever seen one of them in the flesh,” he said.

“I suspect it was caught and discarded by fisherman who got more than they bargained for when they tried to reel it in.”
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Shonnon
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 08:44:12 pm »

Dougie Boyd, of the Commercial Fishermen's Co-Operative in NSW, said he did not believe it was a hoax.

“I don’t think it’s been photoshopped,” he said. “I’ve seen some monsters, but none that big.”

Pike eels can grow up to 1.8 metres in length, they are nocturnal and difficult to catch. They are not poisonous to eat and sold in south-east Asia.

Meet the curious 'fish with legs' that lives at the bottom of the sea.

Under the sea: The weird and wonderful creatures from the bottom of the ocean.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/12160519/Photo-of-freakish-lake-monster-terrifies-the-internet.html
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: