Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 12:51:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists Confirm Historic Massive Flood in Climate Change
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20060228/

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The 25 Most Rewatchable Movies Of All Time By Walt Hickey Harrison Ford as Han

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 25 Most Rewatchable Movies Of All Time By Walt Hickey Harrison Ford as Han  (Read 193 times)
Jenna Bluehut
Superhero Member

« on: January 17, 2016, 05:59:18 pm »

The 25 Most Rewatchable Movies Of All Time

By Walt Hickey
Harrison Ford as Han Solo in the original "Star Wars."   

Harrison Ford as Han Solo in the original “Star Wars.”

Mondadori Portfolio / Getty Images

First of all, the obviously correct answer is “Star Trek” (2009). I spent the summer of 2009 in Colonial Williamsburg rewatching “Star Trek” (2009) like 15 times — it briefly replaced alcohol as my great college romance. It has an expertly crafted narrative. It’s hilarious. And the cast commits. I can think of absolutely no more rewatchable movie, given that all other films woefully compare to the Chris Pine- and Zachary Quinto-helmed epic space adventure.

But apparently some people disagree. Because we’re a news site concerned with data, and because my editor refused to let me end the conversation at “ ‘Star Trek’ is great and all other movies are terrible,” I ran a SurveyMonkey Audience poll and asked people to list the five films they consider the most rewatchable.

I got 4,362 entries from 1,169 respondents to my fill-in-the-blank question. Some entries covered several films — “The Godfather movies,” for instance — and I combined these into a single entry referring to the series as a whole, rather than give these respondents a disproportionate number of votes. Some responses were a little unclear: For example, if someone simply entered “Star Wars” — as about 9 percent of respondents did — I’m not sure if that meant 1977’s Episode IV or the whole series, but I counted it separately from the people who did specify the whole series. I’m not a mindreader, so that’ll just have to do.

Here are the top 25 most rewatchable films or series according to our survey, along with the number of times each was submitted:
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jenna Bluehut
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 05:59:47 pm »

FILM    NUMBER OF SUBMISSIONS
1    Star Wars    98
2    The Wizard of Oz    76
3    The Sound of Music    58
4    The Lord of the Rings (series)    56
5    Gone With the Wind    52
6    The Godfather    45
6    The Princess Bride    45
8    The Shawshank Redemption    42
9    Harry Potter (series)    36
10    It’s A Wonderful Life    35
11    Forrest Gump    33
11    Grease    33
13    Dirty Dancing    32
14    Pulp Fiction    29
14    Titanic    29
16    The Lion King    28
16    Pretty Woman    28
18    Casablanca    27
19    The Matrix    25
19    The Notebook    25
21    Star Trek    24
21    Finding Nemo    24
23    Goodfellas    22
24    Pride & Prejudice    19
25    Caddyshack    18
25    The Avengers    18

People like to rewatch epics: Space operas, fantasy series and iconic films of historical significance make up the vast majority of the top 25. Also, “Grease.” Who knew so many people were into “Grease”? Who knew more people liked “Grease” than “Star Trek” (2009)?
Report Spam   Logged
Jenna Bluehut
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 06:00:14 pm »

Here are the top 25 movies by the respondent’s gender:
   MEN    NUMBER OF SUBMISSIONS          WOMEN    NUMBER OF SUBMISSIONS
1    Star Wars    66       1    The Wizard of Oz    51
2    The Godfather    29       2    The Sound of Music    42
3    The Lord of the Rings (series)    26       3    Gone With the Wind    37
4    The Wizard of Oz    25       4    Star Wars    32
5    Pulp Fiction    21       5    The Lord of the Rings (series)    30
6    The Princess Bride    19       6    Dirty Dancing    29
6    The Shawshank Redemption    19       7    The Princess Bride    26
6    The Matrix    19       7    Harry Potter (series)    26
6    Star Trek    19       7    Pretty Woman    26
7    The Sound of Music    16       8    Grease    24
7    Goodfellas    16       9    The Shawshank Redemption    23
8    It’s A Wonderful Life    15       9    Titanic    23
8    Forrest Gump    15       10    The Notebook    22
8    Casablanca    15       11    The Lion King    21
8    Die Hard    15       12    It’s A Wonderful Life    19
9    Gone with the Wind    14       13    Forrest Gump    18
9    Gladiator    14       14    The Godfather    16
10    Caddyshack    13       15    Finding Nemo    15
11    The Avengers    12       16    Love Actually    14
11    Star Wars (series)    12       17    Pride & Prejudice    13
            17    You’ve Got Mail    13
Report Spam   Logged
Jenna Bluehut
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 06:00:46 pm »

If you’re looking to do a heteronormative couple’s night and need to agree on a movie, it appears the best choice might be to pop in one of the “Lord of the Rings” movies or “The Wizard of Oz.” Apparently, both men and women are drawn to stories where an out-of-towner and a loyal lapdog team up to pass through a region of abnormally short residents on the advice of a magical entity and join a mission to solve a convoluted geopolitical struggle alongside an eclectic coterie of traveling companions — a stalwart guardian, an axe-toting hothead and an enigmatic denizen of the woods — in order to once again return to their bucolic existences.1

That, or “The Princess Bride” might be a good call. Great film.

Still, there are differences in taste: Films in the men’s top 20 but not the women’s include “Pulp Fiction,” “The Matrix,” “Star Trek” and “Goodfellas.” Films disproportionately favored by women include “Dirty Dancing,” the “Harry Potter” series, “Pretty Woman,” “Grease” and “Titanic.”

People of each gender also had a few films in their top 20 that didn’t make the overall top 25 and failed to appear on the other gender’s list. Guys disproportionately enjoyed “Die Hard” and “Gladiator,” while women preferred “Love Actually” and “You’ve Got Mail.”

So gender plays a role in what films people find rewatchable. Age also generates some interesting differences.

Films such as “The Lion King,” and “Finding Nemo” performed disproportionately well among younger people. While “The Lord of the Rings” movies were generally popular across all ages, the younger the respondent, the more likely he or she was to put it down. Thirty-somethings and middle-aged people disproportionately listed “Pulp Fiction,” “Goodfellas,” “The Goonies” and “Grease,” all of which are popular and iconic films from when they were younger. And older folks were all about older (or at least not recent) movies, too: “Casablanca,” “Dirty Dancing,” and “Sleepless in Seattle” were more popular the older people got.

Films that appealed to most but not all age brackets included the “Lord of the Rings” series, “The Godfather” and “The Shawshank Redemption.” But there was one constant regardless of age: “Star Wars” was always in the top 10.

But, uh, screw that. Their sad devotion to that ancient Jedi religion did not help them avoid those prequels. Live long and prosper: “Star Trek” (2009) is the only good movie ever.
Footnotes

That scene with the poppies serves the exact same narrative purpose as Shelob’s lair, right? This is getting very real very quickly. Someone get Joseph Campbell on the line. ^

Walt Hickey is FiveThirtyEight’s lead writer for lifestyle.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/whats-the-most-rewatchable-movie-of-all-time/
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: