Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 12:51:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Startling new report on Oak Island could ‘rewrite history’ of the Americas

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Startling new report on Oak Island could ‘rewrite history’ of the Americas  (Read 1289 times)
Mia Knight

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 06:10:02 pm »

Roman sword allegedly found off Oak Island
Posted on Thursday, 17 December, 2015

Did the Romans beat Columbus to the Americas ? Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Rennett Stowe
A remarkable new find has suggested that the Romans may have visited North America 2,000 years ago.
Located on the south shore of Nova Scotia, Canada, Oak Island has long remained a place of mystery and intrigue. Its most prominent enigma, a strange booby-trapped shaft known as the Money Pit, has claimed the lives of many who have sought to unravel its secrets.

Now however researchers lead by historic investigator J. Hutton Pulitzer claim to have discovered evidence that it was actually the Romans who first set foot on the island having arrived there almost 1,500 years before Christopher Columbus set out on his voyage to the Americas.

The claim centers around the finding of what is believed to be a Roman shipwreck off the coast of the island and a Roman sword that was recovered from the water within its vicinity.

"Some years ago, a man and his son were scalloping off Oak Island, which sees them hang a rake-like object off the back of their boat," said Pulitzer. "When they brought this up, the sword came up with it. They thought they were going to get into trouble due to restrictions in Nova Scotia which made all private shipwreck diving for treasure outlawed. So they freaked out about it."

The man passed the sword on to his wife when he died and then from there it went to his daughter before eventually ending up in the hands of her husband who decided to come forward with it.

According to Pulitzer, the sword's metallic properties match those of genuine Roman weapons and the shipwreck from which it allegedly came still remains untouched at the bottom of the sea.

"We know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is Roman," he said. "I think this is the single most important discovery for the Americas - an event that will re-write history."

Source: Boston Standard
Report Spam   Logged
the Joker
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2015, 02:23:38 am »

I've got a 400 year old Chinese coin in my possession, if I threw it out in my yard and someone finds it 100 years from now, does that mean that the Chinese were here 500 years ago?
Report Spam   Logged
Watcher of the Skies
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2015, 02:25:50 am »

A hundred years after the fall of Carthage, the Roman 'navy' was fumbling about the British coast like keystone cops, at the mercy of Atlantic tides causing innumerable losses because the Romans were not familiar with the Atlantic whatsoever
Report Spam   Logged
Stellarpax

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2015, 02:28:20 am »

Please rent a sailboat and 'hug the coast' to Shetland. Get back to me when you get there, thanks Ah, but I'm sure you will say you meant 'hugging the coast means sailing 200 kilometers offshore' In point of fact, I stated that I am skeptical of the claim that the Carthaginians or Romans visited Oak Island. I merely stated the Carthaginians would be far more likely to do it than the Romans, based on the evidence I have provided. Heck, even the Greeks would have had a better shot than the Romans.
Report Spam   Logged
DieChecker

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 02:30:35 am »

Looking at Goggle maps, it looks like the Shetlands have islands leading to them which are never more then 30 miles apart. Well within visual range since Fair Island (which is roughly in the 60 mile straight between Scotland's northern islands and the Shetlands) is roughly 700 meters high at the highest point. So no actual need to sail out of sight of land..... I think what you are saying is true... but only if Oak Island were to be located off Europe, not North America.
Report Spam   Logged
Angry Rodent

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 02:33:12 am »

Aye, coast-hugging means staying within sight of land, not just 200 yards offshore ...... You can easily coast-hug from Rome to Lerwick
Report Spam   Logged
Helmut

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 02:39:41 am »

Sounds most unlikely, the only people who did arrive and where capable to reach America were the Vikings. The Romans were not known for going on wild sea voyages. But even if they got thrown off by a violent storm or got lost on some odd reconnaissance trip - I want to see scientific prove of them, and of whatever is left of that alleged Roman Voyage.
Report Spam   Logged
She-ra, Princess of Power

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2015, 02:49:29 am »

We actually have an old Chinese coin in the family, age unknown, that my parents turned up in the garden. They used to be used as decorations on vintage sewing baskets.
Report Spam   Logged

Openheimer

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2015, 02:53:09 am »

The Arch Fantasies podcast recently had a very good episode on the importance of establishing context on artefacts. Worth a listen, one of the interesting things mentioned was how much of a problem Native artefact collectors are. Very few label where they find their stuff, and in the one hand you have sites that are unknown due to removal of these artefacts, and on the other hand you have collections with artifacts that have stuff that shouldn't be found in that area. It may have been found there, or they could have traded or bought it for their collection.
Report Spam   Logged

"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." - the Bhagavad Gita
She-ra, Princess of Power

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 01:38:12 am »

Thanks. I was looking at that same site earlier but couldn't find it other than it was Ching. Got it this time though if I'm reading it right. Reign of Emperor Sheng Tsu, 1662 -1722, which makes it way older than I thought it was.
Report Spam   Logged

Thanato

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2015, 01:42:00 am »

The article mentions that the sword is 1500 years old which would have placed the find during the late Roman period and possibly even the Eastern Roman empire time. The Roman empire was inclusive of many sea goings peoples like the Greeks and Phoenicians. Its quite possible that a trading expedition was blown off course and into the North America's.
Report Spam   Logged
Thanato

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2015, 01:42:56 am »

The sword looks more ornamental than a military issued Roman sword. Mind you the article mentions that the sword is a thousand years before Columbus which would mean that at that stage Roman swords had developed beyond the short Gladius. Roman swords became longer by that time. So maybe this was a dagger.
Report Spam   Logged
Pax Unum

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2015, 01:46:56 am »

If this was about the time the Vikings were visiting North America, the sword was probably brought by a Viking. That Viking might have bought the sword or taken it from a defeated Roman soldier before leaving on the voyage. Revisiting the site and looking for other artifacts could clinch the question. If mostly Roman artifacts were found at the shipwreck, it was probably a Roman ship. If mostly Viking artifacts, probably Viking.
Report Spam   Logged

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Okane

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2015, 01:50:55 am »

Hutton is a proven con man. I have followed the Oak Island group before there was this show, they all have proven this sword to be fake. You can buy them off ebay. Do NOT listen to Hutton, he is a complete fraud/moron. He has been voted off the island by Rick and Marty. But you guys should have guessed that he was a fool by the cloths he wears in the show. I mean who in the hell wears that crap? An idiot con man pretending to be an archaeologist, that's who.
Report Spam   Logged
Okane

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2015, 01:52:01 am »

My gut says the sword is a plant and a fake and somebody is being taken for a ride here. As for Atlantic crossings from the Mediterranean between 0-1300 AD: I hate to label anything as impossible. Humans are clever and adventurous monkeys and It's certainly possible that attempts were made to see how far the ocean went west. Even though most ships were not designed for such a voyage that doesn't mean the technology to build more seaworthy vessels for long journeys didn't exist. The Mediterraneans were a sea faring people.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: