Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 08:20:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Were seafarers living here 16,000 years ago?
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=34805893-6a53-46f5-a864-a96d53991051&k=39922

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

An Alternative to Darwinian Evolution

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Alternative to Darwinian Evolution  (Read 3876 times)
19Merlin69

« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2007, 07:00:20 pm »

This comes from my web site.  It's meant to be Food for Thought...

1.      "Why are humans the only sentient beings?" OR “From where does sentience arise?”

2.      "Why, if we evolved from the very same organisms as everything else, are 'WE' the only life forms to question our existence?" 

3.      "Why does DNA act like string theory, and why does string theory appear as the same mechanism as DNA?”

4.      “Why, if everything evolved from the lowest single-celled life-forms, and followed a hierarchy to get to the point of humans, are there no such evolutions continuing today?”   

That last question really rubs my butt raw.  All of the prerequisite material is still present, and the environment that evolution occurred in is still here.  Grasses, mosses, fungi, sporazoa, leafy plants, flowering plants, insects, reptiles…  It’s all still here!  Now, as a mathematician, statistical analysis is relied on regularly to solve problems far more complex than this one of probabilities.  Linear regression, non-linear analysis, variance components, distribution fitting, and even discriminant analysis applied to this problem all point to a huge gap in the data set.  Statistically speaking, with all of the millions of species of life in existence today (plants/animals/minerals/viri/bacteria/insects), and the trillions of life-forms, we should be encountering “Evolution” as stated in the current theory; intermittently at the very least.  Not to be “flip” about it, but at some point we should see an amphibious creature hauls itself on to the shore and make its way to a Wal*Mart when its water-borne food supply dwindles due to environmental conditions…  Either that, or, with all of the work performed with chimps and dolphins, and the passage of time, one of them should be sneaking the Wall Street Journal into the restroom when they have to “do some paperwork”.  Crocodiles and alligators are purportedly some of the elder statesmen of evolution, yet to the best of my knowledge, not one of them has birthed a marsupial (or any other transitional species).  Statistics tells us that this should have happened if the current evolutionary theory is correct.  If that isn’t enough, there is the one aspect of the prevailing thought that completely defies logic due to its apparent randomness: The fact that the “grandparent species” doesn’t disappear, only the transitional species (parent) do, yet evolution ceases to occur within the grandparent.  In many cases, we wind up with the grandparents and the grandchildren, but no parents — sometimes.  It is due to just that very inconsistency in reason that so many others in my field question the “status-quo” of Evolutionary Theory. 

What is it they say about hindsight?  It is always 20/20, right?  Well, when given the chance to view the outcome of an event and its stages throughout its occurrence, standard investigative and statistical modeling techniques should allow us to develop a working model of the actual history.  We do this everyday with things like the stock market and accident investigations.  Essentially, we start from the end and work backwards until we get to the beginning; otherwise known as reverse troubleshooting.  This is where the idea of spontaneous evolution entered into the discussion years back and the point that panspermia began to be readdressed.    The progress of evolution appears to operate with a purpose, defying natural selection, but instead acting opportunistically.  Something, according to all of the data sieves, appeared to be interacting with the process of evolution at random points throughout history.  Non-sequential branches (not just mammals) could only be tracked backward to specific points until there was an intersection.  Actually, roadblock would be a better term.  Look at the analogy in figure below to see what I mean.

Numbers with circles around them are still in existence today.
Circles with question marks in them indicate a spontaneous or "virtual" number.
Circles with an "X" in them indicate a missing or "extinct" number.
Filled circles or "dots" indicate a junction or "divergence point".

Sometimes you can count from 10 to 1, meaning that evolutionary theory appears to be accurate, and other times you cannot; indicating some other mechanism is also involved.  The numbers that are circled are the most interesting aspect of the statistical analysis though.  For example:  The middle branch, beginning at the lower left.  The number 2 evolved into a 3, and then 3 into 4.  2 and 3 still exist today, but 4 does not.  4 evolved into a resilient 5 in one case, but also turned into a 6 in another — but that 6 didn’t survive.  Now, according to mathematical genetics that very same “non-hearty” 4 also created a virtual number which became a transitional 5 or a combination of 5, 6, 7 & 8.  This is by no means an exact replica of the evolutionary tree — it is a tiny representation, but the analogy is accurate nonetheless and it highlights a real problem.  In stark contrast to the contention offered by those that would use the chart as evidence to support a workable theory; the numbers are all wrong.  What I see is a fascinating curiosity involved here that mimics similar anomalies within other areas of research.  I recognize that this leap in logic resembles the methods by which we get virtual particles, Dark Matter, Dark Energy and Inflation in particle & astrophysics.  It’s also an almost identical similarity to the linguistics anomaly of the South African Xhosa, and the lack of evidence to support the religious texts of the world.  I could go on at length, but I digress…  It suffices to say that, in order to “believe” in the model, we have to bestow a magical quality upon the transitional species (circled numbers) just as we have done with with aspects of the aforementioned subjects.

I believe that it is this way because we want to believe it is so - not because it is.  Even science maintains a herd of sacred cows.

Report Spam   Logged

Knowledge is a gift to be given; stupidity, a communicable disease.
Aphrodite
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2007, 07:59:33 pm »

Hello Merlin,

Nice work. I can move the thread for you, just tell me which forum you wish it moved to and consider it done.

Karen
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 08:13:07 pm by Aphrodite » Report Spam   Logged

"He who controls others maybe powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.” - Lao Tsu
Majeston

« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2007, 09:40:25 pm »

Merl,

you'll have to answer #3 as I can't deal with string theory.

The other 3 questions are fairly easy including the one that rubs your butt raw.

I'm buying time here,  because I need to quote a few things unless you don't want me to.

In essence,  number 4 is because once "will"  appears on a planet the seven adjutant mind spirits appear, then no more major evolution can occur.
There are many instances in the universe that prove or at least show this mystery of creation.

Take an ovum for example.  Once the first sperm enters it,  there is a built in process that is like a force field which

the egg undergoes so that no more sperm can penetrate it.  Intelligent life is similar.  Something happens which prevents

another intelligent species from appearing.  Upon the functioning of the seven adjutants  the Life Carriers job is completed

for the most part.  Now,  I know you would have preferred to find a material biologic answer this,  but it is what it is.  Smiley

the seven adjutant mind spirits in order of appearance are

" The seven adjutant mind-spirits are called by names which are the equivalents of the following designations: intuition, understanding, courage, knowledge, counsel, worship, and wisdom. "

animals exhibit the first 5 spirits and some even approach the 6th.

What I found after years of study that it is quite interesting that the 7th spirit,  the spirit of wisdom,

come AFTER the 6th which is worship.   You're going to have a big problem, there friend.

I'm not saying you aren't wise.  You are probably the smartest guy around here.  But,  if wisdom follows worship

and your concept of God is an imaginary playmate,  then there is no real wisdom possible.  Right?  I mean logically

speaking.  So,  the real question here is,  what is meant by wisdom?

This of course leads us to eternity and souls and God and such,  so I'll end it here.  Smiley

P402:2, 36:5.5 We are handicapped for words adequately to designate these seven adjutant mind-spirits. They are ministers of the lower levels of experiential mind, and they may be described, in the order of evolutionary attainment, as follows:

P402:3, 36:5.6 1. The spirit of intuition -- quick perception, the primitive physical and inherent reflex instincts, the directional and other self-preservative endowments of all mind creations; the only one of the adjutants to function so largely in the lower orders of animal life and the only one to make extensive functional contact with the nonteachable levels of mechanical mind.

P402:4, 36:5.7 2. The spirit of understanding -- the impulse of co-ordination, the spontaneous and apparently automatic association of ideas. This is the gift of the co-ordination of acquired knowledge, the phenomenon of quick reasoning, rapid judgment, and prompt decision.

P402:5, 36:5.8 3. The spirit of courage -- the fidelity endowment -- in personal beings, the basis of character acquirement and the intellectual root of moral stamina and spiritual bravery. When enlightened by facts and inspired by truth, this becomes the secret of the urge of evolutionary ascension by the channels of intelligent and conscientious self-direction.

P402:6, 36:5.9 4. The spirit of knowledge -- the curiosity-mother of adventure and discovery, the scientific spirit; the guide and faithful associate of the spirits of courage and counsel; the urge to direct the endowments of courage into useful and progressive paths of growth.

P402:7, 36:5.10 5. The spirit of counsel -- the social urge, the endowment of species co-operation; the ability of will creatures to harmonize with their fellows; the origin of the gregarious instinct among the more lowly creatures.

P402:8, 36:5.11 6. The spirit of worship -- the religious impulse, the first differential urge separating mind creatures into the two basic classes of mortal existence. The spirit of worship forever distinguishes the animal of its association from the soulless creatures of mind endowment. Worship is the badge of spiritual-ascension candidacy.

P402:9, 36:5.12 7. The spirit of wisdom -- the inherent tendency of all moral creatures towards orderly and progressive evolutionary advancement. This is the highest of the adjutants, the spirit co-ordinator and articulator of the work of all the others. This spirit is the secret of that inborn urge of mind creatures which initiates and maintains the practical and effective program of the ascending scale of existence; that gift of living things which accounts for their inexplicable ability to survive and, in survival, to utilize the co-ordination of all their past experience and present opportunities for the acquisition of all of everything that all of the other six mental ministers can mobilize in the mind of the organism concerned. Wisdom is the acme of intellectual performance. Wisdom is the goal of a purely mental and moral existence.

http://urantiabook.org/newbook/ub/ppr036_5.html#P036_5_6
Report Spam   Logged

"melody has power a whole world to transform."
Forever, music will remain the universal language of men, angels, and spirits.
Harmony is the speech of Havona.

http://mercy.urantia.org/papers/paper44.html
rockessence
Superhero Member

Using rocks and minerals to heal the earth and us.

« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2007, 02:39:52 am »

How about just leaving worship out of it?   "The spirit of worship forever distinguishes the animal of its association from the soulless creatures of mind endowment. Worship is the badge of spiritual-ascension candidacy. "

Intuition, understanding, courage, knowledge, counsel, wisdom.... Why that 7th wheel on the bus?

"Worship is the badge of spiritual-ascension candidacy. "  Do you really agree with that?
Report Spam   Logged

ILLIGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

Thus ye may find in thy mental and spiritual self, ye can make thyself just as happy or just as miserable as ye like. How miserable do ye want to be?......For you GROW to heaven, you don't GO to heaven. It is within thine own conscience that ye grow there.

Edgar Cayce
19Merlin69

« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2007, 06:09:49 am »

Hello Merlin,

Nice work. I can move the thread for you, just tell me which forum you wish it moved to and consider it done.

Karen

I think it would make more sense here:  Atlantis Online > Science & Technology > Evolution vs. Intelligent Design.  Do you agree?  If so, let's move this discussion over there.

Thanks! 

Merl
Report Spam   Logged

Majeston

« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2007, 10:33:05 am »

Rocky says......... "why the seventh wheel on the bus"?

LOL 

P1640:3, 146:2.14 13.
Jesus never taught that human knowledge and special skill could be gained by prayer. But he did teach that prayer is a factor in the enlargement of one's capacity to receive the presence of the divine spirit.

P1641:1, 146:2.17 16. Jesus taught his followers that, when they had made their prayers to the Father, they should remain for a time in silent receptivity to afford the indwelling spirit the better opportunity to speak to the listening soul. The spirit of the Father speaks best to man when the human mind is in an attitude of true worship. We worship God by the aid of the Father's indwelling spirit and by the illumination of the human mind through the ministry of truth. Worship, taught Jesus, makes one increasingly like the being who is worshiped. Worship is a transforming experience whereby the finite gradually approaches and ultimately attains the presence of the Infinite.

How can you do without it Rocky?

If you are having trouble with the reality and cosmic truth of its concept perhaps this link will help.

http://urantiabook.org/urantiabook/topical_index/213.htm#worship
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 10:47:26 am by Majeston » Report Spam   Logged

Aphrodite
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2007, 10:50:14 am »

Topic moved, of course, at Merlin's request. It is more fitting here.
Enjoy, everyone.
Report Spam   Logged

"He who controls others maybe powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.” - Lao Tsu
rockessence
Superhero Member

« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2007, 12:10:24 pm »

Delete please
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 04:35:04 am by rockessence » Report Spam   Logged

Thus ye may find in thy mental and spiritual self, ye can make thyself just as happy or just as miserable as ye like. How miserable do ye want to be?......For you GROW to heaven, you don't GO to heaven. It is within thine own conscience that ye grow there.

Edgar Cayce
Majeston

« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2007, 03:39:16 pm »

Rocky hi,

If we are going to continue this we should do it somewhere else (unless of course Merlin actually has some interest). 

The only reason I started it here was to answer Merlins 4 questions which could not be answered without it.

But,  there is a difference between prayer and worship.  A simple answer is the following

Worship is for its own sake; prayer embodies a self- or creature-interest element; that is the great difference between worship and prayer. There is absolutely no self-request or other element of personal interest in true worship; we simply worship God for what we comprehend him to be. Worship asks nothing and expects nothing for the worshiper. We do not worship the Father because of anything we may derive from such veneration; we render such devotion and engage in such worship as a natural and spontaneous reaction to the recognition of the Father's matchless personality and because of his lovable nature and adorable attributes.

The moment the element of self-interest intrudes upon worship, that instant devotion translates from worship to prayer and more appropriately should be directed to the person of the Eternal Son or the Creator Son. But in practical religious experience there exists no reason why prayer should not be addressed to God the Father as a part of true worship.

http://urantiabook.org/newbook/ub/ppr005_3.html#P005_3_3
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 03:45:14 pm by Majeston » Report Spam   Logged

rockessence
Superhero Member

« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2007, 04:47:33 pm »

Why can't I delete this?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 04:34:15 am by rockessence » Report Spam   Logged

Edgar Cayce
Majeston

« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2007, 08:34:24 pm »

Rocky,

I was going to move this over to Search for the Sacred in the Nature of God section.

Reason being,  we are moving past just the inherent nature of evolution to

definite questions and material of a broader nature.

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,22.0.html
Report Spam   Logged

19Merlin69

« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2007, 10:07:52 am »

Topic moved, of course, at Merlin's request. It is more fitting here.
Enjoy, everyone.

I appreciate that.  It feels might comfy in our new home.  We'll decorate later.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 08:45:35 pm by 19Merlin69 » Report Spam   Logged

Boreas

« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2007, 04:07:32 am »

The Chicken, - or The Egg?                                               

Behaviour scientists have turned Darwin’s evolutionary theory on its head by demonstrating that chickens inherit their parents’ stress symptoms.

Darwin based his theory on the assumption that acquired traits, such as learnt modifications of behaviour, cannot be inherited by the offspring.

But now the Swedish-Norwegian research group, led by professor Per Jensen at Linköping University in Sweden, has shown that chickens can actually inherit behavioural modifications induced by stress in their parents.

The scientists grew groups of chickens under stressful conditions, where a randomly fluctuating day-night rhythm made access to food and resting perches unpredictable.

This caused a marked decrease in the ability of the stressed birds to solve a spatial learning task.

Remarkably, their offspring also had a decreased learning ability, in spite of being kept under non-stress conditions from the point of egg-laying.

They were also more competitive and grew faster than offspring of non-stressed birds.

To investigate whether there was any genetic basis for the effect, the research group examined the expression levels of about 9,000 genes in the brain of the chickens.
Birds exposed to stress

In birds exposed to stress, there was a number of genes where the expression was either increased or decreased, and the same genes were similarly affected in the offspring.

The results therefore demonstrate that both the changes in gene function and the behavioural changes caused by stress were transferred to the offspring.

Both these effects were only seen in domesticated chickens, not in the ancestor, the red jungle fowl.

The scientists speculate that domestication may have favoured animals which are able to affect the biology of their offspring through genetic modifications.

The results offer new insights into how animal populations may be capable of adaptation to stressful environments in evolutionary short times.

This can help explain both the rapid development of animals during domestication, and evolutionary responses to changing conditions in nature.

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.bio.evolution/browse_thread/thread/9ea284ad2e77ab7d/d4f73eedd630fdcb

« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 04:32:13 am by Boreas » Report Spam   Logged

Gens Una Sumus
19Merlin69

« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2007, 09:48:48 am »

Boreas

That's an interesting article in many respects.  What does it mean to you?  How do you think this affects the overall status of evolutionary theory?
Report Spam   Logged

rockessence
Superhero Member

« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2007, 12:55:39 pm »

Boy that is an interesting outcome!  I am intrigued that the ancestor, the red jungle fowl, did not pass on stress to offspring...That may indicate that the stress factors were too common to raise an eyebrow, and that they were constantly "on their toes" anyway.   The constant protection that domestication afforded, perhaps lost them their quick adaptability.
Report Spam   Logged

Edgar Cayce
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: