Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 10:01:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Nightmare on First Street: Fatal shooting at ZombiCon

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nightmare on First Street: Fatal shooting at ZombiCon  (Read 207 times)
Stormtrooper
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 08:29:18 pm »

Unstable people with guns.

Seems it happens everyday in the USA now.
Report Spam   Logged

Seven of Nine
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 08:43:58 pm »

The pro-gun lobby wants no restrictions on owning any type of gun, nor do they want restrictions on where to carry.

Need proof? Any time anyone (i.e., national politician) brings up the subject of gun control, gun company stock sales soar, ammunition sales soar, etc. It's like that scene in "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes," where the guy in the library barely says, "Tomato!" and people run for their lives. But you knew all that.
Report Spam   Logged

Seven of Nine
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 08:44:51 pm »

It's always in hindsight that the pro-gun people say, "The victims should've rushed the shooter!" or "If only the victims were armed!"

Funny though, that it never seems to actually happen though. You can't tell me all the good guys with guns, who hold concealed carry permits and walk around their local grocery stores and restaurants (do I need to link to a picture of the people in stores holding AR-15 type rifles? You've seen them, I know) just aren't around when these things happen.
Report Spam   Logged

Seven of Nine
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 08:46:26 pm »

There were about as many guns as there are people.....roughly one gun per person. I have no guns. That means that someone else is taking up the slack. It's a given there are people in the U.S. who own multiple guns. To think otherwise is ludicrous on its face.

But in looking at numbers, at least as far as gun ownership:
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/07/15/the-demographics-and-politics-of-gun-owning-households/
Report Spam   Logged

Seven of Nine
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 08:46:54 pm »

And a separate article from Pew:
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/06/04/a-minority-of-americans-own-guns-but-just-how-many-is-unclear/
Report Spam   Logged

Kal-L
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 08:49:29 pm »

One point in the argument that keeps getting shouted down is not the number of guns in the country, nor the question of the right to own guns. But how easy it is to acquire them.

Guns have been around for nearly 1,000 years. They're far, far older than the United States. They're not going anywhere, even if you banned every type of firearm ever made. I'm not in the banning camp (although I think some should be banned for civilian use -- who needs an assault rifle to hunt?), but I am in the control and regulate camp. And that's where I don't get the vitriol and irrationality of the pro-gun lobby.

Our other rights are controlled and regulated. You have freedom of speech, but can't yell fire in a crowded movie theater, nor can you slander another person. You have the right to vote, but can't, as Al Capone supposedly said, "Vote early and vote often."

Why (and this is really a rhetorical question) is the 2nd amendment considered the only one to be so absolute? All guns, everywhere, no restrictions. That's idiocy. I can't stand on a street corner and yell that Sally Hawkins is a tramp. I'd get sued. Unless I can back it up, but I might get in trouble for disturbing the peace, or inciting a riot, but that's different.

I can criticize the president without fear of retaliation, but I can't threaten the president's life. If speech worked the way the gun lobby does, I could say anything about anyone anytime, whether it's true or not. And if someone sues me for slander or libel, I'd countersue, saying, "You're trampling on my rights! I'm the victim here!"

Our absolutist gun culture is illogical, irrational, wrong, and just plain crazy.
Report Spam   Logged
Kal-L
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 08:50:45 pm »

I find it amazing that people who believe a zombie apocalypse is not only possible but is imminent are allowed to own guns.

Personally I don't think that both of their oars are in the water, it would scare the hell out of me to think they may own an assault rifle.
Report Spam   Logged
MinisterofInfo
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 08:54:46 pm »

I find it amazing that people who believe a zombie apocalypse is not only possible but is imminent are allowed to own guns.

Personally I don't think that both of their oars are in the water, it would scare the hell out of me to think they may own an assault rifle.
Are you suggesting you would support a law that states "any person who states that they believe a zombie apocalypse is possible is barred from owning a gun" then?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 08:57:13 pm by Rachel Dearth » Report Spam   Logged
Rachel Dearth
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 08:56:29 pm »

My theory is and dad thinks its a pretty good one. It was a zombie survivalist who saw the con and thought zombies had started to appear. Eventually the guy went "crazy."
Report Spam   Logged
Shadow Warrior
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 09:11:19 pm »

While I personally would not use a gun on someone who was only carrying a blunt weapon, I won't blame others who would.  Everyone has their own level of self-preservation vs excessive escalation, and it is best left to a jury, not to an individual, to decide whether the reaction was merited.  Personally, I would think less of an able-bodied person for shooting another merely because the other had a rock, when there was no imminent threat and other options were available.

The "Responsible" in "Responsible gun owner", unfortunately, doesn't extend to actually using the gun in emergency situations.  Sadly, the vast, vast, majority of gun owners do not train using crisis scenarios.  Nor would it be particularly realistic to expect them to do so; as has been already and exhaustively pointed out, the use of a firearm in a crisis scenario is so low in probability, it is hardly worth the effort.  "Responsible" refers to the gun owner's behavior in limiting the amount of risk the firearm poses merely by possession of it.  You keep it in a secure location, you train your children (and, if necessary, friends and acquaintences) not to play with it, and take reasonable measures to keep the firearm from doing what it was created to do, and what it does extremely efficiently, namely, kill things (like children, friends. acquantainces, and on very rare occassions, an actual bad guy, possibly one brandishing a rock).

But in an actual crisis situation, the vast majority of gun owners simply do not have the level of training to surmount the panic firing instinct.  Guns are simply too efficient and well-designed to do what they do.  Creating multiple high-probability chances of death within a couple of seconds with the twitch of a finge
Report Spam   Logged

Gaertner
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2015, 09:13:48 pm »

When you get down to it, the only reason to have a gun is "Because it's legal, and I want to." There's no logical reason in today's society, especially for CCW.

I disagree about the responsible vs irresponsible in emergency situations. If someone isn't trained in emergency situations to handle a gun, for the sake of the universe, why does that person have a gun?! That's about as smart as hiring non-swimmers to be lifeguards at a pool.
Report Spam   Logged
Purgatory

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2015, 09:15:35 pm »

Reminds me of those times on the fledgling WWW where the topic was always 'What makes America Great'

~ still undecided I guess ..
Report Spam   Logged
Raissa

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 09:17:44 pm »

Oh, please.  Pro-gunners care about self-defense as much as they care about mental health.  Those are just excuses.
Report Spam   Logged
Raissa

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2015, 09:18:47 pm »

I've known people living in rural areas who do actually use guns for hunting to supplement their families diets (farming ain't all that profitable).  And, of course, to fend off a bear.

The self-defense argument, however, is largely a self-supporting mythos.
Report Spam   Logged
Sphere of Influence
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2015, 09:22:13 pm »

Well, I wouldn't go that far.  I've known people living in rural areas who do actually use guns for hunting to supplement their families diets (farming ain't all that profitable). 

That, to me, is also an excuse. "I always eat what I shoot," is a common refrain. The fact of the matter is, in today's society, it's completely unnecessary. Unless of course, a person literally lives in a Deliverance style world, where they haven't seen no town bigger'n Aintree.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: