Atlantis Online
March 19, 2024, 04:38:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Plato's Atlantis: Fact, Fiction or Prophecy?
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=CarolAnn_Bailey-Lloyd
http://www.underwaterarchaeology.com/atlantis-2.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Coyote runs away with dog from family's east side backyard

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coyote runs away with dog from family's east side backyard  (Read 60 times)
Deanna Witmer
Superhero Member

« on: September 17, 2015, 12:57:34 am »

MADISON, Wis. -Arnie and Joanne Braund spent years watching the birds, deer and squirrels that visit their backyard that is backed up to a field, but last week they saw something they didn't want to see.

The backyard was also a place where their 2 1/2-year-old Maltese named Chopper loved to run and play.

Last Friday around 9:10 a.m., Chopper went to the door wanting to go outside. Arnie opened the door, but checked the backyard before letting Chopper out.

“I opened up the patio door, but I gave a quick scan because you never know if there’s some stray dog, a big dog or what could be out here and I didn’t see anything so I let him out,” Arnie Braund said.

A security camera shows a reflection in the window of Chopper running into the yard. Chopper stopped approximately 30 yards from the door. Braund then turned to talk to Joanne Braund, who was by another window.

“Arnie had just said to me, 'I’m still on coyote watch,' and I said, 'Well there’s one coming,'” Joanne Braund said.

The time on the security camera video shows Chopper had only been outside for 67 seconds before being attacked by a coyote. The video shows the Braunds running desperately to save their dog. They were unable to catch the coyote as it ran away with Chopper.

“We heard Chopper squeal and that was kind of the end of it,” Joanne Braund said.

A leading expert on coyote behavior, Marc Bekoff, said attacks like this are not the norm.

“Actually it is rather unusual for dogs to be taken by coyotes,” said Bekoff, a professor emeritus at the University of Colorado and an author of several books on coyote behavior.

Bekoff worked with several communities to develop strategies for dealing with coyotes and said there are proven methods.

"One is when you know coyotes are around, hazing them really works. It is very simple, as simple as shaking a pop can full of coins or throwing something at them,” Bekoff said.

He said studies show what doesn’t work is killing coyotes.

“I’ve always talked that the science really shows that it is like a domino effect that you get rid of one animal and another animal comes in. You get rid of five animals and five more come in and that’s because we’re compressing their habitat by our development and these animals are going to where they can live,” Bekoff said.

He also recommends people keep their pets inside after 5 p.m. and until after 9 a.m. Coyotes are most active during the evening, night and early morning hours.

Chopper was taken by a coyote at 9:10 a.m.

“Watch your little pets. We can’t do too much about the coyotes back here but watch your pets,” Joanne Braund said.

http://www.fox47.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/coyote-runs-away-dog-familys-east-side-backyard-6154.shtml
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: