Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 04:49:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Underwater caves off Yucatan yield three old skeletons—remains date to 11,000 B.C.
http://www.edgarcayce.org/am/11,000b.c.yucata.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Did US troops encounter Bigfoot in Vietnam ?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did US troops encounter Bigfoot in Vietnam ?  (Read 496 times)
Avalon
Superhero Member

« on: September 15, 2015, 01:36:46 am »

Did US troops encounter Bigfoot in Vietnam ?
Posted on Saturday, 12 September, 2015

Could a new species of ape be hiding in Vietnam's jungles ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.5 Diliff
A significant number of soldiers reported encounters with an ape-like creature in the jungles of Vietnam.
Stories of large hairy hominids have cropped up in many parts of the world - most notably in Russia, North America, Australia and the Himalayas. One of the lesser known such legends however hails from Vietnam - in particular from the time of the Vietnam War from the 1950s to the 1970s.

Known by the locals as "Nguoi Rung" or "the people of the forest", this Bigfoot-like creature was allegedly encountered on numerous occasions by US serviceman in Vietnam's jungles.

One such incident was reported by Gary Linderer who, while on a six-man patrol with the 101st Airborne, came across a creature that he described as being "5ft tall with long, muscular arms".

In another case army Sgt. Thomas Jenkins reported that his platoon had been attacked by a group of unidentified ape-like creatures throwing rocks.

Even the Vietcong reported encounters with ape-beasts covered in reddish-brown hair.

Following the war a number of notable scientists traveled to the remote jungles of Vietnam in an effort to track down the creature that the soldiers had been seeing.

Both ornithologist Dr. Vo Quy and Vietnamese scientist Tran Hong Viet managed to discover and document footprints that didn't seem to match any known species of native primate.

Zoologist John MacKinnon, who had previously found evidence of a similar creature in the wilds of Borneo, described the area as a "tiny, pristine corner of the world unknown to modern science."

To date however no new species of ape matching the soldiers' reports has ever been found.

http://www.wearethemighty.com/u-s-troops-saw-bigfoot-vietnam-2015-09
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Avalon
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 01:37:49 am »

A bunch of U.S. troops think they saw Bigfoot in Vietnam
Blake Stilwell September 10, 2015

Bigfoot Vietnam from 60s video
Low draft number. Sorry, Bigfoot.

In the Kontum Province of Vietnam, near the borders with Laos and Cambodia, there were many reports from U.S. troops on patrols of a strange, not-quite-human but not-quite-ape creature the locals call Nguoi Rung, or “The people of the Forest.” In other words: Bigfoot.

Gary Linderer was on a six-man patrol with the 101st Airborne’s Long Range Reconnaissance Patrols. While struggle through the underbrush, he ran into “deep set eyes on a prominent brow… five feet tall, with long muscular arms.” The creature “walked upright with broad shoulders and a heavy torso.” His battle buddies told him he just saw a rock ape, but Linderer had seen Rock Apes before. This was no Rock Ape.
Report Spam   Logged
Avalon
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 01:38:35 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Avalon
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 01:38:44 am »

Like the Yeti in the Himalayas, and the Sasquatch sightings all over North America, the Nguoi Rung is a oft-told tale in the area, but despite endless the sightings and folklore attached to the semi-mythical creature, no concrete evidence exists. Linderer wasn’t the only witness, either. Army Sgt. Thomas Jenkins reported his platoon was attacked by these apes throwing stones.

Toward the end of the war, Viet Cong and NVA soldiers reported so many sightings of the reddish-brown hair-covered Nguoi Rung the North Vietnamese communist party secretariat ordered scientists to investigate.

Dr. Vo Quy, a respected ornithologist and environmental researcher from Hanoi, discovered a Nguoi Rung footprint on the forest floor and made a cast of it. The cast was wider than a human foot and too big for an ape. In 1982, another Vietnamese scientist, Tran Hong Viet discovered more footprints, which led zoologist John MacKinnon to investigate the region. MacKinnon called the area a “tiny, pristine corner of the world unknown to modern science.”
Report Spam   Logged
Avalon
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 01:39:32 am »

The 1982 Footprint Cast

In 1969, MacKinnon discovered manlike footprints in Borneo’s jungles, which the locals called Batatut. While much of the evidence surrounding the existence of these apes is anecdotal, MacKinnon, known for his discovery of new mammal species in Vietnam, believes there is a possibility the existence of a previously unknown ape species is real.

The account of Nguoi Rung meeting American GIs in Vietnam was first published in Kregg P.J. Jorgenson’s Very Crazy, GI: Strange But True Stories of the Vietnam War.

http://www.wearethemighty.com/u-s-troops-saw-bigfoot-vietnam-2015-09
Report Spam   Logged
Rage Against the Machine

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 01:41:47 am »

To try finding big foot is a waste of time in my opinion. I mean if we find him amazing, but I think an expedition should be made to discover more likely exsisting creatures or to locate remote ecosystems that offer a plethora of new life, not looking for a creature that countless expeditions have proven unsuccessful.
Report Spam   Logged
Demonxxx

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 01:43:58 am »

Is this thread about bigfoot? I suppose it is, but only in that a humanoid ape is involved. We know Irish Deer are extinct, so we shouldn't look for any more muntjac deer anywhere?
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 01:45:22 am »

Not exactly it's more asking for the opinion of it's readers if a story created by the military in vietnam is viable or not.
Report Spam   Logged
Gremlin

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 01:46:34 am »

To search for something extinct is idiotic I mean why not just search for new stuff and maybe one day a once thought extinct creature will emerge.
Report Spam   Logged

Stellarpax

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 01:48:11 am »

I support that. I just think that if people report seeing something, and their not stoned, or have brain cancer, or whatever, then it probably should be followed up on. Even if the "rock apes" were just gilly suited VietCong jungle fighters, it would be cool to track that bit of info down and make it a fact.
Report Spam   Logged
Sphere of Influence
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 01:51:46 am »

There is little that can be done when it comes to these types of stories. Yeah we could investigate, but were would that lead us? More than likely thousands of dollars later we would still have this story thrown in with a bunch of new stories of the exsistence of such creatures, all here say by the way. This will only lead to wasted money and time by scientist that should be spending there time in areas of actual science and will also lead people to be more sceptic of science. What should be done is a team of scientist go to Vietnam and search for undiscovered life.
Report Spam   Logged
DieChecker

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 01:55:11 am »

People throw down thousands on back to school shopping. Grants are given for complete garbage research, so I don't see why going looking for an ape, that has every chance of being there, just not in the form people report, is so wasteful. All you need is a researcher, a vehicle and money. Good work was done looking for the Orang Pendek years ago by a team just going there, putting out a dozen trail cameras with long life batteries and coming back months later. Minimum cost and effort, but still following up on leads.
Report Spam   Logged
the Joker
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 01:58:51 am »

Ok fair enough, but I'm sure finding those specific animals was not there sole objectives when going into these places. Also, I don't believe they searched for quite as long as they have for big foot. Cryptozoology is one of many areas of science that I find a waste of time, do to the fact of results it has produced over the many years of it's exsistence.
Report Spam   Logged
Firefly
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 02:00:48 am »

I don't think people really have any notion of how densely populated modern Vietnam has become. Let me just say that no matter where you go you always see little shacks and gardens and people doing their thing. You don't have "open spaces." Recently environmentalism has taken root with a few people and some areas of "wilderness" has been set aside, but believe me it is not real. They are "eco-preserves" largely designed for tourists.
Report Spam   Logged
The Creeper
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 02:03:05 am »

I agree. I generally also agree that spending ANY money looking for bigfoot is generally foolish. The odds are very bad. BUT, I also say that if one wants to do it for a hobby, I am all in favor of that. Lots of people have stupid, expensive, foolish hobbies. Like drag racing, or owning pet horses, or collecting 300 guns. I do believe however that eyewitness reports shouldn't be dismissed, but should be looked at individually, and discussed. Most are almost always immediately obvious to be misidentification, or hoaxes, or a person on drugs.... But some are genuinely interesting.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: