Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 02:51:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ARE Search For Atlantis 2007 Results
http://mysterious-america.net/bermudatriangle0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

DNA data storage could last for millennia

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DNA data storage could last for millennia  (Read 335 times)
Ganem
Superhero Member

« on: August 24, 2015, 12:24:23 am »

DNA data storage could last for millennia
Posted on Tuesday, 18 August, 2015

Can we store huge amounts of data on DNA ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Christoph Bock
A new way of storing information on DNA strands could help keep data secure for thousands of years.
The technology, which was first announced a few years ago by a multinational research team, involves storing huge amounts of digital data on microscopic strands of DNA.

While even the largest of today's hard drives can only store around 6 terabytes of data, this new method could theoretically store 300,000 terabytes of data within only a fraction of an ounce of DNA.

It even has an advantage over traditional storage mediums in terms of reliability as well with DNA data remaining viable for thousands of years without any significant degradation.

This unparalleled longevity was demonstrated this week for the first time at the 250th meeting of the American Chemical Society where the researchers revealed that they had succeeded in storing data on DNA strands for the equivalent of 2,000 years - a feat that was accomplished by embedding the DNA in silica balls and heating it up to 160 degrees Fahrenheit for one week.

The next task in the process of turning this in to a practical storage medium will be to find a way to make it possible to access specific information on the DNA rather than having to read it all at once.

"In DNA storage, you have a drop of liquid containing floating molecules encoded with information," wrote lead researcher Robert Gras. "Right now, we can read everything that’s in that drop. But I can’t point to a specific place within the drop and read only one file."

http://news.discovery.com/tech/biotechnology/dna-data-storage-lasts-thousands-of-years-150817.htm
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Maas

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 12:26:11 am »

I thought DNA is mutable ?
Report Spam   Logged
Maas

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 12:26:19 am »

Just how much is 300,000 terahawks of info?
Report Spam   Logged
Ünlüsoy

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 12:27:59 am »

307,200,259 gigabytes,which is a lot.
Report Spam   Logged
World full of Madness

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 12:29:36 am »

Dont you think this data would alter the host? I wonder if this is rooted in that assumption that the dna that isnt understood is "junk".
Report Spam   Logged
Out of Sight, Out of Mind
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 12:31:05 am »

I think the DNA has been removed from a host and embedded in silicon. I'd guess it's not alive at that point.
Report Spam   Logged
Hunt for Extraterrestial Lifeforms

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 12:32:18 am »

It's a novel idea. The main problem is decoding the DNA into something usable.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: