Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 12:19:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remains of ancient civilisation discovered on the bottom of a lake
http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20071227/94372640.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Divers record footage of 'real-life Jaws'

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Divers record footage of 'real-life Jaws'  (Read 330 times)
Shiloh

« on: August 16, 2015, 09:18:03 pm »

Divers record footage of 'real-life Jaws'
Posted on Wednesday, 12 August, 2015

The enormous shark is over 20ft long. Image Credit: Facebook / Mauricio Hoyos Padilla
Footage has emerged showing what is thought to be the largest great white shark ever recorded on film.
In a scene reminiscent of something from Steven Spielberg's 1975 classic monster movie, scientists looking for sharks off the coast of Guadalupe Island in Mexico managed to film a gigantic 20ft great white known as 'Deep Blue' swimming around them.

The shark was so large in fact that it was almost as big as the team's 22ft research vessel.

"When I saw Deep Blue for the first time, there was just one thought in my mind: Hope," wrote researcher Mauricio Hoyos Padilla whose clip of Deep Blue has received over seven million views.

"A shark of that size is at least 50 years old and that tells me protection and conservation efforts are really working. Deep Blue has been spared from longlines and the inherent dangers of being in the wild, and somehow she has found her way in the vast ocean."

The huge shark will be featured as part of the Discovery Channel’s "Shark Week 2015" event in an episode entitled "Island of the Mega Shark" which is due to air on Saturday, August 29th.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2328138/great-white-shark-deep-blue-gives-a-high-five-for-a-shark-week-video/
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Shiloh

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 09:19:20 pm »

Great White Shark ‘Deep Blue’ Gives A High Five For A Mega ‘Shark Week’ Video

The great white shark Deep Blue is apparently the largest great white shark ever caught on video, according to researchers. The giant shark was spotted near Guadalupe Island and researchers have already released a video clip which features the great white shark Deep Blue before it becomes famous on Shark Week. The video even seems to show the great white shark giving divers a high five.

In a related report by the Inquisitr, the world’s fattest great white shark was recently tagged by Ocearch in July.

The reason that the great white shark, Deep Blue, has become so famous so quickly is because Mexican researcher Mauricio Hoyos Padilla posted a new video clip of the huge shark on Facebook. The number of views has already soared way past seven million, especially considering it gives us a preview of the upcoming Shark Week video.

Padilla also expressed happiness that everyone was focused on the beauty of the shark rather than making comparisons to Jaws and violence of shark attacks.

“2,030,457 views of this footage and not even one negative comment about sharks!!!! Conservation and awareness of White Sharks in human mind…..CHECK!!!! Are White Sharks the most beautiful and majestic animals??? HELL YEAH!!!!”

The researcher also wrote on their website why they believe conservation efforts are working.

“When I saw Deep Blue for the first time, there was just one in my mind: Hope. A shark of that size is at least 50 years old and that tells me protection and conservation efforts are really working. Deep Blue has been spared from longlines and the inherent dangers of being in the wild, and somehow she has found her way in the vast ocean.”

The scientists from Woods Hole’s Oceanographic Institute were able to tag the great white shark Deep Blue. Researchers say the female great white shark Deep Blue measures more than 20 feet, which was almost as long as the 22-foot research vessel the scientists were on.

Deep Blue bears scars on her left flank, which the experts believe are either remnants from other sharks attacking her, or the results of some very rough mating. Deep Blue is believed to be heavily pregnant and her huge, swollen belly is quite noticeable in the video.

“When White Sharks are about to give birth, they get close to the shore and deliver their pups in shallow areas, known as nursery ground, which are full of food and free of predators. Unfortunately, these areas are close to shore and are very vulnerable to several human threats and Deep Blue, her pups, and fellow White Sharks need your help!”

So what about that great white shark’s high five moment? Padilla also told Live Science what happened.

“The dive master was pushing the shark away — it has a big laceration on the right side,” said Padilla. “It was really close to the cage, and they have pointy ends. It is so big it couldn’t turn properly. So he was trying to push her away, because he didn’t want her to get hurt.”

The great white shark Deep Blue will be featured during the Discovery Channel’s Shark Week 2015 in the first episode titled “Island of the Mega Shark,” which airs on Saturday, August 29. But some scientists have been critical of the previous Mega Shark claims by Shark Week.

For example, Michael Domeier of the Marine Conservation Science Institute claimed a previous episode of “Island of the Mega Shark” featuring Tailscratch was very inaccurate.

“Island of the Mega Shark was a very low point for Shark Week! The program is devoid of any meaningful new shark information while misleading the public on many fronts…. The method they use for measuring sharks is not accurate, since both the shark and the measuring stick must be in exactly the same plane.”

Domeier also disputed the idea that Tailscratch was pregnant, which is also claimed of the great white shark Deep Blue.

“Our research has shown that Guadalupe Island is a mating site that is actively avoided by females that are pregnant. In fact, we tracked Tailscratch through a 2-year migration and she avoided the island when she was pregnant. When a large shark eats an elephant seal it looks huge; not even a trained scientist can tell the difference between a pregnant shark and one that has eaten an enormous meal.”

What do you think about the Shark Week videos shown so far?
Report Spam   Logged
Shiloh

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 09:19:43 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Shiloh

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 09:20:04 pm »

A Mega ‘Shark Week’ Video
Report Spam   Logged
Shiloh

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 09:21:07 pm »

Image via Live Science]
Report Spam   Logged
Blackwater

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 12:25:48 am »

Can't say that "beautiful" would be the word I would use to describe this beast. More of them out there too. This Tiger Shark was landed in NSW, it was a bit shorter at 18 feet. Before people get upset, it is not known yet if it was killed intentionally, but being on that boat, it sure looks the case. Just glad I did not meet it.
Report Spam   Logged
Blackwater

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 12:26:59 am »

The video didn't work for me.... I found this one on youtube though.
Report Spam   Logged
Blackwater

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 12:27:19 am »

The GW was 20 foot, the Tiger 18, amazing coincidence that the two were seen so close together. If such huge beast's really are endangered, then it is astounding that two were seen so close to the same time frame isn't it. I will bet the shark did not and killed indiscriminately. Both of them for that matter. That is what they do. What the hell has that got to do with the fact that there are more big sharks out there?
Report Spam   Logged
Rebelitarian

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 11:26:53 am »

Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: