Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 10:18:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Giant crater may lie under Antarctic ice
http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn9268

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Bettany Hughes interview: on how Socrates would have solved Greece's problems

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bettany Hughes interview: on how Socrates would have solved Greece's problems  (Read 3697 times)
DecoNoir

« on: August 02, 2015, 07:25:51 pm »

In ancient Greece, Socrates was the most appreciated intellectual of his time. One day, he met an acquaintance on the street, who told him, all excited.
‘master, you’ll never believe what I’ve just heard about one of your students!’
‘One moment’ says himself, ‘ before you tell me anything, I’ll have to make you pass the triple filter test. Before you tell me anything about this boy, think. The first filter is truth. Are you completely certain that what you are about to tell me is completely true?’
‘well, no, I’ve just heard it &…
‘ah ha. You see! OK, the 2nd filter is charity. Is what you are about to tell me a good thing about this boy?’
‘no, says the friend, quite the contrary!’.
‘so’, says Socrates, ‘you want to tell me something bad & maybe untrue! Lets go to the third filter. Is what you are going to tell me useful to me or good news?’
the friend shakes his head & agrees that no & wanders off down the street, which is why Socrates never found out that the young Plato was banging his wife.
Report Spam   Logged

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: