Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 07:23:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remains of ancient civilisation discovered on the bottom of a lake
http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20071227/94372640.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Scientist warns the world to 'think twice before replying to alien signals

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scientist warns the world to 'think twice before replying to alien signals  (Read 400 times)
Xomon

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 01:21:05 am »

The typical completely idiotic statement by some believers. Do you not read posts here and just want to spout nonsense, is that it? Can you point to a single, present member here at UM that has stated that ET does not exists? No, you cannot. We don't know the nature, laws and conditions of life in the universe, so all we can do is look at the present evidence, of which there is absolutely none. Oh, what nonsense. Wait, what? Who?
Report Spam   Logged
Ufochick

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 01:23:10 am »

I say with make contact. If nothing else our new alien overlords might be able to fix what we've screwed up. Everyone seems to have a doom and gloom approach to finding extraterrestrial life. Too much hollywood influence.
Report Spam   Logged
Felony Mystique

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 01:25:15 am »

there is no evidence of ETs, nor probable signs of them even attempting to contact us. so, why bother ourselves, and waste the very little resources that create hostility amongst ourselves?
Report Spam   Logged
Vanguard of Truth
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 01:26:42 am »

I`ll stick with the "Spoutnonsense" E.T. or no E.T. is the question, THe Distance is the answer,First one must learn to travel the Distance and that includes listening & talking to ,A few Light years today maybe just a hop,skip and jump tomorrow? Right now we need to chill out, and really learn to make Peace& water here on Terra-Baked 3rd Rock ! Or as An Alien race a few million Light years away that we dont know about.
Report Spam   Logged
Astra

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 01:28:20 am »

Look at this way if humans are the example of what all self-aware intelligent species with free will could be in the universe and you know how human nature is, you wouldn't be the bit cautious?
Report Spam   Logged
Sphere of Influence
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 01:31:54 am »

Ummm...Why would the same people spend $100 million on a project to find out if aliens are talking to us, but then warn us against saying anything back to them?
Report Spam   Logged
She-ra, Princess of Power

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 02:29:41 am »

ET might be so intelligent, that they have the capability to shroud their radio signals towards Earth!
Report Spam   Logged

Medium of the Damned
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 02:37:49 am »

Sure that is a possibility, but I still think it is worth a try. If we listen we might never find a signal, but if we don't listen we are certain to never get a signal. To me this makes even a longshot worth the trouble and, as SETI is privately funded, it won't cost us anything !
Report Spam   Logged
Behold, I am Death, Destroyer of Worlds
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 02:41:53 am »

Ok lets add some realism to the convo shall we? The new earth-like planet discovered by kepler, is, or was, a great candidate for potential life.... and...its 14,000 light years away. That means that travelling at the speed of light, a signal from that planet takes 'only' 14, 000 years for us to receive it...which naturally makes the signal... 14,000 years old. Now IF....IF we got signals from it, not only would they be very old, but it will take us, 14, 000 years to reply, by which time we could have blown ourselves to bits in WW3. So nothing about receiving signals from aliens.
Report Spam   Logged
the Joker
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 02:36:56 am »

I talk to E.T`s all the time on Facebook ! im sure of it ! Shirley !
Report Spam   Logged
Iron Lotus

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 02:39:51 am »

2000 years from now "the Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy" will probably be the equivalent of what the bible is today and people will still be waiting and watching for nuumber 42 to come from the skies! Nah personally i believe what comes from space in the form of meteorites is much higher threat than the chance aliens would encounter us ! I am not saying there are no aliens, i just dont think were that special to them for them too spent the time and effort
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: