Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 09:02:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DID A COMET CAUSE A FIRESTORM THAT DEVESTATED NORTH AMERICA 12,900 YEARS AGO?
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1963.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Giant squid caught on film by Russian sailors

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Giant squid caught on film by Russian sailors  (Read 810 times)
Austin Heller
Superhero Member

« on: July 26, 2015, 12:36:39 am »

Giant squid caught on film by Russian sailors
Posted on Friday, 24 July, 2015

The huge cephalopod tried to feed on a fish the sailors had caught. Image Credit: YouTube / LiveLeak

The crew of a fishing vessel recorded a huge squid attempting to make off with a fish they had caught.
One of the largest and most elusive denizens of the deep, the giant squid, which can grow up to 43ft long, is usually only seen when dead specimens wash up on beaches.

In a recent rare sighting however a group of fisherman on a Russian vessel managed to capture almost two minutes of footage showing a huge squid feasting on a large fish right next to their boat.

The video shows how the men initially tried to dissuade the squid from eating their catch using a pole before it finally lost interest and headed off in to deeper water.

https://www.rt.com/news/310634-giant-squid-russian-sailors/
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 12:37:25 am by Austin Heller » Report Spam   Logged

For a longer term solution to corporations buying our elections, see:  http://www.movetoamend.org

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Austin Heller
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 12:38:18 am »

Giant Squid alert: beast from deep freaks out Russian sailors (VIDEO)
Published time: 24 Jul, 2015 06:51Edited time: 25 Jul, 2015 11:31
Get short URL

© AFP Photo
Footage of an impressive giant squid filmed by Russian sailors has emerged online, with the animal attempting to steal the fishermen’s catch.
Report Spam   Logged

For a longer term solution to corporations buying our elections, see:  http://www.movetoamend.org
Austin Heller
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 12:38:55 am »

In the video, the squid is trying to eat a large fish, while the sailors prod the animal with a pole to drive it off.

The squid is about five times as big as the huge fish it tries to snatch. The massive creature makes a valiant attempt, but is eventually pushed away by the sailors.

It remains unclear which species of squid this one is. There are two: the giant squid which is long, and the colossal squid which is broader and even larger than its cousin.

READ MORE: Finding Nemo monster is real: Rare black seadevil caught on video

Not much is known about the species because only a few specimens have ever been caught or captured on video.

Giant and colossal squids are about 12 meters in length.

“Its eyes are supposedly the largest in the animal kingdom, as big as a basketball perhaps. I mean bigger than my head, which is amazing to think about. And that’s so they can see in the dark,” Leslie Schwerin, who produced a documentary about giant squids, told the Discovery Channel.
Report Spam   Logged

Zodiac
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 12:49:23 am »

I agree with the consensus: Colossal Squid. Still, that's something you don't see every day! That'a a lot of calamari!
Report Spam   Logged
PrisonerX

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 12:51:47 am »

They should have shot it. Keep it as a specimen or trophy, then charge people money to view it! Shame letting it go like that..
Report Spam   Logged
DecoNoir

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 12:54:21 am »

Was the squid seen in the Ukraine? If it was then it must have been volunteer fishermen that witnessed it.
Report Spam   Logged

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.
She-ra, Princess of Power

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 12:56:38 am »

Tasty deep fried in batter with garlic salt!
Report Spam   Logged

Openheimer

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 12:59:09 am »

Some time ago, a biologist said that these animals have have too much ammonia, and that therefore it would not be a good idea to eat these creatures.
Report Spam   Logged

"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." - the Bhagavad Gita
MinisterofInfo
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 01:01:37 am »

I'm surprised they didn't try to annex it.
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 01:04:14 am »

With the increase in body size comes an increase in brain size. If it is meant to be this big instead of being an overgrown garden variety squid then a bigger brain is probably part of its genetics. The biggest squid there is also happens to be the most elusive? I wonder just how smart they are.
Report Spam   Logged
War God of the Deep
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 01:07:14 am »

The ocean is an eerie place. So many creatures and depths unexplored. Another world...
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: