Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 10:41:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Did Humans Colonize the World by Boat?
Research suggests our ancestors traveled the oceans 70,000 years ago
http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jun/20-did-humans-colonize-the-world-by-boat

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

NASA announces discovery of a second Earth

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NASA announces discovery of a second Earth  (Read 442 times)
Vulcan
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 08:15:06 pm »

How long in hours is a day?
Well, let's start...

We know that there are 385 earth days on Kepler...

Kep = 385, Ear = 365...

385/365 = 1.055, so basically 1.055 Earth days on Kep is equal to 1 Earth day here...

So... multiply 1.055 by 24 (which is the standard earth day here)...

25.31 Earth hrs per day on Kepler... roughly.

Report Spam   Logged
Zod

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 08:26:58 pm »

That would mean K is spinning roughly twice as fast as Earth! Any aliens would probably be attached to the planet by umbillical chords for fear of being flung off the surface! 

If a day lasts 385 Earth days then on the opposite side of the planet the nights would be just as long.  Some very interesting life forms would exist there.
Report Spam   Logged
Lightning Strikes Twice

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 03:23:58 am »

Well yes, maybe the alien explorers are curious scientists as our astronomers and astronauts, beings who just want to learn and discover new things. And while the world from which they come can be organized (politically and socially) very differently, anyway it could be a bit dangerous if they are not very different from us. After all, governments control our world, not scientists. But I'm also crossing my fingers for peaceful aliens anyways
Report Spam   Logged
Hunt for Extraterrestial Lifeforms

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2015, 03:27:32 am »

Hmm, I'm not sure if I understand your reasoning here. Who is to say that we have the best "offense"? What if these beings are billions of years ahead of us in terms of technology and all that a nuclear bomb will do is make an otherwise peaceful species angry and retaliate with much more advanced weaponry? That would be a completely AWFUL idea.
Report Spam   Logged
Aristotle
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 03:29:19 am »

That is a very interesting point. Only a tiny, tiny percentage of people ever have desires to kill other people, yet governments can force otherwise peaceable people to kill one another. Look at the Second World War. Many of our fathers and grandfathers fought one another. Yet very, very few of them really wanted to do that. I don't totally distrust governments, but some of them have been, and are, evil.
Report Spam   Logged

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
- Aristotle
Baphomet
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2015, 03:31:02 am »

What makes you think a species which gets angry and has much more advanced weaponry would be otherwise peaceful? Dont worry, if it can bleed it can die.
Report Spam   Logged

"The sleep of reason brings forth monsters." - Goya
Sphere of Influence
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2015, 03:33:25 am »

In the wars you could be shot for being too terrified to fight desertion... or jailed for not fighting.... Ali got it right imo
Report Spam   Logged
Eclipse of the Sun
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2015, 03:35:30 am »

I totally agree with that. I don't want to get too personal about this, but my father who fought in WW2 said that the bravest men he ever met were the conscientious objectors who carried stretchers and so on but would not take up arms. They stood up against the government who tried to make them do things the didn't agree with.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: