Atlantis Online
April 20, 2024, 09:00:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ancient Crash, Epic Wave
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/14/healthscience/web.1114meteor.php?page=1

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Some people age 3 times faster than others

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some people age 3 times faster than others  (Read 661 times)
Aloysius
Superhero Member

« on: July 11, 2015, 04:11:47 am »

Some people age 3 times faster than others
Posted on Tuesday, 7 July, 2015

Not everyone appears to age at the same rate. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Steven Depolo
Scientists have discovered that a person's biological age and chronological age can be vastly different.
It would seem to stand to reason that two healthy 30-year-olds will exhibit similar physical and cognitive capabilities, yet according to new research it is possible for some people to age much faster than others regardless of how long they've been alive.

The discovery was made following a US study of 38-year-olds which looked at a number of health indicators including heart health, cholesterol levels and lung function.

While most of the group's biological and chronological ages turned out to be more or less the same, for a small number there were stark differences. Some of the volunteers appeared to have aged up to three times more in the same amount of time while others had barely even aged at all.

"We set out to measure ageing in these relatively young people," said lead scientist Dr Dan Belsky.

"Most studies of ageing look at seniors, but if we want to be able to prevent age-related disease, we’re going to have to start studying ageing in young people."

Several of the individuals who appeared to be ageing abnormally fast had reportedly experienced more difficulty undertaking physical tasks and had poorer balance and problem solving skills.

"Already, before midlife, individuals who were ageing more rapidly were less physically able, showed cognitive decline and brain ageing, self-reported worse health, and looked older," scientists wrote.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/some-people-age-three-times-faster-than-others-scientific-study-suggests/story-fneuzlbd-1227432440653
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

It's A Trap

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 04:34:45 am »

That is me, I am still 19 according to tons of people while I am actually 29. I look and feel 19.
Report Spam   Logged
Annunaki

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 04:38:31 am »

There are many factors that really caused our aging, genetic and environmental influences can cause much and have an impact on how quickly people age faster.
Report Spam   Logged
the Joker
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 04:53:41 am »

I think I may be one of the slower agers......don't look much different than at 21 and now 37.....I have stubble because if I clean shave I look like a boy. Only started getting grey after the birth of my first child, and I think that was more due to lack of sleep. Don't feel late 30's.....hope it continues Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Joanna
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 04:57:15 am »

Some people age three times faster than others, scientific study suggests

4 days ago July 07, 2015 3:23PM

Brad Pitt in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which follows the trials of a man who a

Brad Pitt in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which follows the trials of a man who ages in reverse. Source: News Limited

A DETAILED study of biological ageing has revealed that some individuals grow older three times faster than their birthdays suggest.

For others blessed with evergreen genes or environmental influences, time literally appears to stand still.

Among a group of 38-year-olds taking part in the research, biological age was found to range from 28 to 61.

US scientists drew up a panel of 18 measures to determine the speed at which a person is ageing.

They included tests of kidney, liver, lung and immune system function as well as assessments of metabolism, cholesterol, heart health, lung function, and the length of telomeres, which are protective caps on the ends of chromosomes.

Researchers also looked at the condition of tiny capillaries at the back of the eye, which provide a glimpse of the state of blood vessels in the brain.

“We set out to measure ageing in these relatively young people,” said lead scientist Dr Dan Belsky, from the Duke University Center for Ageing in North Carolina.

“Most studies of ageing look at seniors, but if we want to be able to prevent age-related disease, we’re going to have to start studying ageing in young people.”

The 871 participants had all been enrolled in the Dunedin Study, a major investigation tracking the health of about 1000 New Zealanders born in the town of Dunedin in 1972-73.

Rebel Wilson’s real age is in dispute. Picture: Kevin Winter/Getty Images

Rebel Wilson’s real age is in dispute. Picture: Kevin Winter/Getty Images Source: Getty Images
How old are you really, Belle Gibson? Picture: 60 Minutes

How old are you really, Belle Gibson? Picture: 60 Minutes Source: Facebook

Of the original group, 30 had died by the age of 38 due to serious diseases such as cancer, accidents, suicides and drug overdoses.

The 18 biomarkers were measured when the volunteers were 26, then again when they were 32, and finally at 38. Combining the measurements allowed scientists to determine each individual’s pace of ageing.

For most participants, chronological age and biological age kept at roughly the same pace.

But some were found to have bodies ageing as fast as three years per chronological year, while others aged at zero years per year — effectively, not getting older at all biologically.

Participants with more advanced biological ageing scored worse in tests of balance, co-ordination and solving unfamiliar problems typically given to people over 60.

In addition, biologically older individuals reported more difficulty undertaking physical tasks such as walking up stairs. And their faces seemed older, according to college students asked to rate their photos.

“Already, before midlife, individuals who were ageing more rapidly were less physically able, showed cognitive decline and brain ageing, self-reported worse health, and looked older,” the scientists wrote in their findings.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/some-people-age-three-times-faster-than-others-scientific-study-suggests/story-fneuzlbd-1227432440653
Report Spam   Logged
Equantez

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 05:00:26 am »

For me this just confirms that looking younger than your years is a good trait. Its something you should look for in a partner to get those 'fountain of youth' genes into your kids. IMO this is genetics, environmental conditions may play a minor role, a very minor role. The speed you age at is determined at conception before you even throw environmental conditions into the mix. I look young for my age, as my father did before me and his before him. My other half does, as does our son. Not so great when you are at school but lots of fun as your friends pass 25 Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Amy Lewton
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 05:05:34 am »

I'm 32 years old, but I feel like 64
Report Spam   Logged
Lawrence Fragg

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 05:08:23 am »

I look real young for my age. My secret - I don't eat fruit, I can't be consuming more than 2 portions of veg a day and I eat a lot of saturated fat especially in the form of diary products. I drink coffee by the galleon, I take no exercise other than walking to and from the bus stop as well as walking around the office. I appear to do everything on the no lists out there on the net. Yet why do I look nearly half my age?
Report Spam   Logged
Nemesis
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 05:10:07 am »

In a just world, evil people would age 100x faster than nice people.
Report Spam   Logged

"Behold I am become death, the destroyer of worlds"
DieChecker

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 05:11:48 am »

You got to look at your partner's parents and grandparents, to see if they have the "age slowly" gene. Regardless of if your new girlfriend is 110 pounds and super hot at 19.... if her mom is 275 pounds, with no hair and no teeth at 40, you may want to take a pass on marriage.
Report Spam   Logged
Wally Ashcroft

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 05:15:11 am »

Ain't that the truth! I could pass for 18 when I was 13 and now that I am *ahem*, round about, close to, somewhere near middle-aged people think I am younger. One of the few things I didn't mind getting from my mom.
Report Spam   Logged
Иван Удовиченко

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 01:39:40 am »

I've been doing factory work since I was seven. I've always looked older than my friends, and people usually over guess my age by about ten years. Hard life wears on you.
Report Spam   Logged
Dark Skies
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 01:41:35 am »

I've always said "it's not the years, it's the mileage." That seems to apply to people as well as cars. From my own personal experience I'd have to say that stress plays a big part in aging. I was perpetually boyish right into middle age. I had to grow a mustache in my 20's to keep from being mistaken for 16. At 40 I was in the best shape of my life, lean and fit and eager to exercise. But then in my 50's I was subjected to 5 years of intense, unrelenting stress and everything went south. Old injuries that I'd learned to live with suddenly became cronic.
Report Spam   Logged
Prentiss McKinnie

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 01:43:35 am »

My mom is in her fifties and just now got a few strands of grey hair. I am 38 and have no grey hair or wrinkles. It seems to run in our family. My 25 year old sister still gets mistaken as a teen. The problem is bad backs also run in the family. I have to bulging discs that make it so I have to use a cane. So while I look young I feel 70. Also early menopause runs in our family. It is hard to say if we run on the fast aging or slow aging side. Other than my back I don't feel old. Maybe some parts age fast and others slow in our family.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: