Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 04:29:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Update About Cuba Underwater Megalithic Research
http://www.timstouse.com/EarthHistory/Atlantis/bimini.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

US challenges Japan to a giant robot duel

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: US challenges Japan to a giant robot duel  (Read 215 times)
Openheimer

« on: July 10, 2015, 02:13:33 am »

US challenges Japan to a giant robot duel
Posted on Friday, 3 July, 2015

Megabot is an undeniably impressive piece of kit. Image Credit: YouTube / MegaBots Inc

Two giant mechanized robots could soon be duking it out in a showdown of epic proportions.
Towering at a height of 15ft and weighing in at 15,000 pounds, Megabot II is a huge mechanized paintball-firing combat walker that wouldn't look out of place in the movie Pacific Rim.

Its opponent, the Japanese-made Kurutas, is 3ft shorter and weighs significantly less but is more advanced and comes equipped with a BB bullet Gatling gun and a sophisticated targeting system.

This week the US inventors behind Megabot have thrown down the gauntlet in an attempt to organize a duel between the two machines as part of an ongoing effort to start a real-life robot fighting league.

"Born of the fires of American innovation, we've built the Megapot II, America's first fully functioning piloted robot," they said. "And because we're American, we've added really, really big guns."

"The mark II isn't the first fighting robot in the world, Kuratas beat us to it. We have a giant robot, you have a giant robot. You know what that means - we challenge you to a duel."

Requiring a team of two to operate, Megabot possesses two huge modular pneumatic cannons for arms and can let loose paint-filled cannonballs at speeds of up to 120mph.

"We're bringing video games and science fiction to life in the form of internally piloted giant fighting robots," said co-founder Gui Cavalcanti.

If Japan accepts the challenge then the fight will take place in approximately one year's time.

http://www.popsci.com/americans-build-giant-robot-challenge-japan-duel
Report Spam   Logged

"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." - the Bhagavad Gita

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Openheimer

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 02:16:37 am »

Americans Build Giant Robot, Challenge Japan To A Duel

Because of course they do
By Kelsey D. Atherton posted Jul 1st, 2015 at 6:13pm

Megabot Fires Paintballs

Megabot Fires Paintballs

Screenshot by author, from YouTube

There are real, serious, military technology developments happening in the Pacific. This is not about that. This is about some dudes who built a giant robot for paintball battles because they could, and then challenged a giant Japanese robot to a giant robot duel. Giant robots.

Watch the challenge from the Megabot crew to Japan’s Suidobashi Heavy Industry:

Every part of this feels like a viral marketing campaign for, like, a Pacific Rim sequel. Despite an appearance at New York Comic-Con in 2014, is doesn’t appear that Megabot is marketing anything except the idea of modern, giant robot battles itself. They want to create a league for robot duels, but ones with a real sense of danger: humans control the machines from cockpits inside, rather than remotely piloting them from safety elsewhere. They are, in essence, real life mecha.

It’s an idea with mechanical legs, but perhaps limited ones. A Kickstarter campaign by MegaBots ended unsuccessfully last November, raising less than four percent of the $1.8 million project goal.

In the meantime it looks like the robot-makers are turning to hopes of an international exhibition match to jumpstart their battles. The above video is filled with footage of an apparently working Megabot, and it comes with Japanese subtitles, challenging Suidobashi Heavy Industry’s Kuratas robot to a duel to be held next year.

When it happens, we’ll see if the Megabot dream of pay-per-view robot battles is within each, or if they’re just hopelessly trying to punch above their weight.

http://www.popsci.com/we-could-have-40-exabytes-genetic-data-next-decade
Report Spam   Logged

"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." - the Bhagavad Gita
Sphere of Influence
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 02:42:43 am »

Prediction: The Japanese one will transform a bit, be flashy, and do all these other cool, showoff things. The American one will blow it away in one shot. USA! USA! USA!
Report Spam   Logged
She-ra, Princess of Power

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 02:44:32 am »

Awesome! Please let it be real!
Report Spam   Logged

Silver Surfer

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 02:45:59 am »

America beat Japan in a robot off... please, they wouldn't stand a chance.
Report Spam   Logged
Paradox
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 02:47:27 am »

At the risk of simultaneously sounding like a kook AND a spoil sport, this whole USA v Asia fighting huge robots is just asking for trouble.
Report Spam   Logged
Xomon

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 02:49:52 am »

If it is like US cars, it will break apart for no apparent reason, and the Jap one, will go on forever.
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 02:51:36 am »

Toys for "adults"
Report Spam   Logged
Zalmoxis

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 02:53:19 am »

Are you kidding? That American bot looks like it will take a serious beating, the Japanese one looks like it's a bit flimsy. To be fair I don't think the Japanese knew they were going to be challenged to a fight. At any rate, if team Japan accepts the challenge both teams have a year to negotiate fire power and armor specs, agree on scoring rules and modify their bots as necessary. If they do a pay per view event with maybe some regular battle bot preliminary bouts this could be a huge success and the begging of a brand new gladiatorial sport. One can hope.
Report Spam   Logged
Blondie

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 02:54:28 am »

Hmmm, I'm all for an American bot taking on a Japanese bot, but the Japanese have been fascinated with this a bit longer I think. I would be like pitting the Power Rangers against Super Sentai. I would still love to see this battle, it reminds me of Real Steel or Big Hero 6.
Report Spam   Logged
Bythia Lyon

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 02:55:51 am »

I think the Japanese bot, is a generation ahead. The US bot looks like something Japan had 5 years go that shot tennis balls.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: