Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 12:48:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Site provides evidence for ancient comet explosion
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/nationworld/story/173177.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Mysterious beast prowls Plymouth suburbs

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mysterious beast prowls Plymouth suburbs  (Read 366 times)
Netherworld
Superhero Member

« on: July 09, 2015, 02:15:09 am »

Mysterious beast prowls Plymouth suburbs
Posted on Friday, 3 July, 2015

Big cats have been reported in Britain's countryside for years. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Rute Martins

An animal that resembles a large predatory cat has been seen stalking a quiet neighborhood in England.
The idea that there could be a population of large cats roaming the British countryside is certainly nothing new. The phenomenon, which has spawned numerous legends over the years, has been investigated several times but to date no conclusive explanation has ever been found.

Some of the sightings are believed to have been the result of big cat owners releasing their animals in to the wild after the introduction of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act in 1976, but with reports of large cats continuing well in to the 21st century it seems unlikely that this could explain all of them.

This latest sighting, which was reported by 59-year-old office worker Carole Desforges, appears to be of another exotic species of cat such as a puma, lynx or leopard.

Mystery ‘beast’ spotted on the outskirts of Plymouth http://t.co/NHTh3JYsNh pic.twitter.com/tYHrlATlPT
    — The Telegraph (@Telegraph) July 3, 2015

"I was in the living room and saw something blurry outside through the living room door," said Desforges. "I grabbed my phone and took a picture."

"I guess it remains a mystery. I enjoy the speculation about it all. "

Her sighting is one of 200 reported in the Devon and Cornwall region over the last 13 years.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/11714912/Mystery-beast-spotted-roaming-Plymouth-suburbs.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Netherworld
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 02:18:19 am »

Mystery ‘beast’ spotted roaming Plymouth suburbs
A ‘big cat’ has been spotted prowling the Plymouth suburbs with locals wondering what the ‘mystery animal’ could be

A picture of mystery animal taken by Carole Desforges in the garden of her home on the outskirts of Plymouth, Devon
A picture of mystery animal taken by Carole Desforges in the garden of her home on the outskirts of Plymouth, Devon Photo: SWNS Group

By Agency

10:57PM BST 02 Jul 2015

Comments105 Comments

A mystery animal has been spotted prowling in the garden of a house on the outskirts of Plymouth.

Office worker Carole Desforges saw the animal from her living room and managed to get a few snaps of it through the window before it ran off.

Carole, 59, first thought it was just a fox - but having reviewed her pictures she is now not so sure.

• Big cats in Britain: in pictures
• Wild lynx to return to Britain after 1,300 years

Some friends have suggested it could be a puma, lynx, leopard - or an unknown beast of Plymouth.

But Carole said: " I guess it remains a mystery. I enjoy the speculation about it all.

"I don't know what it is, but people have been suggesting it could be some kind of big cat.

"A puma or a lynx have both been mentioned. I don't know what it is, but I have never seen anything like it before.

"I was in the living room and saw something blurry outside through the living room door.

"I grabbed my phone and took a picture. I originally thought it was a fox but since I shared the photo, people have been having all sorts of ideas."

Her son Dave Desforges added: "Mum might think it's a fox, but I am not convinced."

Latest figures show there have been an estimated 200 big cat sightings in Devon and Cornwall over the last 13 years - which also included a tiger.
Report Spam   Logged
Netherworld
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 02:18:42 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Netherworld
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 02:19:00 am »

A wild lynx

The tiger was said to have been spotted in Exmouth, Devon, with other callers reported big cats in their house.

A puma was spotted in Efford by a Plymouth man who called to report it to police.

The number of calls, which hit 220, peaked in 2001 when there were 30 in a year.

Four people have also reported to the emergency services that they believe their livestock could have been killed by big cats thanks to claw marks on the corpses.

Not all sightings are reported to police, with some going straight to big cat groups.

Danny Bamping of the British Big Cat Society, who said: "In Britain 75 per cent of the reports are of big black cats, but the unanswered question is what they are.

"There's no doubt in my mind that there could be black leopards, but possibly a hybrid of a wild and domesticated cat."
Report Spam   Logged
Astra

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 02:24:05 am »

Looks very much like a savannah cat. See this story about a similar cat found roaming the streets of Detroit, USA. http://doubtfulnews.com/2013/08/exotic-cat-reported-in-detroit-neighborhood/
Report Spam   Logged
Bythia Lyon

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 02:26:11 am »

It's so freaking blurry, how can you make that determination? Blurry as hell, no reliable way to make a size estimate, so ask yourself which is more likely - house cat or big cat?
Report Spam   Logged
DieChecker

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 02:31:12 am »

I don't think we can say how big a bunch of weeds are unless the lady goes out and puts a ruler next to those weeds. Also this appears to me that she may have taken this picture on maximum zoom, so that the perspective between the cat, fence and stuff in the foreground is messed up. (Flattened) Making the cat appear larger then perspective would normally lead someone to believe. assuming the perspective is messed up from maximumized zoom, and assuming that the plank fence that outlines the cat is normal in scale, with about 18 inches between the planks, or maybe two feet between them.
Report Spam   Logged
Thorvir Hrothgaard

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 02:35:49 am »

Try using that small bit of vegetation near its head as scale. It's many small weeds grouped up like a bush. It appears to be about a foot tall in its highest point and about two feet long.
Report Spam   Logged
Xomon

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 02:37:29 am »

Interesting, considering we have the very same problem here in the United States in places we are TOLD there should be NO large cats. I guess this photo spits is the eye of academics practicing bad Arm-chair Science. As Dr. Ian Malcolm said, “Nature will find a way.”
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: