Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 01:41:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Towering Ancient Tsunami Devastated the Mediterranean
http://www.livescience.com/environment/061130_ancient_tsunami.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Can anyone account for Plato's detailed descriptions of Atlantis & Athens?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone account for Plato's detailed descriptions of Atlantis & Athens?  (Read 2343 times)
Rennes-le-Château
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2015, 01:28:35 am »

And this one pretty much sums up his philosophy (again, these are his quotes, not mine:

''Platos Atlantis & Saint Johns Revelation are the Same Story''

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,33760.60.html

Well! You two have gone back and forth on this topic, while introducing some very interesting, possible connection between the New Testament's Revelation and Atlantis. But none has considered that the Revelation has to do with the distant future at the time of writing (90 AD approximately) by most Christian critics. Other experts interpret the revelation as relating to the period of writing and before, meaning that John was referring to Rome and one of its cruel emperors; Nero by some. And the Revelation was written as a sort of encouragement and inspirational manuscript for the early Christians under persecution. Now, the only way that Plato's Atlantis tale can be related to the Revelation is only if there is a sure indication and belief that Atlantis is an Empire of the future, and not the past as Plato put it. Plato just gave us a little white lie with placing Atlantis in the past. Why? God of course! If one believes that Revelation is all about future prophecy about our current times, and the return of Jesus and the end of times, as we know them, then there is more than meets the eye. If this hypothesis is plausible, that Revelation is from God, and that Plato's Atlantis is connected with it, then Plato must also have been inspired by Devine dispensation. Then it follows that Atlantis is all about a tale of the future... our times!

I myself have entertained this same notion, being, initially, attracted by the same passages regarding the fall of Babylon the Harlot. However, I went much further, and by understanding Plato completely, not just the dialogues mentioning Atlantis, I was able to make certain other connections. I sort have the "puzzle" half finished.

If you two have anything else to add to this, I'm willing to use my "wild" imagination and take the myth one level up. We might as well use our imagination, as no one has yet found any "facts' and sound evidence in first, assuring whether Atlantis is a myth or not, and second, just where and when. It seems that Atlantis has been speculated to have existed in almost every place on earth, and at various time periods. One of you two now speculates that Atlantis is not just what Plato said it was, a very large Island Continent, but the whole earth. Of all the wild goose chases that have gone down in the past, I guess ours cannot be any worst. And since some have, and are still speculating that Atlantis is all about Aliens from other worlds, we might as well go searching for it in the "Coming Kingdom of God."  Personally, I can make that connection plausible, also through the Bible. But I like it to make it clear that I'm not a religious zealot, but just another modern day admirer and wishful disciple of Socrates/Plato.

There are other threads, but I've made my point. So you see, to the extent he is interested in Atlantis, it is to corroborate his religious beliefs. Also, it is no exaggeration on my point to say that he believes Plato was possessed of some psychic visions, was "divinely inspired" and was sharing the visions of John the Revelator, a vision of the future as opposed to writing about a real place. He's putting Plato on trial, but has absolutely no problem with all the many fantastic tales in the Bible, in fact he believes Greek myth is talking about the Bible, too, although the stories have only superficial comparisons. He has no idea what he is talking about. Anyone who does not share these strange beliefs sooner or later gets his array of juvenile insults. You're wasting your time with him.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:29:20 am by Rennes-le-Château » Report Spam   Logged
senator Bam

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2015, 07:29:15 pm »

Thank-you Rennes for taking the time and effort to let me know the info about his theory. I did not know that his Atlantis theory was that Atlantis is prophecy/vision about our times (like Revelation/Apocalypse) (i haven't been able to browse all the forums and threads/topics of this forum). There are some possible connections since biblical prophecy is about all of world history from beginning to end, and details like that the beast has 10 horns, and there are things about the "beast" that persist/cover/reoccur through world history. 
You both make valid point about bible and "Plato", and i actually beleive both are historically true, though one is going to be more true than the other depending on which "God" is true (hence 9000 years is not totally "literally" true). My own approach to all early sources like "Plato", "Nennius", Herodotus, Bible etc is to objectively look to see if there is (or is not) evidence that is true (or is not true), and usually i find they are true contrary to orthodox academics/critics/sceptics assertions. We have found Atlantis city/island; we found Joseph and Moses.
Report Spam   Logged
Hermocrates

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2015, 07:02:45 pm »

Thank-you Rennes for taking the time and effort to let me know the info about his theory. I did not know that his Atlantis theory was that Atlantis is prophecy/vision about our times (like Revelation/Apocalypse) (i haven't been able to browse all the forums and threads/topics of this forum). There are some possible connections since biblical prophecy is about all of world history from beginning to end, and details like that the beast has 10 horns, and there are things about the "beast" that persist/cover/reoccur through world history. 
You both make valid point about bible and "Plato", and i actually beleive both are historically true, though one is going to be more true than the other depending on which "God" is true (hence 9000 years is not totally "literally" true). My own approach to all early sources like "Plato", "Nennius", Herodotus, Bible etc is to objectively look to see if there is (or is not) evidence that is true (or is not true), and usually i find they are true contrary to orthodox academics/critics/sceptics assertions. We have found Atlantis city/island; we found Joseph and Moses.

Sean,

See what kind of idiots are lurking around this site? That one passing out this nonsense about me is just another that cannot even read. I classified him as a talking parrot, with a very limited vocabulary. He barely knows who Socrates is. This parrot, a dumb one at that, even after I spelled it out for him, cannot even see that I was being sarcastic with one of those two posters that was taking Atlantic out into space, with aliens and all that. That is why I stated that if this search was going to be such a wild goose chase, why not bring in the Bible prophecies into the picture, as the prophecies would be more plausible than space aliens. I did not start the thread, someone else brought in the possibility of a connection between the Bible and Atlantis. You can see for yourself, if you want to waste some time. Anyway, I think that even on the History channel, "In Search of Aliens": the host, Giorgio A. Tsoukalos, did a special on the search for Atlantis, and at the end of the episode put forth a possible clue for Atlantis. This clue was that Atlantis could have been a giant alien spaceship, which flew away, and that is why we cannot find Atlantis. Anyway, you can do what you want with these two idiots, Nikas and this one slandering me.   
Report Spam   Logged
Rennes-le-Château
Superhero Member

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2015, 09:55:37 pm »

See what kind of idiots are lurking around this site? That one passing out this nonsense about me is just another that cannot even read. I classified him as a talking parrot, with a very limited vocabulary. He barely knows who Socrates is. This parrot, a dumb one at that, even after I spelled it out for him, cannot even see that I was being sarcastic with one of those two posters that was taking Atlantic out into space, with aliens and all that. That is why I stated that if this search was going to be such a wild goose chase, why not bring in the Bible prophecies into the picture, as the prophecies would be more plausible than space aliens. I did not start the thread, someone else brought in the possibility of a connection between the Bible and Atlantis.

Oh, Hermaphrodite, was that nice?  Huh

My, my, for a person who said he would never reply to another post by me, you certainly can't seem to stop talking about me, my thin-skinned little friend. Cheesy

All the insults in the world cannot compensate for the fact that you haven't done the work and are a most IMPOTENT DEBATOR.  You don't know what you are talking about. You don't know Plato (I'm shocked you even heard of Socrates yourself), haven't researched Atlantis and came here simply to garner support for your lame "Plato shares the same visions of John the Revelator" claim. 

The claim was  cited in all your early posts, most of which were in religious topics, though you back away from it now.
The more you converse, the more people see what a thick-headed goon you are. You have become the laughingstock of this forum and most people don't even respond to you anymore.

I'll eagerly await your reply (which will no doubt be directed to someone else, since you are too much of a coward to take me on directly after your numerous humiliations.  Wink )

By the way, since the insane asylum Hermaphrodite is in apparently has extra computer hours on Sundays, expect to hear twice as much from him tomorrow. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 10:10:42 pm by Rennes-le-Château » Report Spam   Logged
Rennes-le-Château
Superhero Member

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2015, 10:06:21 pm »

Sean, he actually does not have an Atlantis theory. He does not believe in Atlantis and has said as much in his early posts. By debating others with his weird mix of theology, skepticism and name-calling, he tries to coerce others to change the error of their ways and buy into his philosophy, which again is that:

1. Plato was clairvoyant and, like John the Revelator, was writing about the future, not the past. Apparently, Plato was also a devout Christian, four hundred years before the religion was even invented.
2. Atlantis has to be exactly where the traditional dialogs set it in or else it didn't exist.
3. Anyone who does not buy into this warped view is either stupid or can't read (see above ^).  He does, of course, reserve the right to back away from his religious beliefs when the situation suits him (namely, when he is getting his fundamentalist a@@ handed to him in a debate).

I, too, believe Revelations is an interesting topic, I just don't believe it has anything to do with Atlantis.
Report Spam   Logged
imap143

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2015, 01:25:23 pm »

Thank you guys
Report Spam   Logged

The Restaurant Network, The place where restaurants and suppliers connect. Free and easy to access to find good restaurants around the world.

Restaurant Inventory Management
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: