Atlantis Online
March 19, 2024, 03:55:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hunt for Lost City of Atlantis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3227295.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Ice Free Antarctica Until 3,000 B.C.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ice Free Antarctica Until 3,000 B.C.  (Read 2556 times)
Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2010, 11:27:55 pm »

Qoais,

I have read your debates with Greg Little, Jim Allen and, simply put, they weren't friendly ones.  They go very much like this one has, a lot of berating on your part, the other party takes it personally, then we don't here from them again. You aren't a believer in Atlantis, I get that.  But surely there is a better way to make your points other than to make things personal (as you constantly do).  Essan, for instance, isn't a believer either, but you won't catch him making character attacks on people he doesn't agree with, he presents his facts, then takes things in stride.  You aren't the same person you were when you started on these forums, you've actually gotten a bit mean-spirited.

I remember the last conversation you had with Bianca, that was when she left.  I don't blame you entirely for that, since Bianca always had a bit of a temper, but, as the old saying goes, it does take two to tango.

Finally, you aren't going to convince many people to believe as you do.  Some of us are simply in it for "the quest."  We don't need to have all the answers now, immediately, for us to believe that Atlantis did or didn't exist. It is a mystery that will perhaps never be solved in any of our lifetimes, we are simply looking for "clues."  I am fairly certain that Atlantis did exist, however I am not looking for the same Atlantis as the rest of you.  I am looking for a Neolithic ocean-spanning culture that made war in the Med between 10,000 bc and 2,000 bc.  I am not looking for a high tech culture with spaceships.  I imagine that would be rather unremarkable for some of you, however, I am fairly certain that my Atlantis existed, I am simply looking for it's home base, which should resemble Plato's capital city.

And now, getting to this:

It's hard to find good relevant information on Atlantis, there is so much New Age/channeling stuff on Atlantis.  Strictly speaking, I try to stay away from the mystics and stay with science.

So really, you don't believe in science then?

I do believe in science, however, I have also found that the science dealing with archaeology and even climatology tends to be agenda-driven, and I really don't believe that they know as much about the world as they pretend to. In any event, all it takes is for one unexpected discovery to realign what we think we know of science.  It's not perfect, nor should we place as much faith in it as you apparently do.  Any profession run by human beings is bound to have some errors. You tend to forget that.

You mean the ones still pretending Atlantis exists, so they can make money from it?
I am a researcher too.  I don't dive, I don't crawl around in caves, but I search out the truth.  But I guess the truth does hurt, in more ways than one. 

The only one it seems to be hurting is you, who seem to be a bit embittered by this search.  Incidentally, I haven't made a dime from Atlantis research, and yet I imagine I have put more time into studying this topic than most here. 

It did exist.  There was a Neolithic invasion from the Atlantic into the Med at exactly the time that Plato set Atlantis in and flints and arrowheads have been found in abundance dating back to that time, depicting a widespread war throughout the area.  The only questions are where these people came from and  who exactly the enemies were.  It is depicted in the book, "Plato Prehistorian" in great detail, which I highly recommend to anyone in search of Plato's Atlantis, and not Edgar Cayce's. 

As I said, a little skepticism is a healthy thing, but most skeptics I have come across (yourself, Erick Wright, as well) get so wrapped up in your agenda, that it becomes less about the truth than about being "right." 

Report Spam   Logged

"This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits called the Pillars of Heracles; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together..."
Essan

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2010, 02:18:06 pm »

Antarctica didn't need to be ice free for long, only for a period warm enough for a civilization to flourish there.

An ice free coastal strip does not mean a temperate climate.  And why would humans go there?  No vegetation. No soil.  No trees.  Dark for half the year .  Still, maybe that's why those who moved there then decided to invade the Med?  Seriously, it's wholly illogically to presume that even if West Antarctica was ice free people would move there and develop a civilisation they did not previously have.

The history of the British Isles is about two thousand years old.

10,000 years.  We were building stone circles over 5,000 years ago.
Report Spam   Logged

Andy
Levia Komis
Superhero Member

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2010, 04:21:05 pm »

Antarctic Mountains Prove Pole Shift?
March 9th, 2009 by Rob | Posted under Pole Shift.

I’ve been puzzled by this for a long time. On the one hand Charles Hapgood (endorsed by Einstein) gave us the crustal displacement theory (aka pole shift), and found some ancient maps that showed an Antarctica without ice. On the other hand, orthodox science tells us there is plenty of evidence (such as ice cores) that tell us the ice has been there a very long time. And that the trees found buried there were from millions of years ago.

Now we have this from Discover magazine, regarding a recently discovered mountain range deep beneath the ice:

…researchers expected to see a plateau formation, indicating that the peaks had been worn down over millennia. Instead, says researcher Robin Bell: “They are incredibly rough mountains — they look like alligators’ teeth”.

“The surprising thing was that not only is this mountain range the size of the Alps, but it looks quite similar to the (European) Alps, with high peaks and valleys,” said Fausto Ferraccioli, a geophysicist at the British Antarctic Survey…. He told Reuters that the mountains would probably have been ground down almost flat if the ice sheet had formed slowly. But the presence of jagged peaks might mean the ice formed quickly, burying a landscape under up to 4 km (2.5 miles) of ice . Researchers say that understanding the behavior of polar ice sheets is crucial to scientists trying to predict the impacts of global warming.

Another mystery is the age of the mountains. Mountain ranges like the Alps and the Himalayas formed when continental plates collided, but this range sits in the middle of an ancient chunk of crust, where geologists had thought there had been no major tectonic activity for at least 540 million years…. If the range is indeed at least 540 million years old, then it is remarkably well preserved for its age. Another possibility is that the Gamburtsevs formed much more recently, as a result of volcanic activity. But preliminary results from the expedition don’t show the large magnetic anomalies that would typically be expected when flying over volcanic terrain, says Ferraccioli

Is this evidence for a pole shift?

http://survive2012.com/news/2009/03/antarctic-mountains-prove-pole-shift.html
Report Spam   Logged
Levia Komis
Superhero Member

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2010, 04:28:31 pm »

Armed With Data, Scientists Still Mystified by Antarctica’s Hidden Mountains

Antarctica plane

Antarctic researchers have succeeded in mapping a mountain range that is as tall and impressive as the Alps and yet invisible to the naked eye, since the entire range is hidden beneath miles of ice. The international expedition (which 80beats covered when it set off in October) used radar, gravity sensors, and other instruments mounted on airplanes to chart the contours of the mighty Gamburtsev mountains, but say the results mostly revealed new mysteries. For example, researchers expected to see a plateau formation, indicating that the peaks had been worn down over millennia. Instead, says researcher Robin Bell: “They are incredibly rough mountains — they look like alligators’ teeth” [Nature News].

“The surprising thing was that not only is this mountain range the size of the Alps, but it looks quite similar to the (European) Alps, with high peaks and valleys,” said Fausto Ferraccioli, a geophysicist at the British Antarctic Survey…. He told Reuters that the mountains would probably have been ground down almost flat if the ice sheet had formed slowly. But the presence of jagged peaks might mean the ice formed quickly, burying a landscape under up to 4 km (2.5 miles) of ice [Reuters]. Researchers say that understanding the behavior of polar ice sheets is crucial to scientists trying to predict the impacts of global warming.

Another mystery is the age of the mountains. Mountain ranges like the Alps and the Himalayas formed when continental plates collided, but this range sits in the middle of an ancient chunk of crust, where geologists had thought there had been no major tectonic activity for at least 540 million years…. If the range is indeed at least 540 million years old, then it is remarkably well preserved for its age. Another possibility is that the Gamburtsevs formed much more recently, as a result of volcanic activity. But preliminary results from the expedition don’t show the large magnetic anomalies that would typically be expected when flying over volcanic terrain, says Ferraccioli [Nature News].

To conduct the study, researchers flew aircraft 75,000 miles over six weeks braving average temperatures of -30 Celsius mapping the ancient Gamburtsev range [Telegraph].

Related Content:
80beats: Expedition Sets Off for Antarctic Mountains That “Shouldn’t Be There”
80beats: Antarctic Ice Melt Would Shift Earth’s Axis, Further Changing Sea Level
80beats: Antarctica Is Definitely Feeling the Heat From Global Warming
DISCOVER: The Ground Zero of Climate Change explains the threat to Antarctica’s Whillans Ice Stream

Image: Robin Bell / Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2009/02/24/armed-with-data-scientists-still-mystified-by-antarcticas-hidden-mountains/
Report Spam   Logged
nikas
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2015, 08:33:17 pm »

deleted!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: