Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 05:11:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hunt for Lost City of Atlantis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3227295.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Apes may be close to being able to speak

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apes may be close to being able to speak  (Read 285 times)
Shiloh

« on: August 16, 2015, 08:54:57 pm »

Apes may be close to being able to speak
Posted on Saturday, 15 August, 2015

How close are other primates to mimicking human speech ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.6 Kabir

Scientists believe that apes may be closer to human-like speech than we have given them credit for.
It may sound like something from 'Planet of the Apes' but according to researchers who have worked extensively alongside a 40-year-old gorilla named Koko, the ability to produce controlled vocalizations like a human is something that primates may not be far from being able to achieve.

Postdoctoral researcher Marcus Perlman spent many years observing Koko's behavior, in particular her ability to exercise control over her vocalizations and breathing when interacting with humans.

Examples of this include blowing in to her hand when she wants a treat, breathing on a glass to indicate that she wants a clean one and even grunting while playing with a toy phone.

"She doesn't produce a pretty, periodic sound when she performs these behaviors, like we do when we speak," he said. "But she can control her larynx enough to produce a controlled grunting sound."

Perlman believes that Koko's behavior indicates that some of the abilities that enabled the evolution of speech in humans are also present in other primates.

"Koko bridges a gap," he said. "She shows the potential under the right environmental conditions for apes to develop quite a bit of flexible control over their vocal tract. "

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2015/08/13/Study-Apes-may-not-be-that-far-away-from-talking/4091439498026/?spt=rln&or=5
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Shiloh

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 08:55:42 pm »

Study: Apes may not be that far away from talking
Koko, a 40-year-old gorilla, sometimes makes a series of unintelligible grunts while pretending to talk on a toy phone.
By Brooks Hays   |   Aug. 13, 2015 at 5:31 PM

Report Spam   Logged
Shiloh

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 08:57:16 pm »

MADISON, Wis., Aug. 13 (UPI) -- Ever since the 1940s, when a couple attempting to raise a pair of chimpanzees like children failed to impart the ability of speech, scientists have assumed language to be a uniquely human evolutionary adaptation.

The thinking went that apes have little to no control over vocalizations and breathing-related behaviors. What sounds they do make, researchers posited, are largely involuntary -- a reflexive reaction to their environment.

But a new study by Marcus Perlman, now a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Wisconsin, suggests apes aren't as far removed from the ability to speak as scientists think.

For several years, Perlman studied at the Gorilla Foundation in California. Much of his time was spent observing Koko, the 40-year-old gorilla who famously learned sign language and has spent her life interacting with humans.

While working at the foundation, Perlman noticed Koko seemed to have more control over her breathing and vocal chords than one would expect.

In reviewing hours and hours of footage of Koko's vocalizations and sociable behaviors, Perlman and his research partner Nathaniel Clark, of the University of California, Santa Cruz, identified nine different, voluntary behaviors requiring Koko to exercise control over her vocalization and breathing.

When Koko wants a treat, she blows into her hand. She can also blow her nose and play wind instruments. When Koko wants a clean glass, she breathes heavily on the crystal before wiping it off. And, rather playfully, she sometimes makes a series of unintelligible grunts while pretending to talk on a toy phone.
Report Spam   Logged
Shiloh

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 08:57:50 pm »

"She doesn't produce a pretty, periodic sound when she performs these behaviors, like we do when we speak," Perlman said. "But she can control her larynx enough to produce a controlled grunting sound."

Koko also coughs on command, which requires her to shut her larynx.

"The motivation for the behaviors varies," Perlman explained. "She often looks like she plays her wind instruments for her own amusement, but she tends to do the cough at the request of Penny and Ron."

Perlman, whose observations are detailed in the journal Animal Cognition, says Koko is proof some of the abilities that enabled speech to evolve in humans were present in apes.

Her behaviors aren't proof of her exceptionality, just her potential given the right set of circumstances -- in this case 40 years of immersion in a mostly human world.

"Koko bridges a gap," Perlman says. "She shows the potential under the right environmental conditions for apes to develop quite a bit of flexible control over their vocal tract. It's not as fine as human control, but it is certainly control."
Report Spam   Logged
Shiloh

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 08:58:10 pm »

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2015/08/13/Study-Apes-may-not-be-that-far-away-from-talking/4091439498026/?spt=rln&or=5
Report Spam   Logged
Aberration of Pure Evil
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 01:34:46 am »

I love Koko, such an amazing creature. Apes lack vocal chords as we all know, grunts and breathing does not equal speech and is very far from talking. I would love to have a conversation with Koko, but that would involve me learning sign language, not Koko learning to speak.
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 01:37:02 am »

I followed Koko hoping it would make general public more aware just because creatures have different forms of communications it doesn't make them less consciously aware beings with emotion. The grey parrot in another study had a language advantage but even it was accused of just imitation and training when it created its own words and crude sentences. When I was in elementary school when bible study was still permitted. I had the same teacher say, animals have no souls or feelings. They are instinctive in reactions, they can only mimic or be trained. I said Aren't you just training people to mistreat animals?
Report Spam   Logged
nativechick1996

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 01:39:06 am »

Will they still be at zoos?
Report Spam   Logged
Thanato

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 01:40:25 am »

I'm sure, dominant species or race will always keep zoos or even reservations for the less intellectual races or species. Even ants herd their aphids, does make the aphid less deserving of a peaceful coexistence. Man and other species should be in a mutual coexistence that has a respect for even the lesser ones. Sadly there's a very small line between reckless exploitation and peaceful respect and coexistence. Just saying we as the dominant should be good benefactors to the lesser ones.
Report Spam   Logged
Thanato

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 01:41:23 am »

His first words will be: "GET YOUR STINKING HANDS OFF ME, YOU DAMNED DIRTY HUMANS!"
Report Spam   Logged
Kong1933

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 01:42:40 am »

The Human Chimp, or Humanzee...fascinating story
Report Spam   Logged
Kong1933

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 01:43:07 am »

More
Report Spam   Logged
nativechick1996

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 01:36:10 am »

Animal researchers perform a lot worse medical experiments then that, and Koko and offspring are studies. I wonder more Why it hasn't been done than supporting it. Most vocal cord augmentation and implants are not painful and the ones frustrated from lacking anatomy and trying perform the impossible seems less cruel to me. I'm weird because I wouldn't support it unless ape handsigned it wanted to do something to help it talk! Same as they do for us human patients.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: