Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 12:53:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Underwater caves off Yucatan yield three old skeletons—remains date to 11,000 B.C.
http://www.edgarcayce.org/am/11,000b.c.yucata.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Jack The Ripper In America. Did Jack The Ripper Visit The United States?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jack The Ripper In America. Did Jack The Ripper Visit The United States?  (Read 4116 times)
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2015, 05:22:13 pm »

Astonishingly, in 1927…forty years later, a much older Kelly voluntarily returns to the insane asylum and began to chronicle his travels. A typed copy of Kelly’s confession letter survives in the National Archives, and Norris is the first detective to read it. In the letter, Kelly describes having “problems dealing with society“, and being “overtaken with feelings of envy, jealousy, and malice“. Kelly states, “the thing has been hard because of all kinds of ‘skank’” (a term he uses to refers to women of low moral character) and “I’ve been on the warpath since I left Broadmoor Asylum.” Also in his letter, he admits to traveling to London after his escape, and more interestingly he tells of traveling to the United States and arriving in New York conveniently before the Carrie Brown murder. He was by profession, a trained upholsterer, and would have known quiet a bit about knives and how to use them effectively for the purpose of murder. Kelly also mentioned traveling to many cities in the US before returning to England and admitted that he came to the US many times over a period of 40 years.
Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2015, 05:22:54 pm »

First Norris wanted to check to make sure that Kelly’s confession matched up with actual travel records of the day. In Britain’s National Maritime Museum, they kept track of every ship that came to the United States. Kelly said he traveled to America aboard an Anglo-German steamer named the Zaandam that sailed from Rotterdam to New York. At the museum, Norris not only confirmed the ship existed, but that it sailed from Rotterdam to New York on October 7, 1890—two years after the last Ripper murder in London (11/88) and months before the April 23, 1891 murder of Carrie Brown in New York. You might be thinking, “How does a ‘wanted man’ get into the United States without detection?” Professor Dan Citrum is an expert in 19th-century immigration and explains how easily it could have been done. Remember this was before Ellis Island was established, so getting in and out of the country was very easy. No drivers licenses, no passports, and no photo id whatsoever. Many people back then, came to this country to start over, and remake themselves and get lost in the huge crowds of New York city. In his confession, Kelly admits to changing his name once his ship arrives to ‘John Miller‘, one of the most common names both then and now. Kelly used his new name like a disguise to blend in and escape police scrutiny.
Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2015, 05:23:22 pm »

Knowing from experience that many serial killers travel extensively, to avoid detection, Detective Norris plots the cities Kelly claims to have visited against the murders written about in the newspapers. He begins to see similarities in Ripper-like murders committed in other cities: New York NY, Trenton, NJ, Galveston, TX, New Orleans, LA, Philadelphia, PA, Baltimore, MD, Jackson, CA, San Francisco, CA, Denver, CO. Each of these murders occurred during the time that Kelly, thorough his confession letter, said he was in that city. Even the city newspapers asked the same question “Is this the work of Jack the Ripper” and “Is this the fiend of Whitechapel?” and “Has Jack the Ripper Invaded Texas at Last“. Detective Norris identified twelve murders across five states in just four years…and remember, Kelly was gone for forty years…you can do the math. To read an amazing collection of news reports, please visit Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2015, 05:24:07 pm »

Using a asylum photo of Kelly provided by the National Archives, he was able to see what Kelly looked like at age 67. Norris then contacted Steve Mancusi, a NYPD senior forensic artist who has helped solve the most difficult cases for the last 30 years. He wanted Mancusi to use forensic imaging technology normally used for age-progression in missing child cases, but with this case, he wanted him to reverse the effects of aging, to show what Kelly would have looked like in his 30’s. The striking illustration below on the right is based on their findings.
Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2015, 05:24:17 pm »

http://casebook.org/press_reports/
Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2015, 05:29:26 pm »

Mr James Kelly.. A Serious Jack the Ripper Candidate?

Hello ATS,

The case of Jack the Ripper, which I'm sure we all know was a series of incredibly violent, brutal and gruesome murders primarily centered around Whitechapel in London during the late 1800's, has become to be known as the most famous unsolved murder case ever, yet at the same time It has also become by far the most researched murder case of all time. Solving it has been hailed the "holy grail" of detective work in fact...

Well, before I continue with this thread firstly let me state that I'm not looking to discuss and look at the many different suspects of the case, many sources out there cite in excess of 200 of them after all, instead in this thread I want to throw out a rather interesting theory, this is ATS after all, the theory being that the murderer of those 5 prostitutes, the official count reaching 5 but It's very possible there were many more victims at the hands of Jack the Ripper, was actually a relatively well known figure at the time.

The person who I'm throwing out there as Jack the Ripper for further debate and discussion was someone even the police hunted for as the original Ripper, as well as for a previous murder he committed in his life, this man going by the name of Mr James Kelly.

He was a well known figure, someone who was classified as "legally insane", and a proven violent man. Proven as in the months leading up to the Ripper murders he escaped from Broadmoor asylum, where he spent his time after being classified insane, or more specifically as a Paranoid Schizophrenia, which was where he was being held for the very brutal murder of his first wife Sarah Brider.

Kelly, who I believe is a prime suspect for the Ripper murders, can seemingly be placed in London around the time of the murders, as well as other murders in America much later on, and all with a, In my opinion, solid motive for committing such crimes in the first place. James Kelly is someone who seems to perfectly fit the profile of not just a killer.. but the Whitechapel murderer, commonly referred to as Jack the Ripper or the "leather apron."
Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2015, 05:29:58 pm »

It's certainly quite possible, maybe even probable that he was indeed the true culprit of these incredibly vicious and almost un-human murders and in this thread I'd like to take the time to show why exactly. I will discuss this theory in the best and most informative way that I feel I can a little bit later on in this thread. For now though I really do feel the need to explain, particularly for those who may not be familiar with this case, what it's all about exactly, why solving it is seen as "the holy grail of detective work" and quite simply put - why it has the gruesome reputation it has today, around 119 years later.

Before I even go onto doing this though, here is a fantastic past thread looking and giving a comprehensive overview (something my thread is not - instead a single theory) of the case of Jack the Ripper and his gruesome murders, this thread coming from one of my all time favourite members of ATS, TheMythLives, this being a thread he wrote in mid 2009: Jack The Ripper: The Case Reviewed.

A great thread there, unfortunately however It seems as though Kelly was not mentioned among the main suspects, this actually being one of the reasons why I felt the need to share this theory with starting a brand new thread in fact. One looking at just Kelly. And upon reading the thread from Myth... I can't help but notice how Kelly would have fit the perfect profile of the killer he went onto discuss and describe, there's even a perfect motive for the way in which he "ripped" up his victims which, I feel, connects Kelly to the case.

Once again though, I'm certainly looking to discuss all this a little bit later on in this thread as I look to discuss this theory of who the most famous killer perhaps in history may really have been in full, but for now here is my brief overview of the case, who it's victims were, when it all occurred and so on..

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread782875/pg1
Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2015, 05:31:33 pm »

Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2015, 05:33:24 pm »

Meeting his wife, Marriage and Eventual Murder...

It was late of this year that he was to meet Sarah Brider for the very first time, this being the woman who would later become his wife. Unfortunately though it was also around this time that Kelly's mental instability was worsening, even losing jobs because of it as his employers, such as John Hiron for example, described him as "he was obviously not right in the head" not forgetting Isaac H. Jones citing him as acting irrationality and experiencing mood swings as previously highlighted.

(I believe this is an image of a young James Kelly, our potential Jack the Ripper)
Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2015, 05:35:31 pm »

Anyway, even despite his personal problems at the time he still grew closer to Sarah, meeting her parents on occasions and even moving in with them:

December 1881 - A few weeks before Christmas he meets Sarah Brider and quickly becomes enamoured of her. Sarah takes him home to meet her family and the pair become an item. Sarah's parents think him a serious and religious young man with good prospects.

March 1882 - Kelly moves into the Brider's house at 21 Cottage Lane, just off the City Road between Shoreditch and Islington, as a lodger. He has to share a room with another man. He cuts down on his drinking and other activities and spends many evenings in the house with Sarah and her parents.

Christmas 1882 - Kelly and Sarah have become increasingly intimate over the year and, after much persistence on his part, she surrenders her virginity to him. The event is a disaster. Despite being sexually experienced, Kelly has only slept with low-class prostitutes and neither one has had any kind of sex education. He is not prepared for how different sex with a virgin will be and finds himself unable to penetrate. He is convinced that Sarah has some kind of deformity and she babbles a story of being interfered with by an uncle by way of explanation. Kelly's former erratic behaviour returns after this and he experiences stronger and stronger depressions and mood swings in the following months. He also returns to his former habits in the East End rather than pressing Sarah further.

February 1883 - Fearful that he will lose Sarah who is growing more distant, he proposes marriage to her. She delays but eventually accepts. However in the meantime Kelly finds he has a venereal disease and, fearful of doctors, resolves to treat it himself.
Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2015, 05:36:24 pm »

Due to his disease Kelly sought out treatment in secret, desperately avoiding to inform Sarah or her parents who eventually found out by finding syringes he was using for medication which he had stored away in secret. With being confronted by the whole family shortly afterwards he's said to have just erupted in a complete fit of rage, even going as far as accusing Sarah of being a prostitute, a serious insult in the mind of Kelly, and infecting him with the disease he was now suffering from.

This being potentially where James grew his severe hatred for prostitutes. Paranoid, he also accuses her and her family, who was pressuring him into setting a date for a wedding with Sarah, of being after nothing but his inheritance money.

The day after it was Sarah's birthday and so Kelly made attempts to make up for his actions the day before, however he is stood up by her after waiting to take her out after he returned from work that day, she once again ignores him later on after they meet at home around 9 o clock that evening. James once again falls into a state of rage at her and in doing so runs into the room where Sarah was and drags her out of it and into the kitchen. He then grabs a nearby kitchen knife and threatens to stab her if she refuses to tell him exactly where she had been, Kelly obviously paranoid once again:
Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2015, 05:37:03 pm »

Monday June 18th 1883 - Sarah's birthday. Filled with remorse at his outburst of the night before Kelly resolves to take her out on their return from work. Kelly waits for her but she does not return until 9 o'clock, over an hour later than usual. Ignoring Kelly she goes into the parlour and tells her mother she is unwell. Kelly runs into the parlour and drags Sarah into the kitchen screaming abuse at her. Then he pulls a carving knife from a kitchen drawer and threatens to stab her unless she tells him where she has been. She claims to have gone to get some quinine to help him with his problems. Kelly calms down instantly and collapses in a chair crying.

Thursday June 21st 1883 - Sarah returns home from work at around 8pm and says she is going back out to meet Kelly. An hour later he appears without her. Mrs Brider asks where she is and he tells her that he saw her on the other side of the road and did not cross to her. Then he snaps at her that no woman will ever master him and he goes out again.

Kelly was becoming much worse as of late, falling into fits of rage much more often and far too easily. Upon an incident where Sarah breaks away from Kelly seemingly after an argument she runs to her room and locks herself inside to escape him, this resulting in him once again falling into a fit of rage and pure anger eventually breaking down the door to get to her. She says she no longer wants to live him and she no longer wants to see him again which then causes Kelly to once again break down in tears and beg her for forgiveness.

After she refuses to forgive him however his anger returns, this time though he grabs her, throws her to the floor and pulls out a pocket knife he had in his possession and he begins to stab her in the neck. It's said It was like he was trying to burrow into her with his knife and even his own hands, almost like an animal.

He throws Sarah's mother across the room, as she obviously saw what happened and attempted to stop him attacking her daughter, and instead of trying to make an escape, he runs to his room and locks himself in, presumably bursting into a state of tears like before.

The police, as well as a doctor, arrived shortly afterwards and Kelly was immediately arrested for what he had done. Sarah however was taken to a nearby hospital but she went onto die from her injuries around 3 days later, Kelly at the time still begging for forgiveness through letters. He was originally charged with attempted murder but with Sarah's death this changed to murder and Kelly now faced the death penalty in August of that year. At the same time he still didn't seem to quite understand what he had done wrong..

-- His Imprisonment and Eventual Escape From Broadmoor Asylum...

Kelly’s behavior exhibited such insanity that it is not hard to believe him as the Ripper himself. On the morning of June 22, 1883, Kelly was charged with attempted murder. The charge was later changed to murder when Sarah died at half past ten on June 24. Kelly did not believe he would be sentenced to death because he believed that God had a mission for him (Casebook). This mission could possibly be to rid London of the women he thought so little of throughout his whole life. He was set to be executed on August 20, 1883 but on the 17th he was reprieved and was sent to Broadmoor Asylum (Eddleston 217). He started out on Block four of the asylum with the suicidal and quite mad. Kelly did not respond to treatment and felt that he had done nothing wrong, further showing his insanity and lack of remorse for his actions. He kept to himself and was considered a quiet young man with signs of religious mania (Tully 52). His lack of contact with woman was the likely reason for his somewhat good behaviour in the asylum because women were the spark that ignited his insanity.

(Source)

Kelly was charged with murder on the 25th of June, 1883, and was sentenced to Broadmoor prison, as was highlighted above, the disease he believed he had received from the work of prostitution ending up causing him to argue insanely with Sarah which then resulted in her death and his own imprisonment - It's possible this was the reasoning behind Kelly's murderous spree and war against Prostitutes later on in life, assuming Kelly really is Jack the ripper of course.

As the above source also highlighted, it appears that while serving time in Broadmoor, Kelly was a model prisoner, particularly with the lack of women around him. He was sentenced to hang on the 20 of August, something that didn't seem to concern him as he believed he was on a "mission from god" and would be saved from death - which of course did occur as on the 7th of August, 13 days before he is set to hang, Dr W. Orange, superintendent of Broadmoor, conducts an examination and concludes that Kelly is legally insane, or to be specific a "Paranoid Schizophrenic."

His life was spared. He was then moved to Broadmoor asylum, while he was here he once again was not bothered by any women and thus became something of a role model prisoner. Even being handed a violin and making his way to play in the prisons Asylum band.
Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2015, 05:43:29 pm »

If, for example, Kelly believed the mission from god was one to rid the world of prostitutes for example, which isn't out of the question given the circumstances which led him to be where he was, then the fact he was certainly saved would only confirm for himself that he was indeed on a mission and quite literally had to carry it out. There was one problem though... he was in prison. Thus, he worked up a plan to escape along with the help of prison inmate George Stratton.

On the 23rd of January, 1888, months before the ripper murders first began, Kelly and Stratton head off together seemingly for band practice as both were involved with the asylum band at the time, and both had their instruments with them, however in the months leading up to the escape they both fashioned themselves a set of keys which they would use for the daring escape, I believe spending months on it.. as the story goes anyway.

Stratton locks up after him and keeps the keys to make his own escape at a later date. Kelly then climbs the six foot wall of the prison garden to freedom. His escape is not noticed until the inmates are called for bed at 7.30. An anonymous note in Kelly's Broadmoor file indicates that John Merritt was also seen in the neighbourhood of Broadmoor on the day of the escape which may suggest that he helped him escape somehow.
edit on 5-12-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2015, 05:46:22 pm »

If, for example, Kelly believed the mission from god was one to rid the world of prostitutes for example, which isn't out of the question given the circumstances which led him to be where he was, then the fact he was certainly saved would only confirm for himself that he was indeed on a mission and quite literally had to carry it out. There was one problem though... he was in prison. Thus, he worked up a plan to escape along with the help of prison inmate George Stratton.

On the 23rd of January, 1888, months before the ripper murders first began, Kelly and Stratton head off together seemingly for band practice as both were involved with the asylum band at the time, and both had their instruments with them, however in the months leading up to the escape they both fashioned themselves a set of keys which they would use for the daring escape, I believe spending months on it.. as the story goes anyway.

Stratton locks up after him and keeps the keys to make his own escape at a later date. Kelly then climbs the six foot wall of the prison garden to freedom. His escape is not noticed until the inmates are called for bed at 7.30. An anonymous note in Kelly's Broadmoor file indicates that John Merritt was also seen in the neighbourhood of Broadmoor on the day of the escape which may suggest that he helped him escape somehow.
edit on 5-12-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

Rising Against

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
-- The Return of Kelly and the "End of Life Confession"...

Little is actually known about the exact whereabouts of Kelly in the aftermath of his rather dramatic escape from Broadmoor asylum in 1888. This makes is that little bit more difficult to determine, conclusively that is, whether he could've even been in London at the time of the killings which if he was gives this theory much more creditably, In my opinion. It does seem however that he did at least travel there at some point after his escape though, as well as staying for a while.

At the very least we know for a fact that shortly after the murders first began in Whitechapel Sarah's parents, Sarah the murdered wife of Kelly remember, had their home raided by police and they were subsequently questioned about the possible whereabouts of Kelly and I believe their residence was also searched for clues.

So we know for an absolute fact that the idea of James Kelly being behind the murders thus was also the infamous Jack the Ripper was at the very least seriously considered by those in the police force who were desperately looking for him at the time.

How can we determine where Kelly may have been however? Well, after making a disappearance in 1888, little is known about what he did, where he went and so on. Despite there being a relatively well known and large man hunt for him, which is where he originally "gained his fame", but all to no avail of course. That is until 1927 where he quite literally turned up on the doorsteps of Broadmoor asylum and all apparently of his own free will.

An old, frail, dying man.. but a man alive still. And still capable of giving something of a confession to explain his whereabouts all those years.

In this "confession", nothing is ever 'admitted' It would seem, but even so I personally believe, as do some other researchers from what I've read, that Kelly was dropping some pretty serious hints which may tie him to the Ripper case. For example In the "End of life confession", Kelly himself claims that, and in his own words remember, “I have been on the warpath since I left Broadmoor.” Of course this once again is going from what I've read and from what I've seen in various documentaries - So It's unclear exactly what context this is used in unfortunately.

[removed at member request]

He also supposedly says in his letter that he had problems with society such as “all kinds of skank”, not forgetting he claimed in 1888 that he would be saved from death with the help of God, this after being handed a death sentence for murdering his first wife, and that he was given a "mission" - of course I'm making nothing but assumptions here but It's possible he believe his mission was to literally rid the world of this, as he called it, "Skank."

This I believe potentially backed up by his actions in America which I've explained in the next section of this thread... he was literally going from place to place, perhaps "cleansing" them in his own deranged eyes.

Well I theorize that due to his mental instability, his own claim of being on a warpath, and his obvious dislike of prostitutes, It's becoming clearer that he should at the very least be seen as a major suspect for the original Jack the Ripper, someone who has yet to be revealed even well over 100 years after the murders first occurred. At the very least Kelly, as a suspect, should be considered much more than he already is.

Anyway, the murders around Whitechapel seemingly came to a stop after the death of Mary Kelly, for whatever reason. However, this may have been the end of the killing spree in London, yes, but even so the killings may have continued..

- Return of the Ripper -

The Rippers Possible Infiltration of America

Whether James Kelly really is Jack the Ripper, I don't know, there is after all well over 200 different suspects in this case, some others fitting the profile almost perfectly. Fortunately though this thread is not a discussion of those but instead a discussion solely on Kelly.

In regards to the Ripper, well, nobody knows for sure who the name of this murderous character really is, all we can do unfortunately is speculate. Either way, it would seem that his murderous rampage around Whitechapel would come to a stop late on in 1888.. but as was mentioned, this doesn't seem to be where the killings from this man stopped still.

They may have continued in America of all places, more famously to a woman by the name of Carrie Brown in New York...

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread782875/pg1#pid12947418
Report Spam   Logged
Keira Kensington
Superhero Member

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2015, 05:47:00 pm »

Continuing the trend of looking at Kelly however, it must be asked if he can be tied into the murders which then went onto sweep across America, literally state by state and the answer is very much so, yes. You see according to Kelly's own "confession" where he highlighted a great deal of his movements, particularly movements after the Whitechapel murders came to an end, he claimed to have travelled to America on a German steamer, the Zaandam, to New York via Rotterdam in January of 1892...

The Murder of Carrie brown, in what was a particularly gruesome murder, occurred in April of the same year.. Kelly arriving just in time for the murder to take place it would seem.

Why is she linked to the Jack the Ripper murders some may ask though? Well, we know for a fact that Carrie Brown was working as a prostitute at the time of her death, this on the night of the 23rd of April, 1892, this being something well known. She was also found to be very badly mutilated, almost gutted by her murderer, and in a way very similar to the ripper murders previously in London a few months before. Much like what was seen to Mary Kelly in fact, the most gruesome Whitechapel case.. as well as more anomalies, such as a mysterious letter to a new york paper sent just before the murder supposedly signed Jack the Ripper.

Known fondly by her acquaintances as "Old Shakespeare" due to her tendency to recite her favorite poet's sonnets after a few drinks, Carrie Brown checked into the East River Hotel, on the southeast corner of Catherine Slip and Water Streets, with a man between 10:30 and 11:00 on the night of April 23rd. Her lifeless body was discovered lying on the bed the next morning, naked from the armpits down, according to the night clerk who found her. Her body was mutilated, and she had been strangled, but there are few details known about her injuries. The details of the autopsy were played down a great deal by the press, and all that we can know for sure is that there were 'cuts and stab wounds all over it.' The doctor who performed the autopsy, named Jenkins, is said to have thought that the killer had attempted to completely gut his victim. Other than that, the exactness of her injuries remain a mystery.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: