Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 07:28:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Eight new planets found in 'Goldilocks' zone

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eight new planets found in 'Goldilocks' zone  (Read 112 times)
Sea Dragon
Superhero Member

« on: January 09, 2015, 10:50:27 pm »

January 6, 2015

Jan 06, 2015
This artist's conception depicts an Earth-like planet orbiting an evolved star that has formed a stunning Credit: David A. Aguilar/CfA

Astronomers announced today that they have found eight new planets in the "Goldilocks" zone of their stars, orbiting at a distance where liquid water can exist on the planet's surface. This doubles the number of small planets (less than twice the diameter of Earth) believed to be in the habitable zone of their parent stars. Among these eight, the team identified two that are the most similar to Earth of any known exoplanets to date.

"Most of these planets have a good chance of being rocky, like Earth," says lead author Guillermo Torres of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA).

These findings were announced today in a press conference at a meeting of the American Astronomical Society.

The two most Earth-like planets of the group are Kepler-438b and Kepler-442b. Both orbit red dwarf stars that are smaller and cooler than our Sun. Kepler-438b circles its star every 35 days, while Kepler-442b completes one orbit every 112 days.

With a diameter just 12 percent bigger than Earth, Kepler-438b has a 70-percent chance of being rocky, according to the team's calculations. Kepler-442b is about one-third larger than Earth, but still has a 60-percent chance of being rocky.

To be in the habitable zone, an exoplanet must receive about as much sunlight as Earth. Too much, and any water would boil away as steam. Too little, and water will freeze solid.

"For our calculations we chose to adopt the broadest possible limits that can plausibly lead to suitable conditions for life," says Torres.

Kepler-438b receives about 40 percent more light than Earth. (In comparison, Venus gets twice as much solar radiation as Earth.) As a result, the team calculates it has a 70 percent likelihood of being in the habitable zone of its star.

Kepler-442b get about two-thirds as much light as Earth. The scientists give it a 97 percent chance of being in the habitable zone.

"We don't know for sure whether any of the planets in our sample are truly habitable," explains second author David Kipping of the CfA. "All we can say is that they're promising candidates."

Prior to this, the two most Earth-like planets known were Kepler-186f, which is 1.1 times the size of Earth and receives 32 percent as much light, and Kepler-62f, which is 1.4 times the size of Earth and gets 41 percent as much light.

The team studied planetary candidates first identified by NASA's Kepler mission. All of the planets were too small to confirm by measuring their masses. Instead, the team validated them by using a computer program called BLENDER to determine that they are statistically likely to be planets. BLENDER was developed by Torres and colleague Francois Fressin, and runs on the Pleaides supercomputer at NASA Ames. This is the same method that has been used previously to validate some of Kepler's most iconic finds, including the first two Earth-size planets around a Sun-like star and the first exoplanet smaller than Mercury.

After the BLENDER analysis, the team spent another year gathering follow-up observations in the form of high-resolution spectroscopy, adaptive optics imaging, and speckle interferometry to thoroughly characterize the systems.

Those follow-up observations also revealed that four of the newly validated planets are in multiple-star systems. However, the companion stars are distant and don't significantly influence the planets.

As with many Kepler discoveries, the newly found planets are distant enough to make additional observations challenging. Kepler-438b is located 470 light-years from Earth while the more distant Kepler-442b is 1,100 light-years away.

Explore further: Kepler marks five years in space

Provided by Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics search and more info website

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sea Dragon
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 10:51:30 pm »

Kepler marks five years in space
Mar 07, 2014

(Phys.org) —Five years ago today, on March 6, 2009, NASA's Kepler Space Telescope rocketed into the night skies above Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida to find planets around other stars, called ...
Astronomer confirms a new "Super-Earth" planet
Dec 19, 2014

A University of British Columbia astronomer is a key player in the discovery of a new exoplanet, out beyond our solar system.
New instrument reveals recipe for other Earths
Jan 05, 2015

How do you make an Earth-like planet? The "test kitchen" of Earth has given us a detailed recipe, but it wasn't clear whether other planetary systems would follow the same formula. Now, astronomers have found ...
NASA cries planetary 'bonanza' with 715 new worlds
Feb 26, 2014

NASA on Wednesday announced a torrent of new planet discoveries, hailing a "bonanza" of 715 worlds now known outside the solar system thanks to the Kepler space telescope's planet-hunting mission.
Kepler proves it can still find planets
Dec 18, 2014

To paraphrase Mark Twain, the report of the Kepler spacecraft's death was greatly exaggerated. Despite a malfunction that ended its primary mission in May 2013, Kepler is still alive and working. The evidence ...
Study: At least one in six stars has an Earth-sized planet
Jan 07, 2013

(Phys.org)—The quest for a twin Earth is heating up. Using NASA's Kepler spacecraft, astronomers are beginning to find Earth-sized planets orbiting distant stars. A new analysis of Kepler data shows that ...
Recommended for you
Map of mysterious molecules in galaxy sheds new light on century-old puzzle
15 hours ago

By analyzing the light of hundreds of thousands of celestial objects, Johns Hopkins astronomers from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey have created a unique map of enigmatic molecules in our galaxy that are responsible ...
Machines teach astronomers about stars
16 hours ago

Astronomers are enlisting the help of machines to sort through thousands of stars in our galaxy and learn their sizes, compositions and other basic traits.
Flashes from faster-than-light spots may help illuminate astronomical secrets
Jan 08, 2015

(Phys.org)—If you sweep a laser pointer across the Moon fast enough, you can create spots that actually move faster than light. Anyone can do it.
Study of Andromeda's stellar disk indicates more violent history than Milky Way
Jan 08, 2015

A detailed study of the motions of different stellar populations in the disk of the Andromeda galaxy has found striking differences from our own Milky Way, suggesting a more violent history of mergers with ...
Shadows cast by a warp in a planet forming system
Jan 08, 2015

Astronomers from MAD at Universidad de Chile present a viable scenario for the three dimensional geometry of a planet forming system. The finding is based on the discovery of shadows cast by a warped inner ...
Will the real monster black hole please stand up?
Jan 08, 2015

(Phys.org)—A new high-energy X-ray image from NASA's Nuclear Spectroscopic Telescope Array, or NuSTAR, has pinpointed the true monster of a galactic mashup. The image shows two colliding galaxies, collectively ...
User comments : 14

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

Vignesh R P

1.5 / 5 (6) Jan 06, 2015
I really have a doubt for a long time. According to their observations, Kepler-438b is located 470 light-years and Kepler-442b is 1,100 light-years away from the earth. If we are observing the planet now, that means we are observing the planet which is 1,100 years ago, i.e., we are looking at the past. Then what would be the probability of life that exist in those planets? Or what is the major advantage of exploring those habitable planets? The life may be completely destroyed, if it was so.
Surly

5 / 5 (7) Jan 06, 2015
@Vignesh: Life on Earth has existed for ~3.8 billion years. If there is life on one of those planets, it is unlikely that it would go extinct in the relatively short period that light took to get here from there.

We can't make a very good estimate of how likely it is that life exists on those planets, because we don't know much about those planets except their size and location. To have more information, we'd need to use spectroscopy to see what their atmosphere is made of. That would give us evidence as to whether photosynthesis is happening there.

Kepler is too small to do spectroscopy on a planet's atmosphere. But the James Webb telescope (which should launch in 2018) should be able to.
Zenmaster

5 / 5 (2) Jan 06, 2015
@Surly: "Kepler is too small to do spectroscopy on a planet's atmosphere. But the James Webb telescope (which should launch in 2018) should be able to."

Isn't James Webb designed to detect wavelengths much longer than required to determine composition of planet atmospheres? Elements are in the visible range ~300-900nm correct?
Uncle Ira

4.3 / 5 (6) Jan 06, 2015

Or what is the major advantage of exploring those habitable planets? The life may be completely destroyed, if it was so.

@ Vignish-Skippy. How you are? I'm fine and dandy thanks.

Well I'm not the real scientist-Skippy so what I say about why probably doesn't count for much. But for ol Ira-Skippy (that's me) the major big advantage of exploring them is just to learn more about them. Because I know if it is interesting to me it's got to be really big interesting to the real scientist-Skippys. Maybe learning something about them will tell something more about us.
AlienOverlord

1 / 5 (6) Jan 06, 2015
What's the point? Say a lightyear equals one mile...Then the earth is one inch from the Sun and Pluto is six feet from the Sun. The closest star is four miles. The only possible way for us to get there without warp drive is if the area between solar systems run at a different time speed. So, my question is; when a star warps space, does it speed time up or slow it down?
michael_draut

3.2 / 5 (5) Jan 07, 2015
Other than just shear science satisfaction, practically speaking this all has little application for us earthlings. Why not ramp up and put as much energy into creating habitat on planets in our own solar system? Like Venus, Mars or our own Moon? Seems to be a waste of money.
ScottyB

4.2 / 5 (5) Jan 07, 2015

Seems to be a waste of money.

Finding out weather we are alone in the universe is a waste of money??? Okay then
CreepyD

not rated yet Jan 07, 2015
@AlienOverlord..
I believe Einstein's theory shows that as you approach the speed of light, time for those going that fast slows down.
To the point that if you were moving at 0.99c you would be able to travel to the edge of the visible universe within your lifetime.
Of course, getting to that speed is another matter entirely.
Torbjorn_Larsson_OM

5 / 5 (5) Jan 07, 2015
@Surly: "Kepler is too small to do spectroscopy on a planet's atmosphere. But the James Webb telescope (which should launch in 2018) should be able to."

As I remember it, unfortunately only on gas giants and quite close at that.

The plan is that, starting with TESS 2017-2019, find out close habitable terrestrial planets, then start to characterize atmospheres, starting with the 30 m telescopes that starts in the early 20's, on those around dwarfs (red and white) were the signal-to-noise ratio means it isn't as demanding.

@AlienLord, michael_draut: "What's the point?", "Seems to be a waste of money."

Assuming you aren't just trolling (a common troll plain) and are genuinely intersted in the science, let me point to the NASA papers that reserached if science is well spent money. It is, it has one of the best ROI there is.

The problem is that no one can predict what gives the R on I. But it is mitigated by that it is all reinforcing.
hurricane25

not rated yet Jan 07, 2015

What's the point? Say a lightyear equals one mile...Then the earth is one inch from the Sun and Pluto is six feet from the Sun. The closest star is four miles. The only possible way for us to get there without warp drive is if the area between solar systems run at a different time speed. So, my question is; when a star warps space, does it speed time up or slow it down?

Knowledge
The Abiity to understand our place
Possible future exploration.

Worth every cent! Science normally is. Oh'yess, you're one of those small government people that hate science and exploration.
michael_draut

1 / 5 (1) Jan 08, 2015

@hurricane25, @Torbjorn_Larsson_OM, @ScottyB
Knowledge
The Abiity to understand our place
Possible future exploration.

Worth every cent! Science normally is. Oh'yess, you're one of those small government people that hate science and exploration.

It is typical in the liberal academia not to acknowledge that there may just be other ventures that would be as useful if not more so, producing better understanding of our own planet and significantly more knowledge for existing generations to apply. Several of you must be Star Wars freaks salivating over your own personal agenda.

Why not look within our own solar system? Venus? Mars? Our own moon for God's sake! Colonizing them, Our oceans... quit chasing Darth Vader and do something that will be useful and practical. And yes, spending untold millions for what? More theory, more money? Shame on you...
Torbjorn_Larsson_OM

5 / 5 (2) Jan 08, 2015
@michael_draut: "Oh'yess, you're one of those small government people that hate science and exploration."

Did you even read my comment?

BTW, you comment is half loutish ("small"), half conspiracy theory ("government").

Besides that, you didn't respond to the reference (except by unsubstantiated handwaving).

I think we are done here, there is no ground for a further discussion on the usefulness of science and especially astrobiology. Meanwhile, astrobiology is enormously successful (exponential increase in found planets, ...) and enormously marketable. (See e.g. the new antibiotic that is just found, that will means billion less in costs and billions over the years in gained income. That is the use of science, and as per the ref astrobiology.)
Benni

1 / 5 (3) 5 hours ago
We've known for a long time there are other planets orbiting other stars, but please, save it (the repetitive announcements).......wake me up when they've discovered life on one of'em.
Benni

1 / 5 (2) 2 hours ago

We've known for a long time there are other planets orbiting other stars, but please, save it (the repetitive announcements).......wake me up when they've discovered life on one of'em.

Maggie, ira: I don't mean you ROCs, I'm referring to real life.

Report Spam   Logged
Sea Dragon
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 10:53:34 pm »

This artist's conception depicts an Earth-like planet orbiting an evolved star that has formed a stunning Credit: David A. Aguilar/CfA

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-01-planets-goldilocks-zone.html#jCp
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: