Atlantis Online
October 17, 2019, 11:22:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Site provides evidence for ancient comet explosion
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/nationworld/story/173177.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Atlantis Tiahuanaco

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atlantis Tiahuanaco  (Read 1785 times)
Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 02:01:59 am »

If you want to assert every single detail has to be Totally Litteral Modern English Interpretation then you will never agree with our find and will never find a site that matches.

I don't assert that every detail has to match. Logically, the Greeks had no idea where exactly Atlantis was, namely because:

1. None of them had ever been there.
2. There was no method of telling the passage of time existing in the era that Atlantis existed. The Greeks themselves weren't even a culture then.

What bugs me, Sean, is that some researchers, and I have to add you to the list, take some details more seriously than others or try to ignore some details in order to fit a theory.

We know it happened a long time ago, we know that it was beyond the Pillars of Hercules (Gibraltar) and we know that it vanished into the sea. To my mind, all other details, the when and the where of it, are open to interpretation.
I am offend that you say i am not taking literally and/or "fudging". I do not fudge the Atlantis account. I do take the account very seriously/literally. There are just a few things that are not completely "literal" in the way you like.

I'm offended that you are offended! Look at all the various interpretations: Bury, Jowett, all the others, they all say 9000 years in the past.

From Critias:

Let me begin by observing first of all, that nine thousand was the sum of years which had elapsed since the war which was said to have taken place between those who dwelt outside the Pillars of Heracles and all who dwelt within them; this war I am going to describe.

As for the physical description of the city (excuse the length of this):

And beginning from the sea they bored a canal of three hundred feet in width and one hundred feet in depth and fifty stadia in length, which they carried through to the outermost zone, making a passage from the sea up to this, which became a harbour, and leaving an opening sufficient to enable the largest vessels to find ingress. Moreover, they divided at the bridges the zones of land which parted the zones of sea, leaving room for a single trireme to pass out of one zone into another, and they covered over the channels so as to leave a way underneath for the ships; for the banks were raised considerably above the water. Now the largest of the zones into which a passage was cut from the sea was three stadia in breadth, and the zone of land which came next of equal breadth; but the next two zones, the one of water, the other of land, were two stadia, and the one which surrounded the central island was a stadium only in width. The island in which the palace was situated had a diameter of five stadia. All this including the zones and the bridge, which was the sixth part of a stadium in width, they surrounded by a stone wall on every side, placing towers and gates on the bridges where the sea passed in. The stone which was used in the work they quarried from underneath the centre island, and from underneath the zones, on the outer as well as the inner side.

That is a very specific, very detailed description of the concentric circles and it doesn't actually match Tiahuanaco. I am NOT adamant about the 9000 years, just the idea that some of the other details don't match: no real calamity to match the kind that Plato wrote about, no evidence of the war (or any contacts at all between the Med and South America at all at that time), and the fact that, with the technology of their boats at that time and their geographic location, Tiahuanaco was not actually in position to have a sea empire, let alone one in the Med.

The concentric circles around the world are important!  I always believed they were evidence of the sea empire that actually was the basis for Atlantis. You're probably aware of this, but it wasn't actually called Atlantis!  Plato also wrote:

Yet, before proceeding further in the narrative, I ought to warn you, that you must not be surprised if you should perhaps hear Hellenic names given to foreigners. I will tell you the reason of this: Solon, who was intending to use the tale for his poem, enquired into the meaning of the names, and found that the early Egyptians in writing them down had translated them into their own language, and he recovered the meaning of the several names and when copying them out again translated them into our language.

So, that, like other details makes the account even more open to interpretation.

Report Spam   Logged

This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean. But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: