Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 08:55:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Giant crater may lie under Antarctic ice
http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn9268

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Bram Stoker

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bram Stoker  (Read 81 times)
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« on: September 14, 2007, 01:25:40 pm »

"No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and dear to his heart and eye the morning can be."

Abraham Stoker (8 November 1847 - 20 April 1912) was an Irish writer, best remembered as the author of the influential horror novel Dracula; he wrote under the name Bram Stoker.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 01:26:27 pm by Carolyn Silver » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 01:27:35 pm »

Dracula (1897)

•   I heard a heavy step approaching behind the great door, and saw through the chinks the gleam of a coming light. Then there was the sound of rattling chains and the clanking of massive bolts drawn back. A key was turned with the loud grating noise of long disuse, and the great door swung back.
Within, stood a tall old man, clean shaven save for a long white moustache, and clad in black from head to foot, without a single speck of colour about him anywhere. He held in his hand an antique silver lamp, in which the flame burned without a chimney or globe of any kind, throwing long quivering shadows as it flickered in the draught of the open door. The old man motioned me in with his right hand with a courtly gesture, saying in excellent English, but with a strange intonation.
"Welcome to my house! Enter freely and of your own free will!"
o   Jonathan Harker's journal
•   I am Dracula, and I bid you welcome, Mr. Harker, to my house. Come in, the night air is chill, and you must need to eat and rest.
o   Dracula to Jonathan Harker
•   We are in Transylvania, and Transylvania is not England. Our ways are not your ways, and there shall be to you many strange things.
o   Dracula to Jonathan Harker
•   Listen to them - children of the night. What music they make.
o   Dracula referring to the howling of the wolves to Jonathan Harker.
•   No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.
o   Jonathan Harker
•   Nothing is too small. I counsel you, put down in record even your doubts and surmises. Hereafter it may be of interest to you to see how true you guess. We learn from failure, not from success!
o   Professor Van Helsing to Dr. Seward
•   Oh, friend John, it is a strange world, a sad world, a world full of miseries, and woes, and troubles. And yet when King Laugh come, he make them all dance to the tune he play.
•   You reason well, and your wit is bold, but you are too prejudiced. You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Do you not think that there are things which you cannot understand, and yet which are, that some people see things that others cannot? But there are things old and new which must not be contemplated by men's eyes, because they know, or think they know, some things which other men have told them. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all, and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain. But yet we see around us every day the growth of new beliefs, which think themselves new, and which are yet but the old, which pretend to be young, like the fine ladies at the opera.
•   I have always thought that a wild animal never looks so well as when some obstacle of pronounced durability is between us. A personal experience has intensified rather than diminished that idea.
o   The Keeper in the Zoological Gardens
•   The sun was almost down on the mountain tops, and the shadows of the whole group fell upon the snow. I saw the Count lying within the box upon the earth, some of which the rude falling from the cart had scattered over him. He was deathly pale, just like a waxen image, and the red eyes glared with the horrible vindictive look which I knew so well.
As I looked, the eyes saw the sinking sun, and the look of hate in them turned to triumph.
But, on the instant, came the sweep and flash of Jonathan's great knife. I shrieked as I saw it shear through the throat. Whilst at the same moment Mr. Morris's bowie knife plunged into the heart.
It was like a miracle, but before our very eyes, and almost in the drawing of a breath, the whole body crumbled into dust and passed from our sight.
I shall be glad as long as I live that even in that moment of final dissolution, there was in the face a look of peace, such as I never could have imagined might have rested there.
o   Mina Harker
•   Seven years ago we all went through the flames. And the happiness of some of us since then is, we think, well worth the pain we endured.
o   Jonathan Harker
Report Spam   Logged
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 01:29:26 pm »

Bram Stoker
Born: November 8, 1847(1847-11-08)
Fairview, Ireland
Died: April 20, 1912 (aged 64)
London, England
Genres: Horror, Romantic Fiction
Influences: Emily Gerard, Sheridan Le Fanu, Henry Irving
Influenced: Modern Vampire, many later horror writers, best remembered as the author of the influential horror novel Dracula. In his honour, the Horror Writers Association recognizes "superior achievement" in horror writing with the Bram Stoker Award.

Report Spam   Logged
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 01:30:52 pm »

He was born on November 8, 1847 at 15 Marino Crescent — then as now called "The Crescent" - in Fairview, a coastal suburb of Dublin, Ireland. His parents were Abraham Stoker (born in 1799; married Stoker's mother in 1844; died on October 10, 1876) and the feminist Charlotte Mathilda Blake Thornely (born in 1818; died in 1901). Stoker was the third of seven children. Abraham and Charlotte were members of the Clontarf Church of Ireland parish and attended the parish church (St. John the Baptist located on Seafield Road West) with their children, who were both baptised there.

Until he started school at the age of seven — when he made a complete, astounding recovery — Stoker was an invalid. Of this time, Stoker wrote, "I was naturally thoughtful, and the leisure of long illness gave opportunity for many thoughts which were fruitful according to their kind in later years."

After his recovery, he became a normal young man, even excelling as an athlete (he was named University Athlete) at Trinity College, Dublin (1864–70), from which he graduated with honors in mathematics. He was auditor of the College Historical Society and president of the University Philosophical Society, where his first paper was on "Sensationalism in Fiction and Society".

In 1876, while employed as a civil servant in Dublin, Stoker wrote a non-fiction book (The Duties of Clerks of Petty Sessions in Ireland, published 1879) and theater reviews for The Dublin Mail, a newspaper partly owned by fellow horror writer J. Sheridan Le Fanu. His interest in theatre led to a lifelong friendship with the English actor Henry Irving. He also wrote stories, and in 1872 "The Crystal Cup" was published by the London Society, followed by "The Chain of Destiny" in four parts in The Shamrock.

In 1878 Stoker married Florence Balcombe, a celebrated beauty whose former suitor was Oscar Wilde. The couple moved to London, where Stoker became business manager (at first as acting-manager) of Irving's Lyceum Theatre, a post he held for 27 years. The collaboration with Irving was very important for Stoker and through him he became involved in London's high society, where he met, among other notables, James McNeil Whistler, the Cathartist poet Frances Featherstone and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. In the course of Irving's tours, Stoker got the chance to travel around the world.

The Stokers had one son, Irving Noel, who was born 31 December 1879.

Bram Stoker died on April 20th, 1912, and was cremated and his ashes placed in a display urn at Golders Green Crematorium. After Irving Noel Stoker's death in 1961, his ashes were added to that urn. The original plan had been to keep his parents' ashes together, but after Florence Stoker's death her ashes were scattered at the Gardens of Rest.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: