Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 03:53:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hunt for Lost City of Atlantis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3227295.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

''Platos Atlantis & Saint Johns Revelation are the Same Story''

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ''Platos Atlantis & Saint Johns Revelation are the Same Story''  (Read 11954 times)
Arcturus
Superhero Member

« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2015, 11:37:52 pm »

Yes, it is a bit curious how one myth of Atlas doesn't actually mirror the other. My answer to this has always been: Plato was talking about a different Atlas! It makes sense, his Atlas was a son of Poseidon, while the Atlas in mythology was actually one of the original Titans, existed before Poseidon's generation even took over.
Report Spam   Logged
pLANeT@LANTis

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2015, 05:26:55 am »

Huh 2 different versions of Atlas Huh

From the perspective of Greek mythology Atlas was always considered a Titan.

From the Living Webster Dictionary of Mythology:

Atlas, son of Iapetus and Clymene; brother of Prometheus; and father of the Hesperides, Hyades, Pleiades, and Calypso. A Titan who warred against the gods, he was condemned to carry the heavens on his shoulders.

-dp-

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 05:33:09 am by pLANeT@LANTis » Report Spam   Logged
pLANeT@LANTis

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2015, 06:20:38 am »

You know what is even more curious? In my "Dictionary of Greek Mythology" the offspring of Poseidon are not even mentioned:

Poseidon, Greek god of the sea, the son of Cronos and Rhea, and brother of Zeus and Hades. He was swallowed at birth by his father, but later freed by Zeus. The three gods drew lots and Poseidon received the sea as his domain. He also created the horse and is the patron of horse racing. He is usually represented as seated in a chariot drawn across the sea by horses, holding a trident in his hand. The Romans called him Neptune.

So did Plato just make up the story about Poseidon and his sons and Atlas?

-dp-
Report Spam   Logged
pLANeT@LANTis

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2015, 06:33:38 am »

Is there a disconnect here or what?
       Am I on to something?
       Do you understand where I'm coming from?

-dp-
Report Spam   Logged
pLANeT@LANTis

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2015, 07:34:06 am »

The point I'm trying to make is; Plato was spinning a web and John was spinning another web, but these two webs were connected to make one big web.

I always felt that the Titans were one of the first extraterrestrial explorers from another galaxy to visit Earth. I believe they were giants on the scale of about 1 mile tall that came to earth. But this planet was too small for them and the gravity was too strong, so they moved on toward the Galactic Center looking for another planet that would accommodate their height with less gravity.
       The mythology about the Greek gods defeating the Titans after a ten year war was just another story giving credence to the illiterate masses for a new belief system.
       The fact is the Titans were here for short time [thousands of years on our time scale] and had to leave and left planet Earth. The story about them being defeated by the Greek gods and going to the Tartarus or Hades is a myth made up to satisfy the  ignorant illiterate masses.

-dp-

Report Spam   Logged
pLANeT@LANTis

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2015, 08:50:10 am »

What I want to get back to is the topic of the seven stars or the Seven Sisters called the Pleiades.

St John found it significant enough to bring up the seven stars in the right hand of God in the first three chapters of Revelation.

But he doesn't come right out and say it does he. He doesn't make any reference to a plan of geography or geology!

But if you look at a map of the Mediterranean and draw a line true the axis of the Atlas Mountains of North West Africa that line will go through the center of Greece and the Aegean Sea.

©-dp-1978™
Report Spam   Logged
pLANeT@LANTis

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2015, 09:30:38 am »

So one has to ask is this line running through the Atlas Mountains to Greece accidental, coincidental or planned?
       It is one thing to have a mountain range in the Mediterranean area that is aligned and running through the center of Greece, but  it is another thing to name that mountain range after Atlas in those days before Google Earth unless they had some inside information and had an arial view of planet Earth!

©-dp-1978®™
Report Spam   Logged
Arcturus
Superhero Member

« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2015, 06:56:38 pm »

Huh 2 different versions of Atlas Huh

From the perspective of Greek mythology Atlas was always considered a Titan.

From the Living Webster Dictionary of Mythology:

Atlas, son of Iapetus and Clymene; brother of Prometheus; and father of the Hesperides, Hyades, Pleiades, and Calypso. A Titan who warred against the gods, he was condemned to carry the heavens on his shoulders.

-dp-

There is no way that Atlas could be both the son of Poseidon and Cleito and his uncle (or from his father Chronos' generation). There had to be two different Atlas. And, if the son of Poseidon was supposed to be a Titan, that would also mean that the rest of the siblings (five sets of twins) were also Titans and they were not.
Report Spam   Logged
pLANeT@LANTis

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2015, 02:15:45 am »

So what is the verdict on this?
       What are the historical facts?
       Were there two Atlas'?

Or was Plato the only one to say Poseidon had ten
       sons, the eldest called Atlas?

I haven't really looked into it, my books seem to
       suggest there was one Atlas.

Has this issue been discussed on this forum?

Here is an interesting quandary; when were
       the Atlas Mountains named, and which Atlas were
       they named after?

Report Spam   Logged
Arcturus
Superhero Member

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2015, 03:24:42 pm »

Sure, well, academics of course ignore Plato's account altogether, they believe he made the whole thing up, perhaps invested Poseidon with more sons just as he gave Solon a trip to Sais he perhaps didn't take. Mythologists seem to ignore the contradiction, it is a myth after all.

Yet, there was a King Atlas in Morocco, which is why a lot of Atlantologists cite that as a location for Atlantis. Like you said, there is an Atlas Mountain range named for one of the two and the Atlantic Ocean was also said to be named for Atlas as well. I think the Atlantic was named by the era of Herodotus.
Report Spam   Logged
pLANeT@LANTis

« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2015, 11:01:55 am »

In the time of Herodotus wasn't it referred to as the sea of Atlas?
        And if the Sea of Atlas and the Atlas Mountains were suitably named because they complimented each other  geographically, then the Atlas Mountain range which predominantly borders the southwest coast of the Mediterranean, would make the western Mediterranean Sea the historical Sea of Atlas.

Then it would all depend upon which Atlas this mountain range was named after and when, and was this King Atlas of Morocco of a more recent history? Because I don't think Morocco the country would have existed way back then!

I would tend to believe that the Atlas Mountains were named after the Titan of the original Greek mythology, the Atlas who had seven daughters, known as the seven sisters, who were transformed into doves by Zeus and placed in the heavens and became the Seven Stars of the constellation Pleiades. And these seven sisters, I believe were also who St John was referring to as the Seven Stars in the right hand of God, who were the Seven Angels of the seven churches in Revelation.

-dp-
Report Spam   Logged
pLANeT@LANTis

« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2015, 03:33:10 pm »

"THE GEOMETRY OF THE GEOLOGY OF THE GEOGRAPHY™

In other words the seven churches of Asia Minor are near the west coast of present day Turkey and the central Aegean Sea , but back then were part of the Greek Empire.
       All seven churches our within close proximity to the Greek island of Patmos, between 55 to approximately 155 miles away, with the ancient city of Ephesus being the closest to Patmos.

Saint John says; "As for the mystery of the seven stars which you saw in My right hand * * * the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches * * *

Well in my opinion St John in a very indirect coded way is making reference to the local geography. I make this assumption on the geological and geographical fact that the mountain range on the northwest coast of Africa called Atlas, the father of the seven stars is in line and pointing at his seven daughters on the central coast of the eastern Aegean Sea. They are the angels of the seven churches [representing heaven], and remember that their father Atlas was condemned for warring against the gods to carry the heavens on his shoulders.

©-dp-shellstarsystyms1978™

Report Spam   Logged
Hermocrates

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2015, 03:38:09 pm »

Well! You two have gone back and forth on this topic, while introducing some very interesting, possible connection between the New Testament's Revelation and Atlantis. But none has considered that the Revelation has to do with the distant future at the time of writing (90 AD approximately) by most Christian critics. Other experts interpret the revelation as relating to the period of writing and before, meaning that John was referring to Rome and one of its cruel emperors; Nero by some. And the Revelation was written as a sort of encouragement and inspirational manuscript for the early Christians under persecution. Now, the only way that Plato's Atlantis tale can be related to the Revelation is only if there is a sure indication and belief that Atlantis is an Empire of the future, and not the past as Plato put it. Plato just gave us a little white lie with placing Atlantis in the past. Why? God of course! If one believes that Revelation is all about future prophecy about our current times, and the return of Jesus and the end of times, as we know them, then there is more than meets the eye. If this hypothesis is plausible, that Revelation is from God, and that Plato's Atlantis is connected with it, then Plato must also have been inspired by Devine dispensation. Then it follows that Atlantis is all about a tale of the future... our times!

I myself have entertained this same notion, being, initially, attracted by the same passages regarding the fall of Babylon the Harlot. However, I went much further, and by understanding Plato completely, not just the dialogues mentioning Atlantis, I was able to make certain other connections. I sort have the "puzzle" half finished.

If you two have anything else to add to this, I'm willing to use my "wild" imagination and take the myth one level up. We might as well use our imagination, as no one has yet found any "facts' and sound evidence in first, assuring whether Atlantis is a myth or not, and second, just where and when. It seems that Atlantis has been speculated to have existed in almost every place on earth, and at various time periods. One of you two now speculates that Atlantis is not just what Plato said it was, a very large Island Continent, but the whole earth. Of all the wild goose chases that have gone down in the past, I guess ours cannot be any worst. And since some have, and are still speculating that Atlantis is all about Aliens from other worlds, we might as well go searching for it in the "Coming Kingdom of God."  Personally, I can make that connection plausible, also through the Bible. But I like it to make it clear that I'm not a religious zealot, but just another modern day admirer and wishful disciple of Socrates/Plato. 

Since this thread has been silent for a few months, I'm wondering if there is still any interest in pursuing it further. Let me know!
Report Spam   Logged
Rennes-le-Château
Superhero Member

« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2015, 11:43:55 pm »

Now, the only way that Plato's Atlantis tale can be related to the Revelation is only if there is a sure indication and belief that Atlantis is an Empire of the future, and not the past as Plato put it. Plato just gave us a little white lie with placing Atlantis in the past. Why? God of course! If one believes that Revelation is all about future prophecy about our current times, and the return of Jesus and the end of times, as we know them, then there is more than meets the eye. If this hypothesis is plausible, that Revelation is from God, and that Plato's Atlantis is connected with it, then Plato must also have been inspired by Devine dispensation.

You wondered why in the earlier topic I referred to you as a religious zealot.
!
I do have one question for you. What difference does it even make to you what difference the tale of Atlantis even means at all if you are not a believer, as you said in other topics? You said you don't believe in Atlantis, so why even bother trying to link it to the Bible as you constantly said? There wouldn't seem to be much point.

Unless, of course, you are looking for ways to corroborate the Bible, which, of course, would make you guilty as charged.
Report Spam   Logged
Hermocrates

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2015, 02:14:48 pm »

Now, the only way that Plato's Atlantis tale can be related to the Revelation is only if there is a sure indication and belief that Atlantis is an Empire of the future, and not the past as Plato put it. Plato just gave us a little white lie with placing Atlantis in the past. Why? God of course! If one believes that Revelation is all about future prophecy about our current times, and the return of Jesus and the end of times, as we know them, then there is more than meets the eye. If this hypothesis is plausible, that Revelation is from God, and that Plato's Atlantis is connected with it, then Plato must also have been inspired by Devine dispensation.

You wondered why in the earlier topic I referred to you as a religious zealot.
!
I do have one question for you. What difference does it even make to you what difference the tale of Atlantis even means at all if you are not a believer, as you said in other topics? You said you don't believe in Atlantis, so why even bother trying to link it to the Bible as you constantly said? There wouldn't seem to be much point.

Unless, of course, you are looking for ways to corroborate the Bible, which, of course, would make you guilty as charged.

Shush little baby, I was trying to engage the two that were the only posters on this topic (the initiator, Planet, and responder, Arcturus.) You are too dense and unable to understand anything. If you are the only comer, then we may as well close the topic. Please go home, your mother is looking for you!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: