Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 04:15:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Underwater caves off Yucatan yield three old skeletons—remains date to 11,000 B.C.
http://www.edgarcayce.org/am/11,000b.c.yucata.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Treasure hunter finds Viking hoard

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Treasure hunter finds Viking hoard  (Read 279 times)
Valkyrie
Superhero Member

« on: October 30, 2014, 01:03:56 am »

Treasure hunter finds Viking hoard
A Carolingian pot was among the discoveries
Treasure trove unit/ PA

A Carolingian pot was among the discoveries Treasure trove unit/ PA

Mike Wade
Published at 12:01AM, October 13 2014

A metal detector enthusiast blessed with “a magic touch” has discovered one of the most significant Viking hoards of the past century in southwest Scotland, his third outstanding find in less than a year.

Derek McLennan, 47, from Hollybush, Ayrshire, said he was stunned by his latest success, despite a track record which has seen him unearth hundreds of medieval coins at two separate sites.

This time, working in a pasture owned by the Church of Scotland, he pulled out an arm ring with a distinctive Viking pattern.

That initial find at a site in Dumfries and Galloway was made last month. In the hours and days that followed, Mr McLennan and the county archaeologist unearthed more than 100 objects, including a silver Christian cross inlaid in gold, probably from Dublin, and a large Carolingian pot complete with its lid, one of only three of its kind known in Britain.

The hoard dates from the 9th or 10th century and includes stamp-decorated bracelets and glass beads similar to some found in Scandinavia. Other exceptional items include a golden bird pin, likely to be Anglo Saxon, and large collection of silver and gold jewellery and ingots. The total estimated value is about £1 million.

The first find was the most exciting, said Mr McLennan. He immediately phoned home but was too overjoyed to speak. “I ran to the car for my phone, but I hardly had any battery left, so I called my partner Sharon to get her to phone the [treasure Trove] unit,” he said.

“I was so emotional I was incoherent — Sharon thought I’d crashed the car. Eventually I calmed down a little and explained what I’d found.”

After taking early retirement, Mr McLennan began detecting three years ago. Together with friends from “the Ayrshire Division” — a four-man detectorist club — his most publicised find so far was at Twynholm near Kirkcudbright, where he unearthed 322 medieval coins. A discovery earlier this year was reported to be even larger, but both pale into insignificance against the Viking hoard.

A number of Viking treasures have been found in the UK in recent years. The Vale of York Hoard was uncovered in 2011, including arm and neck rings and more than 600 coins. The Ainsbrook Hoard, found near Thirsk in North Yorkshire, contained about 130 precious objects and was unearthed in 2003.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Valkyrie
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 01:04:48 am »

A Carolingian pot was among the discoveries
Treasure trove unit/ PA
Report Spam   Logged
Valkyrie
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 01:05:06 am »

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4234585.ece?shareToken=6f664230e2c29f905f3ccd3d2249decb
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: