Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 09:00:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ARE Search For Atlantis 2007 Results
http://mysterious-america.net/bermudatriangle0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Ancient Maps

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancient Maps  (Read 13276 times)
Morrison
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 02:08:50 am »

Ancient Greece:

Report Spam   Logged
Morrison
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 02:09:54 am »

Iberia:

Report Spam   Logged
Morrison
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 02:11:51 am »

1595 world map by geographer Gerard Mercator

Courtesy of the National Archives of Canada ( NMC 016097 )
Report Spam   Logged
Morrison
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 02:13:17 am »

Mouth of the Nile
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 03:22:53 am »

Those are beautiful maps.  Fabulous art work for each time period.
On my search for "truth and enlightenment" I delved into a lot of things, and below is a "paste" of an entry I made in another forum regarding how the ancients could know longitude.

Before a pyramid can be built, the site must be surveyed. When one is at sea, one must know where they are. To do that, one must be able to find latitude & longitude. Historically, it seems most ancient peoples studied the stars in detail, including the Egyptians to align their pyramids, and the seafaring Phoenicians looked to the stars for a guidance system.

The ancients needed an instrument that could:
1) tell time
2)find latitude & longitude
3)measure the angle of the stars
4)predict the solstices and equinoxes
5)measure the precession of the quinoxes
6)find the ecliptic pole
7)find the North and South Poles
8)be used to make maps and charts
9)be used to design pyramids and henges

The instrument of the Ancient Wise Ones, who invented Astrology & Astronomy and functioned in the above mentioned capacities, was the CELTIC CROSS.

The Celtic Cross, which is an ancient & sacred symbol, appears to be a representation of an ancient instrument that was used by our ancestors as far back as Neolithic times. The cross is formed of an upright with cross bars set at 90 degrees to each other. In the center is a hub and on the hub is hung a wheel, designed to rotate between the crossbars on the hub. The arms are wider on the outer edge, than on the inner. The amazing cross is capable of measuring angles to an accuracy of 3 Arc minutes, showing that the re-discovery of the cross and it's purpose, may be more important than the pyramid, since the pyramid could not exist without the cross.

Remnants of such a cross were discovered by the House of Amon, in the Great Pyramid of Khufu at Giza (Egypt again!) Further relics were still in the shaft, seen clearly in the photos taken by Rudolph Gatenbrink in 1994 with his robot.

By copying and assembling the relics in a logical format, the astounding result was a cross and a plumbline of incredible accuracy.

This artifact is capable of measuring all angles possible and coupled with sufficent astronomical knowledge, it reveals all the mysteries of the Ancients; how they kept time and measured the stars, sun, moon, planets and sailed the oceans of the world. But it goes further than that, exposing the Ancient's fundamental spirituality and understanding of the world, nature and the universe.

Conclusion - the Ancients were clever dudes!
Please go to www.crichtonmiller.com to read about his resurrection of the Celtic Cross and it's purpose.

I really enjoyed the story about how he put together his information.
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Artemis
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007, 11:58:00 pm »

Celtic Cross, like this one?

Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2007, 12:33:33 am »

YES! Exactly like that!!
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2007, 01:58:34 am »

I haven't done much in the way of posting pictures, so not sure if I've followed the correct procedure.  Guess not!

That didn't work either!  Oh well.

I was trying to post a picture of the Antikythera device, which is thought to be like an ancient computer for determining all sorts of things, and supposedly was use on ships.  However, I'm wondering if it was just a "one off", and was being shipped somewhere either as a gift for someone, or to a centre of learning.

Oh - it did work!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 02:03:44 am by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2007, 02:05:38 am »

Hello Qoais & welcome to the forum,

To print pictures you have to do this:

Right click on the picture & get the web address
Copy the web address
Paste the web address on your message here and put these tags around it:

Then, of course, hit reply.

It's really very simple. There is also an icon above the smiley icons that will help you with that, too.
Report Spam   Logged

"This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits called the Pillars of Heracles; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together..."
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2007, 02:10:37 am »

Hi Morrison
Could you please tell me, when the ancients made maps, did they map areas they had actually been, or did they sometimes draw the map with what they knew and guess the rest?  I sort of think they wouldn't waste their time and resources drawing something on precious paper that they didn't know about, but then again, maybe they did.
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2007, 02:17:33 am »

Do you mean tag it with the "insert image" button?  Rats!  Whatever I did, it didn't work either.
When I right click on the picture, I then clicked on properties, but when I tried to copy the address in the drop down box, I couldn't.   I was trying, by uploading the picture to image shack to download it again to here, but it's just a thumbnail. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 02:21:06 am by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Helios
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2007, 02:24:07 am »

You have to right click on the image, then click, "select all," and then "copy." The paste the link here with the tags around it. Keep trying, you'll get the hang of it.
Report Spam   Logged

"This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits called the Pillars of Heracles; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together..."
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2007, 03:08:01 am »

Thanks for trying to help Helios.  I did what you said, and did the "copy" thing, but when I got back here, the "paste" wasn't highlighted, so I couldn't paste it in.  So, I typed in the address of the picture for my post about Zecharia Sitchin and Ancient Flying Machines, but it's frustrating not to be able to do something so simple!
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Morrison
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2007, 09:05:48 pm »

Hi Morrison
Could you please tell me, when the ancients made maps, did they map areas they had actually been, or did they sometimes draw the map with what they knew and guess the rest?  I sort of think they wouldn't waste their time and resources drawing something on precious paper that they didn't know about, but then again, maybe they did.

Au contraire, Qoais!

Actually, they did maps from both actual knowledge and from "hearsay" (depending on the era), meaning that they might take folk tales of whatever ancient lands a sailor might say he had been and, lo and behold, it would appear upon a map.  Remember, before the Middle Ages, very few ships (apart from perhaps the Phoenicians and the Romans) had been out in the Atlantic.

Many fabled lands such as the Isle of Demons, the Isle of Brazil and Antillia (the 14th century version of Atlantis) appeared on maps for ages before being struck from them after never beng found.  A good book on this is one called "Phantom Islands of the Atlantic."

I would actually like to see some old Viking maps, I'm sure they had it going on.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark of Australia

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2007, 01:38:34 pm »

Check this out !! 

I'm fairly excited about this since I am Australian .They have found an ancient map by the Portuguese that shows the East Coast of Australia and it is from a very early time ,only 30 years after Columbus discovering the Americas!. That is very early to be fishing about on the east coast of Australia.  The strange thing is that I found out about this on an entertainment pop up alongside stories such as 'Keith Urban thrills fans in Sydney' and ' Britney leaves rehab'  Undecided ,...it's because it was an Aussie site i guess. and it would be quite sensational news for us.  This is breaking news people .   It's a pity there is no picture of the map as yet.

Map 'proves' Portuguese found Australia
Wednesday Mar 21 16:53 AEDT
A 16th century maritime map proves Portuguese adventurers, not British or Dutch, were the first Europeans to discover Australia, according to a new book.

The book, Beyond Capricorn, says the map, which accurately marks geographical sites along Australia's east coast in Portuguese, proves Portuguese seafarer Christopher de Mendonca led a fleet of four ships into Botany Bay in 1522 - almost 250 years before Britain's Captain James Cook.

The map is in a Los Angeles library vault.

Australian author Peter Trickett said that when he enlarged the small map he could recognise all the headlands and bays in Botany Bay in Sydney - the site where Cook claimed Australia for Britain in 1770.

"It was even so accurate that I found I could draw in the modern airport runways, to scale in the right place, without any problem at all," Trickett told Reuters.

Trickett said he stumbled across a copy of the map while browsing through a Canberra book shop eight years ago.

He said the shop had a reproduction of the Vallard Atlas, a collection of 15 hand drawn maps completed no later than 1545 in France. The maps represented the known world at the time.

Two of the maps called "Terra Java" had a striking similarity to Australia's east coast except at one point the coastline jutted out at right angles for 1,500 kilometres.

"There was something familiar about them but they were not quite right - that was the puzzle. How did they come to have all these Portuguese place names?," Trickett said.

Trickett believed the cartographers who drew the Vallard maps had wrongly aligned two Portuguese charts they were copying from.

It is commonly accepted that the French cartographers used maps and "portolan" charts acquired illegally from Portugal and Portuguese vessels that had been captured, Trickett said.

"The original portolan maps would have been drawn on animal hide parchments, usually sheep or goat skin, of limited size," he explained.

"For a coastline the length of eastern Australia, some 3,500 kms, they would have been three to four charts."

"The Vallard cartographer has put these individual charts together like a jigsaw puzzle. Without clear compass markings its possible to join the southern chart in two different ways. My theory is it had been wrongly joined."

Using a computer, Trickett rotated the southern part of the Vallard map 90 degrees to produce a map which accurately depicts Australia's east coast.

"They provided stunning proof that Portuguese ships made these daring voyages of discovery in the early 1520s, just a few years after they had sailed north of Australia to reach the Spice Islands - the Moluccas. This was a century before the Dutch and 250 years before Captain Cook," he said.

Trickett believes the original charts were made by Mendonca who set sail from the Portuguese base at Malacca with four ships on a secret mission to discover Marco Polo's "Island of Gold" south of Java.

If Trickett is right, Mendonca's map shows he sailed past Fraser Island off Australia's northeast coast, into Botany Bay in Sydney, and south to Kangaroo Island off southern Australia, before returning to Malacca via New Zealand's north island.

Mendonca's discovery was kept secret to prevent other European powers reaching the new land, said Trickett, who believes his theory is supported by discoveries of 16th century Portuguese artefacts on the Australian and New Zealand coasts.

İAAP 2007

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=255927

http://www.bookworm.com.au/shop/scditem.asp?ProdID=76324
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 02:07:12 pm by Mark Ponta » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: